Post a reply

Stephen Lee Statement

Postby snooky147

Please find below the statement from World Snooker with regards to Stephen Lee. Be careful what you write when discussing this.

World Snooker wrote:WPBSA Statement - Stephen Lee
14th Febuary 2013
WPBSA Statement - Stephen Lee

As a result of the referral by the Gambling Commission on 5th October 2012, Nigel Mawer the Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee of the WPBSA, launched an investigation into alleged match fixing by Stephen Lee in relation to matches at the Malta Cup 2008, the UK Championship 2008, the China Open in 2009 and the World Championship 2009.

The WPBSA has gathered a large amount of material from the Gambling Commission, West Midlands police and third parties in relation to these allegations. This has been a complex investigation where the material has had to be traced, recovered and re-evaluated with regard to the WPBSA rules.

The available evidence has now been considered and in accordance with the Disciplinary Rules, the Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee has decided that there is a case for Stephen Lee to answer in relation to a breach of the WPBSA Members Rules. These alleged breaches relate to four matches at the Malta Cup 2008, two matches at the UK Championship 2008, one match at the China Open 2009 and one match at the World Championship 2009.

The case will be heard at a formal independent hearing arranged by Sport Resolutions UK at a date to be arranged.

Stephen Lee is currently suspended from competition and Jason Ferguson, the Chairman of the WPBSA, has decided that the suspension will remain in force until the conclusion of the hearing or hearings and the determination of this matter.

The investigation into the suspicious betting in relation to Stephen Lee's Premier League match with John Higgins on 11th October 2012 is ongoing.

1. WPBSA Members Rules and Regulations (2008-9):

Section II

2.8 A Member shall not provide to any other person any information relating to snooker or billiards which that Member has by virtue of his or her position within the game and which is not publicly available with the intention that it be used by the other person for or in relation to betting.

2.9 A Member shall not directly or indirectly:
2.9.1 solicit or attempt to solicit any person (whether a Member or not) to enter into any arrangement (whether or not in return for payment or any other form of remuneration or benefit);
2.9.2 agree or attempt to agree any arrangement (whether or not in return for payment or any other form of remuneration or benefit); or
2.9.3 accept or receive or offer to receive or give or offer to give, payment or any other form of remuneration or benefit,
in connection with influencing (in any way) the outcome or conduct of a game or frame (or any other part thereof) of snooker or billiards.

Re: Stephen Lee Statement

Postby Roland

I echo that Snooky, everyone be careful what you say on this topic. We will not hesitate to hand over users details for any slanderous or libellous remarks.

Postby Casey

Very surprised to hear that a World Championship match is in question (Lee lost 10-4 to Ryan Day). However, with the money on offer at that tournament why would you bother?

The Malta Cup, less surprised – it was round robin, non ranking and at the time of the event there were lots of rumours going around that something wasn’t right.
The biggest surprise though is the 2009 UK, they mentioned two matches...he won his first match 9/8 v Allen. If I remember right during that match there were 6 century’s and Allen broke his cue half way through the match. So how could he allegedly fix this match?

Postby snooky147

Casey wrote:Very surprised to hear that a World Championship match is in question (Lee lost 10-4 to Ryan Day). However, with the money on offer at that tournament why would you bother?

The Malta Cup, less surprised – it was round robin, non ranking and at the time of the event there were lots of rumours going around that something wasn’t right.
The biggest surprise though is the 2009 UK, they mentioned two matches...he won his first match 9/8 v Allen. If I remember right during that match there were 6 century’s and Allen broke his cue half way through the match. So how could he allegedly fix this match?

I don't think you can mate, but there are all sorts of in play markets available at the time. Who Knows what happened.

Postby Skullman

It's not looking good for Lee. I'm surprised that there were so many matches under investigation, eight in total.

Even if Lee ends up being innocent, WPBSA will probably slap him on the wrist with a bringing the game into disrepute charge, which will coincidentally have a ban of the same length of his suspension.

Anyway, guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:It's not looking good for Lee. I'm surprised that there were so many matches under investigation, eight in total.

Even if Lee ends up being innocent, WPBSA will probably slap him on the wrist with a bringing the game into disrepute charge, which will coincidentally have a ban of the same length of his suspension.

Anyway, guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

2 matches is careless, 3 would be a bit stupid but 8 ????

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:ive plenty to say on this so get on the phone to your lawyers first snooky and sonny..........

Coming from the man who so publically backed Jimmy Saville you will no doubt make Lee guilty by association.

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:ive plenty to say on this so get on the phone to your lawyers first snooky and sonny..........

witz - you have been outed as a :limp: - its all over twitter :wave:

twitter - a parasites paradise, more BS and tripe on there than hairs on your head <doh>

Postby GJ

Innocent man

Postby Casey

I am glad that the verdict will once again be decided upon by a 3rd party. Expect a decision after the World Championships.

Postby Witz78

this guilty until innocent stance is a load of crap

how can he be suspended during an investigation, never mind whats happened with him being suspended for the last 4 months whilst they decided if there WAS the need for an investigation.

And how can they trawl back 5 years to find dirt on him, the police dropped their investigations donkeys years ago. If WS are going back into the archives i suggest they study all players and betting patterns. It stinks of a witch hunt to me.

And in the event hes found innocent, hes sure to sue WS for a fortune in loss of earnings, ranking points and deformation of character. Thats why suspending players before or during investigations is wrong, as it prejudices the actual case, as theres almost an obligation to find the accused guilty of something, one way or another.

Postby snooky147

As everyone knows I can't stand the sight of Lee but I would agree with Witz on this. Although the fact that the
Appeal against the initial suspension being denied would lead any sane person to the conclusion that there might be something to answer for.

Postby Wildey

you mean your lawyer ready. You have been warned.

Postby Casey

Suspension before the fact is found is harsh. John Higgins was suspended, but I guess that was different as ‘some’ of the evidence was in the public domain.

I suspect that Stephen Lee has been on the radar for the WPBSA for a while, it’s unfortunate that it has taken so long for action but it looks like they had to wait until the end of the police investigation.

Postby GJ

i didnt watch it but it looking at final score in world open final , lee's form must have dropped big time ....

His form was great before that match and after it ........

Postby Wildey

Totally 100% agree with world snooker stance.

if there must be a sacrificed lamb to clean up the sport then go for it.

Postby GJ

mate

abit harsh of it was a player you liked im sure you wouldnt say that

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:Totally 100% agree with world snooker stance.

if there must be a sacrificed lamb to clean up the sport then go for it.

Wild there never should be anything like a "sacrificed lamb". Never. This is someone livelihood you're speaking about.
Having said that I don't think WSA took the suspension decision lightly. They almost immediately declared they had no case against Maguire and Burnett when they eventually had access to the investigation material when the criminal investigation was closed and they were not suspended at any point. They did not suspend Jogia before they had made their opinion that he had indeed a case to answer.
I'm not saying that Lee is guilty - I certainly have no ground to back it - but I believe that WPBSA must have strong elements to justify the suspension decision. And remember, they did suspend John Higgins, but match fixing charges were dropped eventually. So the suspension doesn't mean the verdict is already made. It probably means that the situation is such that WPBSA feels compelled to take a strong stance to keep the trust of the betting industry, on which they rely heavily for sponsoring.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:mate

abit harsh of it was a player you liked im sure you wouldnt say that

i would the sport outranks any player

Postby GJ

sorry a sacrifical lamb suggests even if innocent stuff him

not a nice attitude mate IMO

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:sorry a sacrifical lamb suggests even if innocent stuff him

not a nice attitude mate IMO

yup

that is my stance on the matter.

to much of this rubbish happening so time to be tough.

said all im going to say on the matter

Postby Monique

Wild how would unfairly "sacrificing" player help the sport or its image? Two of the highest values in sport are fairness and ethics. That's why cheats must be punished firmly, but that's also why no innocent EVER should be punished under the pretext that nobody is bigger than the sport. If they are innocent they should not be punished, it's that simple and dumping its ethics is never to help any sports image.

Postby GJ

mon

<ok>

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Wild how would unfairly "sacrificing" player help the sport or its image? Two of the highest values in sport are fairness and ethics. That's why cheats must be punished firmly, but that's also why no innocent EVER should be punished under the pretext that nobody is bigger than the sport. If they are innocent they should not be punished, it's that simple and dumping its ethics is never to help any sports image.

teach players even think about it and your done for.

i never asked anyone to agree so respect my view to express a opinion without arguing.