Topic locked

My World Championship preview: part two

Postby Tubberlad

Part two of my preview for the 2010 Betfred.com World Snooker Championship. Today, the focus is on Ali Carter, Jamie Cope, Joe Perry, Michael Holt, Ding Junhui, Stuart Pettman, Shaun Murphy & Gerard Greene.

John Higgins vs Barry Hawkins
Mark King vs Steve Davis
Neil Robertson vs Fergal O'Brien
Marco Fu vs Martin Gould
Ali Carter vs Jamie Cope
Joe Perry vs Michael Holt
Ding Junhui vs Stuart Pettman
Shaun Murphy vs Gerard Greene

Ryan Day vs Mark Davis
Mark Selby vs Ken Doherty
Stephen Hendry vs Anda Zhang
Mark J Williams vs Marcus Campbell
Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Liang Wenbo

Ali Carter
There's little doubt that Carter is a very good player, he was runner-up here two years ago, is a ranking event winner & finished runner-up in his defence of the Welsh Open. Obviously not a player to be taken lightly.

However, I still hold major question marks over his mental strength (although it has improved since his famous maximum in 2008), his self-belief (can he mix it with the best?) and whether he is actually good enough to be a World Champion.

I'd be surprised if Carter went all the way this year, or any other year. And he's been quite unlucky with the draw too, as Jamie Cope is a very talented potter. Perhaps he may exit a lot sooner than his lofty seeding suggests.

Verdict: First round

------------------------

Jamie Cope
The main doubts surrounding the Stoke potter seem to be his lack of mental edge. There's no doubting that the man is very talented, he's a joy to watch at times, and plays the game in an exciting attack-minded fashion. His long potting is almost up there with the likes of Williams & Robertson.

However, too often we've seen Cope lose matches from very promising positions. His 9-8 loss against Selby from 8-4 up looked particularly questionable.

That said, Ali Carter isn't exactly the definition of bottle, and I think Cope will advance. A quarter-final run looks possible.

Verdict: Quarter-finals

-----------------------

Joe Perry
Very nearly a finalist in 2008, it's hard to imagine Perry going quite so far this time

Perry is a likeable guy, and on his day a very formidable player, but in comparison to much of the top 16, he looks somewhat average. Doesn't threaten to win tournaments, and his for looks quite patchy this season.

Gentleman Joe may be leaving the part early.

----------------------

Michael Holt
Michael Holt is not going to win the World Championship. Not this year. Not next year. Not the year after.

Why? He's one of these players who doesn't keep his cards close. When Holt is on the ropes, you know he's on the ropes. And unfortunately, his temprament is nowhere near what it needs to be.

The draw is not a bad one though, and I think he may be good enough to spring a first round surprise. But I wouldn't look much further than that.

Verdict: Second round

----------------------

Ding Junhui
A UK Champion for the second time this year, Ding Junhui has improved immeasurably from an ordinary couple of seasons. However, he has still struggled a bit since his UK win and Grand Prix final opening, so maybe it's a little naive to think he's back to the Ding of old just yet.

I have little doubt in the Chinese player's ability. He's very talented, has an all-round game and a few impressive tournament wins to boot. Turning over someone of John Higgins' quality over 19 frames is a major confidence boost.

Maybe a little behind Higgins, Robertson & O'Sullivan in this year's edition, but a dark horse to watch out for.

Verdict: Semi-finals

-----------------------

Stuart Pettman
It's hard to see Pettman going too far. He has arguably the worst hairstyle ever seen on the snooker tour (which is saying something), and I don't think too many would plce him among the min contenders for top honours.

A semi-final placing in last year's China Open prove he's no soft touch, but I'd be very surprised if he toppled Ding.

-----------------------

Shaun Murphy
The 2005 winner has put down a patchy season to date. On his day one of the top three players in the world, off-form and he's a totally different proposition.

Murphy is far from the most popular player on the tour, but he can certainly threaten over longer formats. Aside from winning the Championship in 2005, he was runner-up last year, a semi-finalist in 2007 & UK Champion in 2008. He thrives over the long distance clashes, and should be writen off at your own peril.

Presuming he makes it past Gerard Greene, Murphy will probably find himself up against Ding Junhui. Don't rule Murphy out, but I think a second round exit lies in store.

Verdict: Second round

-----------------------

Gerard Greene
Greene's World Championship record does not inspire much confidence. The closest he has come to winning at the Crucible was against Steve Davis in 2005, a match he really should have won. This time last year, he was well off the pace in losing to Ali Carter.

Like all 32 players in the draw, he's no mug, but Shaun Murphy would be bitterly disappointed to go out at the first hurdle against Greene.

Re: My World Championship preview: part two

Postby Bourne

Nice write-up as ever, but i'm tempted to say that Ding shouldn't be regarded as a dark horse nowadays considering his season so far ;) I personally find it way too early to make any conclusions about this tournament, what with two events still to come before.

Postby Bourne

case_master wc wrote:I will never be convinced that the China open will provide any insight on how players will do at the World Championships.

It's not the be all and end all of course but it's a guide to form considering we haven't seen these players in action since, like, early Feb.

Postby Rocket_ron

case_master wc wrote:I will never be convinced that the China open will provide any insight on how players will do at the World Championships.

Case,
your right here, i never think of china open as a steping stone to the way things will go at the worlds. I view the china open as a warm up tournament

Postby Casey

Ding v Higgins Semi would be excellent, big ratings winner also.

Pettman's hair is stuck in 96, I bet he has a pair of aluminous addiads track bottoms to match.

Postby Roland

Yep, I agree with your analysis too tubber. Perry v Holt is the toughest one to call of that little lot. It'll be a close match and could go either way.

Postby SnookerFan

Certainly it'll be good to see Ding go on a run in The Crucible. It'd help his confidence no end.

The first two years he was in it, his first round matches were the guys who knocked him out of the Masters... How likely is that?

Postby Roland

And then he gets Hendry kicking his bottom one year and has to play him the next! One thing you notice with Ding, if a player gets a famous victory against him, that usually sees them past him for the next couple of times they meet.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:And then he gets Hendry kicking his bum one year and has to play him the next! One thing you notice with Ding, if a player gets a famous victory against him, that usually sees them past him for the next couple of times they meet.

Yes that very true, since ronnie beating him at masters final he can't cope with him. like i say its a confidence game

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:Certainly it'll be good to see Ding go on a run in The Crucible. It'd help his confidence no end.

The first two years he was in it, his first round matches were the guys who knocked him out of the Masters... How likely is that?

The way Murphy's been playing this year, he's got a great chance of semis I think. But then he has such a sh*tty record there, it's probably more likely he loses R1 against the odds :roll:

Postby Roland

rocket_ron wrote:
Sonny wrote:And then he gets Hendry kicking his bum one year and has to play him the next! One thing you notice with Ding, if a player gets a famous victory against him, that usually sees them past him for the next couple of times they meet.

Yes that very true, since ronnie beating him at masters final he can't cope with him. like i say its a confidence game

Murphy and others too. Seems Ding needs to reassure himself that he can actually beat these players then when he knows he can he breezes past them, but he gets scared if someone beats him. If he gets dicked 9-3 or something, the player that has done that to him has a bye next time they meet. It's a flaw but it's a human flaw.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

Murphy and others too. Seems Ding needs to reassure himself that he can actually beat these players then when he knows he can he breezes past them, but he gets scared if someone beats him. If he gets dicked 9-3 or something, the player that has done that to him has a bye next time they meet. It's a flaw but it's a human flaw.

sonny thats the comment of the day, brilliant analysis there sonny, i couldn't put it better myself.
brilliant reply mate <ok>

Postby GJ

the toughest one for me to predict in this section is perry v cope

perry is in poor form while holt is a loose cannon who cant be trusted

Im undecided on this one so i will go with perry as he is more reliable while holt is likely to fall apart under any pressure

Postby Smart

GJtheaussiestud wrote:the toughest one for me to predict in this section is perry v cope

perry is in poor form while holt is a loose cannon who cant be trusted

Im undecided on this one so i will go with perry as he is more reliable while holt is likely to fall apart under any pressure

Cope plays Carter first up........ Holt plays Perry - neither of these matches are straightforward comes. <ok>

Postby GJ

with ebdon and king doing well cope now has to beat carter to get in the top 16