Post a reply

Re: Most overrated snooker player of all time

Postby GJ

The reason i say ding is theres been hype for years about him winning the worlds and i dont see it happening TBH

He's a good lad but theres something missing

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:The reason i say ding is theres been hype for years about him winning the worlds and i dont see it happening TBH

has has won a lot of other titles though and did so from a young age, the world champs is the one that he has really failed to deliver in......which still surprises me somewhat. He still has time on his side though. <ok>

Postby Smart

Jewell wrote:Ding's a good shout. Like you say, there is something not quite all there with Ding.

Liang Wenbo and Jamie Cope are two more candidates.

Liang splits opinion amongst fans. I dislike everything about him, whereas others like everything about him.

Cope has not delivered at all and has a terrible attitude - I think most people agree with that statement.

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:The reason i say ding is theres been hype for years about him winning the worlds and i dont see it happening TBH

If hype about them winning the Worlds and not doing it, surely Jimmy White would be most? And he's even more unlikely to win the title now.

Don't think it's Ding. He has a relatively good hauler of rankers, is still only 25 and has three majors.

Postby Roland

There's no way Ding is over rated, or Jimmy White for that matter. Cope isn't over rated, he just hasn't lived up to the promise of a few years ago when he burst on the scene. Personally I would have Murphy as one of the most over rated players relatively speaking because his game has always been flawed, he just knows how to pot balls. Nothing against him, he is good to watch when he's cueing well and he goes for everything which is entertaining, but when you judge him by the standard of someone who won the Worlds when he was early 20s and when you're comparing him to the absolute top players of the last 20 years he falls short of the rest and has overachieved somewhat in my opinion. Does that make him over rated?

Postby Roland

Coming from someone who used to worship Stevens that's a decent shout too. His ability is not over rated but he's massively underachieved given his talent.

Postby Skullman

If he's overachieved, he can't really be overrated as well.

I don't know if anyone actually considers him an absolute top player. He's in a funny place in the pecking order imo. He's behind the very top players aka Robbo, Selby, Higgins (not sure about Judd) but still ahead of the rest. I think Smurph is actually perfectly rated. Everyone expects him to get far in an event but fall in the latter stages and he (almost) always does.
Last edited by Skullman on 06 Feb 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

Jewell wrote:When Stevens first burst onto the scene, I remember some BBC commenatators saying he was a cert to win the World title at some point.

And it looked that way as well. Him and Hunter were just a couple of years behind the big four and the only others of that age who could play to that standard. If you could go back to the 2000 world final when Stevens lead Williams 13-7 and tell everyone he would never win the worlds you'd have been laughed at.

Postby GJ

Shaun for me is a flat track bully in terms of he has 1 plan and thats attack

His snooker brain is below average.

He has no plan b and hes awful at cannons and getting out of snookers.

Postby Wildey

There are some from the 80s like Kirk Stevens.

when you think of Kirk you think what a Legend he was but Why? he won nothing hardly reached a final.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Willie Thorne is the most over rated player ever, by himself.

that BLOODY BLUE <laugh> :?

Postby SnookerFan

A lot of people are hyping Jack Lisowski, and he has potential. But there seems to be an attitude that he's the next Judd Trump, just because he's round about the same age and they know each other.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:A lot of people are hyping Jack Lisowski, and he has potential. But there seems to be an attitude that he's the next Judd Trump, just because he's round about the same age and they know each other.

God you are going young

How about Luca Brecel sonny Calls him a Genius :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:God you are going young

I was a bit tentative going him. He is young, and has time to improve. And has potential obviously. I was impressed when I saw him at the Welsh Open against John Higgins. So, I'm not saying he's rubbish. He isn't.

I just feel at times he gets mentioned in the same breath as Judd, just because they are mates. He's not accomplished a fraction of what Judd has.

But, then we'd have said the same about Trump pre-China Open. :D

Postby Casey

Good shout on Murphy. He had the element of surprise when he won the World Championship and facing Steven’s in the final was a big help for him. He has benefited from the seeding ever since but don’t be surprised under the flat draw that he will fall away.

Postby Roland

Murphy won't fall away, he's still better than all but a handful of players on tour but he will never be a serial tournament winner or world number 1.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild WC wrote:God you are going young

I was a bit tentative going him. He is young, and has time to improve. And has potential obviously. I was impressed when I saw him at the Welsh Open against John Higgins. So, I'm not saying he's rubbish. He isn't.

I just feel at times he gets mentioned in the same breath as Judd, just because they are mates. He's not accomplished a fraction of what Judd has.

But, then we'd have said the same about Trump pre-China Open. :D

well Jack Lisowski is doing nothing this afternoon to Prove you wrong <laugh>

3-0 down to Ian Burns with only 78 points scored and Burns scored 36 of thoes points for him in Fouls <laugh>

Postby Smart

Casey wrote:Good shout on Murphy. He had the element of surprise when he won the World Championship and facing Steven’s in the final was a big help for him. He has benefited from the seeding ever since but don’t be surprised under the flat draw that he will fall away.

agree <ok>

flat track bully as GJ says, good description, he won in 2005 with a game that was pot everything and not much else. He is tactically inept and also his breakbuilding in close is not in the same class as ROS or DING etc. <ok>

Postby Andre147

And what about Maguire folks.. i think he too is one of the most overrated players ever... I remember when he burst onto the scene when in 2004 he won the UK Championship and European Open everybody said he would be a major force in the game, even at that time when Ronnie lost to him 6-1 in the semis of the British Open he said that Maguire could rule the game for the next ten years or so, given his massive talent..

Despiste that, he only managed to win 2 more rankers since then, and the last one in 2008, the China open, was almost 5 years ago.. although recently he has reached some ranking finals, he has never quite managed to recapture that old form... everybody also said he was almost certain to win the Worlds, and had a golden chance in 2007 when he led Higgins 14-10 in the semis, but so far, aged 31, he hasn't, and I honestly think that he won't win it.

For me, he has never been the same player since he lost to Joe Perry in that 2008 Worlds quarter final match, and thus has never fulfilled the huge expectations some, including me, had on him when he won those 2 rankers in 2004 playing some unbelievable snooker.

So, in short, given the massive talent he has, I think he too can be considered a bit of an overrated player.

Postby Roland

No he's not over rated. There's confusion here between "over rated" and "under achieved" and Maguire falls in the latter category because as a player he is class in a glass.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:No he's not over rated. There's confusion here between "over rated" and "under achieved" and Maguire falls in the latter category because as a player he is class in a glass.

Yeah i think you're right, and most of us, including me, on this thread are making that confusion... maybe Jewel should have named it: "Most underachieved player of all time" and then yeah most of the players here mentioned would better fit.

In any case, given his massive talent, Mags by now should have won a lot more... I know we can say that on almost every player, but I just decided to use that example of Mags.

Postby Roland

Most underachieved player is different subject though. Most over rated player is a fair discussion albeit harsh on those whose names come up. Just as long as you're fair and don't insult the players then say what you think.