Post a reply

Judd Trump: Ronnie's natural successor?

Postby Tubberlad

As we all know, Judd Trump took on Ronnie O'Sullivan last night for the second time, winning 4-2 and holding on to his 100% record against the Rocket.

Yes I know it was only the Premier League, but I don't think I've been as encouraged by a result in a long, long time. I've been very worried lately about the quality of the upcoming young players, but I honestly think Trump is something very special.

I'm not going to lose the run of myself. He has only made one ranking semi-final at the age of 20, which is hardly extraordinary.

His game is still very raw. His temprament is questionable, and he isn't very consistent. He seems a bit quick to throw in the towel when things aren't going right. But does all that sound a little familiar? A certain Ronnie O'Sullivan comes to mind.

Just as the negative aspects of Trump's game cut a familiar resemblance to young Ronnie's, so too do the postitives. On form he looks superb. His game is very pleasing on the eye, ultra-attacking, joyously positive and at times it's as if he has the cueball on a string. He's clearly oozing with talent, and his results against Ronnie suggest he's not intimidated by the bigger names.

Trump is far from the finished article just yet. He needs to work on the safeety side of his game, perhaps he needs to slow down and think clearer, he needs to work on the mental aspect of his snooker. I know it must be frustrating for a such a naturally talented young man if his flowing game is being stifled by has-beens and never-will-bes in those tiny Prestatyn Cubicles. But once he gets his game together and gains some valuable experience, results will come, tournaments will come, and hopefully World Titles will come. Rome wasn't built in a day, you have to start somewhere.

I have no doubt Trump is a classier player than any of the other young guns. He seems the natural successor to Ronnie O'Sullivan as the game's greatest entertainer. It won't happen overnight, but I think Trump will be a multiple World Champion, and could go down as a great, great player. Here's hoping.

Re: Judd Trump: Ronnie's natural successor?

Postby Wildey

never in a million years will Judd Trump succeed Ronnie.

the tubberlad Trump flatters to decieve so often im actually bored waiting for him to shine at any level now......i had high expectations of him now im resighned that he will end up a promising player that never achieved like so many before him.

Postby Tubberlad

Ronnie was like that for long enough himself Wild. He's still young, and blatantly gifted, so I'm willing to wait. Good thaings are worth waiting for

Postby Tubberlad

never in a million years will Judd Trump succeed Ronnie.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to succeed Ronnie, but I do think he will achieve a lot.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Ronnie was like that for long enough himself Wild. He's still young, and blatantly gifted, so I'm willing to wait. Good thaings are worth waiting for

as i said and as Clive Everton pointed out yesterday if Judd Trump has any sort of career ahead of him that hes promised he should be putting players like Marcus Campbell away at this stage of his career....the jury is well and trully out for me on his long term future in the sport.

Postby Tubberlad

His development has been slow, and yes, it is disappointing when he loses to players who have nowhere near his level of ability. He's got to get together <ok>

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Hendry , Sullivan and Higgins were winning tournaments before they'd turned 20 so Trump occasionally getting on tv puts everything in to perspective . He might win tournaments including the world title but I doubt if he'll be a dominating force

Postby Alex0paul

O'Sullivan was 25 when he won the World Title so Trump has 5 more attempts at the World crown before we can tell. He has achieved more than what Murphy had achieved before he was World Champion too so I will give him at least two more seasons before I start to propery judge him.

Postby ANGLO

One day some of you will understand just how special Ronnie is. There is no successor to Ronnie, he is one of a kind. I have had the pleasure of watching A.Higgins, White, and all the flair players, but they aren't a patch on Ronnie.

Jimmy said that Ronnie is' the most talented player to have ever picked up a cue'.

Comparing him to Trump is like comparing a Ferrari to a GTi.

Postby Wildey

ANGLO wrote:One day some of you will understand just how special Ronnie is. There is no successor to Ronnie, he is one of a kind. I have had the pleasure of watching A.Higgins, White, and all the flair players, but they aren't a patch on Ronnie.

Jimmy said that Ronnie is' the most talented player to have ever picked up a cue'.

Comparing him to Trump is like comparing a Ferrari to a GTi.

Ronnie is a special player but interms of a phenomenon in the sport he isnt a patch on Alex Higgins he had charistma and he was a showman Ronnie isnt.

i think snooker today is far better than it ever was in the 80s but if theres one thing missing is someone like Alex Higgins and i dont meen the bad behaviour but the presence he had was had to be seen to believed.

these people come and go but the sport servives and when Ronnie hangs up his cue someone else in his way will take on the mantle who ever that will be i dont know.

Postby SnookerFan

Why is it Ronnie fans think people that aren't understand his talent? Of course he is an exeptional talent, we can all see that. I don't think anybody has ever denied that. You'd be a moron if you thought Ronnie wasn't an absolute marvel with a cue.

The reason I dislike him is because I think he is a hammer.

It just seems a lot of people out there think that Ronnie possessing amazing ability means that he is the only person worth watching in snooker, or that anybody who likes other players as well or instead of Ronnie, means that they aren't knowledgable about the sport.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 15 Dec 2009, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Why is it Ronnie fans don't think people that aren't understand his talent? Of course he is an exeptional talent, we can all see that. I don't think anybody has ever denied that. You'd be a moron if you thought Ronnie wasn't an absolute marvel with a cue.

The reason I dislike him is because I think he is a dwad.

It just seems a lot of people out there think that Ronnie possessing amazing ability means that he is the only person worth watching in snooker, or that anybody who likes other players as well or instead of Ronnie, means that they aren't knowledgable about the sport.

i know of someone in germany that started watching snooker in 2006 Anthony Hamilton was her favarate player now its Ricky Walden.....she cant stand Ronnie and hates John Higgins even more. so it shows people are getting hooked on snooker from other players even Anthony Hamilton lets face it Hamilton was way off his best by 2006.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Why is it Ronnie fans don't think people that aren't understand his talent? Of course he is an exeptional talent, we can all see that. I don't think anybody has ever denied that. You'd be a moron if you thought Ronnie wasn't an absolute marvel with a cue.

The reason I dislike him is because I think he is a dwad.

i know of someone in germany that started watching snooker in 2006 Anthony Hamilton was her favarate player now its Ricky Walden.....she cant stand Ronnie and hates John Higgins even more. so it shows people are getting hooked on snooker from other players even Anthony Hamilton lets face it Hamilton was way off his best by 2006.

Anthony Hamilton had a best?

Postby Wildey

everyone has a best but some best is more best than others best in the end some best are not as best as it should be with a talent Hamilton had if he played his best.

is that clear ? <laugh>

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I never knew Anthony Hamilton had the power to draw new fans into Snooker.

it was a shock to me when she said it as well lol but it just goes to show its not always the so called cooler players that draw them in.....look at cheesyman from break off his idol is Michael Holt <laugh> .

Postby kostasmad

wildJONESEYE wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I never knew Anthony Hamilton had the power to draw new fans into Snooker.

it was a shock to me when she said it as well lol but it just goes to show its not always the so called cooler players that draw them in.....look at cheesyman from break off his idol is Michael Holt <laugh> .

Well I really like Antony Hamilton and i support him. He is definitely more talented than the majority of snooker players and he should had 1-2 ranking events under his belt. Great break builder. One of the best. But the reason i like the guy is that he is so cool and friendly. I was having pictures with him 5 minutes before his semi with Carter in Welsh open last year.. Articculate and it seems like a really nice guy...