No
53%
Sit on the fence
5%

Total votes : 19

Re: Appearance Fees: YES or NO?

Postby GJ

no because winning is what matters

and a player getting more money for just appearing than the winner defeats the purpose of sport

Postby Witz78

YES

winning is what matters ultimately but all sport is a business and a liveliehood.

Happens in every other sport so why should snooker be any different.

Postby Wildey

well if a sponsor pays ronnie or any sportsman that's their business i dont agree its right but that's the world we live in a world of money whores.

so ronnies personal problems will be cleared if he has more money :roll:

i wouldn't respect Ronnie at all if he decides to play because of appearance money.

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, I don't like the idea. The more you win, the more you earn. That should be it.

But the fans love to see Ronnie, he is probably making a fortune in sponsorship anyway. I wouldn't blame him if he took money offered him, why wouldn't he?

Whether the fans like the idea or not won't matter to the person making the money.

Postby Witz78

im in favour of appearance money but i dont think Ronnie if hes coming back for the Worlds should base his decision purely on money

if hes that money driven afterall, then hed have taken advantage of being seeded as world champion through to all events this season and turned up at all so he had an easy 100k or so from prize money before he even had to lift his cue or think about it.

He clearly doesnt need the money so he should not let the issue of money cloud his judgement, if hes ready to come back then he should, if not then he aint ready.

Postby GJ

Jewell wrote:http://m.tennis.com/pro-game/2012/12/report-nadal-be-offered-12-million-play-vina-del-mar/45686/

witz said snooker is well behind tennis so no point using the tennis model only when it suits your own agenda :wave:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:im in favour of appearance money but i dont think Ronnie if hes coming back for the Worlds should base his decision purely on money

if hes that money driven afterall, then hed have taken advantage of being seeded as world champion through to all events this season and turned up at all so he had an easy 100k or so from prize money before he even had to lift his cue or think about it.

He clearly doesnt need the money so he should not let the issue of money cloud his judgement, if hes ready to come back then he should, if not then he aint ready.

agree

however if after a season out this appearance money thing Happens and Then he comes back he would have held the sport to ransomed and got his own way in the end.

im strongly oppose to this and get a bit disillusioned with the sport i just hate this Appearance money thing full stop.

i hate this Contracts footballers get...

it should be all performance related and not for turning up.

Ronnie or top player gets Cash to play in the Last 128 while a Struggling pro gets nothing.

hate it but what can i do its their money if they want to waste it on Ronnie then its their business.

Postby GJ

Jewell wrote:GJ <doh>

I wasn't comparing snooker to tennis, at all. I was just trying to make the point that top stars in other sports receive appearance fees so why not snooker? It's about time the sport moved with the current climate of global business.

i said snooker should use tennis style playing schedule and it was rubbished by others on here

so <doh> to you

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:http://m.tennis.com/pro-game/2012/12/report-nadal-be-offered-12-million-play-vina-del-mar/45686/

why show that?

doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

tennis players, Golfers, Snooker Players, Footballers you name it i hate it

Postby GJ

Jewell wrote:GJ

What has tennis style playing schedule got to do with appearance fees? <doh>

if snooker isnt doing well enough to incorporate the tennis format of playing schedule

its not good enough to have appearance fees for players like farmer dan

keep up :wave: <ok> <ok>

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Wild, I put that Rafael Nadal link up to give people an idea of how it works in other sports. It's the norm in Golf and Tennis.

well it shouldn't be the norm as far as im concerned.

it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Postby GJ

Jewell wrote:GJmug, you're probably so opposed to the idea of appearance money because you know your idol Robbo would never command any, in fact people would probably pay him to stay away! rofl

funny that as ronnie aside robbo is the most popular player according to internet searches

Postby Roland

Stuart Bingham ‏@Stuart__Bingham

Yes if I am or no if I'm not! RT @snookerisland: General Snooker Discussion • Appearance Fees: YES or NO?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Stuart Bingham ‏@Stuart__Bingham

Yes if I am or no if I'm not! RT @snookerisland: General Snooker Discussion • Appearance Fees: YES or NO?

no then <laugh>

Postby snooky147

No to Appearance fees for me. But then again I am a believer in all being paid and not being out of pocket to become a pro.
BTW £700 entrance fee for the WC this year. Jeez, that's a bit much. So a top 32 player will have paid approx. £4000 in entrance fees for the season.

Postby Witz78

i dont think there should be entrance fees

having a tour card as a professional should mean your guaranteed entry into every event

why not just go the whole hog and open up the tour completely and let everyone pay into events, similar to PTCs in that case?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:i dont think there should be entrance fees

having a tour card as a professional should mean your guaranteed entry into every event

why not just go the whole hog and open up the tour completely and let everyone pay into events, similar to PTCs in that case?

answer its better Having 64 out of pocket than 500.

Postby Roland

Jewell and GJ, cut out the personal insults. Posts have been edited.

Postby Casey

Yes, of course – as long as the money is not coming out of World snooker’s pockets. If the sponsors want to pay certain players that they believe will be adding value to their brand, who are we to say they are wrong?

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:Yes, of course – as long as the money is not coming out of World snooker’s pockets. If the sponsors want to pay certain players that they believe will be adding value to their brand, who are we to say they are wrong?

its just bribery and i thought that's illegal.

but hey

Postby Lucky

If players are gonna be able to pick and choose events id suggest appearance money will be vital. Who's going to choose to attend some of the far flung tournaments when there's a chance of barely breaking even? And if the big names stay away the particular event will die. This will be even more the case with the 128 system.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Jewell and GJ, cut out the personal insults. Posts have been edited.

<ok>

Postby Casey

Wild WC wrote:
Casey wrote:Yes, of course – as long as the money is not coming out of World snooker’s pockets. If the sponsors want to pay certain players that they believe will be adding value to their brand, who are we to say they are wrong?

but hey

No, it's business.

If player A plays in a tournament it will add £xxx to the value of the brand sponsoring, so the sponsor pays player A £xxx to ensure the turns up. Simples.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

but hey

No, it's business.

If player A plays in a tournament it will add £xxx to the value of the brand sponsoring, so the sponsor pays player A £xxx to ensure the turns up. Simples.

if players appear because of money id prefer if they don't appear at all and get a job in a brothel.

Postby Witz78

the fact is though, regardless of whether the money is prize money or appearance money, ultimately ALL players on the tour are driven by money in some sense.

This mythical world you live in where money isnt important is ridiculous.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:the fact is though, regardless of whether the money is prize money or appearance money, ultimately ALL players on the tour are driven by money in some sense.

This mythical world you live in where money isnt important is ridiculous.

yes money is important but just how much money will Sean O'Sullivan command from sponsors to appear.

the players that will be getting it are the players that already have money.

as the Rich gets Richer the Poor will be getting Poorer.

id prefere the said sponsor to put the money they can afford to pay players for services to put that Money in to Grass Roots and the players that cant afford it.

its just wrong paying millionaires more money just for playing a sport they chose to play for nothing once.

Postby Witz78

i know what your saying but thats the way of the world

Nike and other big sports brands want the Tiger Woods, Federers, McIllroys, Messis etc of this world wearing their clobber so they throw big money at them even though their super rich.

Its a perk of being a big name, in some senses you become as big as the sport whilst at your peak as you ARE pretty much the sport at that point in time, given the amount of headlines you attract, your success, influence and the way you attract lots of casual fans to the sport who wouldnt normally watch.

Ronnie kinda falls into that category too. Sure the sport will move on and survive eventually, as will golf, tennis etc when the next superstar comes along, but the fact Ronnie is the current world champion adds significant clout to him commanding appearance fees, as opposed to if he was the washed up has been some claimed last year.

And as others said above, appearance fee will def become a factor under a money list. GJ is against it, but i can bet anything that Robbo will end up getting appearance money to guarantee he plays the Aussie Open. He can almost dictate that tbh, if he threatens not to play, the event dies on its bottom pretty much, so he is in a strong bargaining position.

Postby Wildey

i know mate

but i dont have to like it one bit.

if it happens it happens.

Postby Wildey

@witz

just look at the welsh open the cash freed up by not having a last 48 round is put on the quarter final+ and not the last 32 and Last 64 their cash decreasing.

the money will be there for the top players all they got to do is pot some balls to lift a title so paying appearance on top of that seems wrong while the players that really need appearance fee just to pay a air fare gets nothing and added pressure to play well which will result in playing rubbish while top players have the comfort of cash just for turning up...

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:It's more incentive for the lower ranked players to get better and become a "top star" in their own right.

the incentive already there

be world champion and pocket £250,000