Post a reply

Alex fighting for his life in Hospital

Postby N_Castle07

Snooker star Alex Higgins was said to be fighting for life in hospital today after being rushed there with suspected pneumonia.

The frail former world champion, who has fought a long battle with throat cancer, was admitted to Belfast City Hospital yesterday with breathing problems.

Doctors managed to stabilise the 61-year-old’s condition but it is understood he is seriously ill.

Fans of the Hurricane have watched his health deteriorate rapidly in recent years. Friends and family have feared for the colourful Belfast player since he was diagnosed with throat cancer over ten years ago. He is in remission but its toll on his body is evident in his gaunt and thin appearance.

Currently living in sheltered housing on the Donegall Road in Belfast, Higgins is considered to be one of the finest snooker players of all time. He has had long-term problems with alcohol and smoking since winning the world title in 1972 and 1982.

The Hurricane’s diagnosis with pneumonia is a major setback to his determination to keep playing snooker professionally.

Despite his numerous fights and rows with referees over the years, he still plays the game regularly and appeared at the Irish Professional Championship in 2005 and 2006. He entered the Northern Ireland Amateur Championship in May last year to “give it a crack” but failed to appear for his opening match.

Higgins has been an inspiration for many of today's best players, including Ken Doherty, Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan, who said: “Alex was an inspiration to players like Jimmy White and thousands of snooker players all over the country, including me. The way he played at his best is the way I believe the game should be played. It was on the edge, keeping the crowd entertained.”
Last edited by N_Castle07 on 01 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Alex Higgins rushed to Hospital

Postby N_Castle07

He looked even worse in the news picture i don't know how to load it but if you type in "Alex Higgins in hospital" into Google you can see the photo on the link he looks really ill. I hope this is not the end.

Ps Sonny i would never make something like this up that would be shocking

Re: Alex Higgins rushed to Hospital

Postby Roland

I know man, just one of those stories you hope will be a wind up when you see it

Re: Alex fighting for his life in Hospital

Postby Bourne

I must say I have never been his biggest fan but can only admire how he carries on battling this illness, pull through quickly Alex <ok>

Postby Witz78

God, this doesnt sound too promising. Sadly ive been kind of half expecting to hear this news for a while now given the increasingly gaunt state hes been in lately.

Its a real shame that snooker in general has just washed their hands completely and forgotten about him. His friendship with Jimmy has been the only link really he has with the game.

Hope you pull through Alex (i'll even let you off with that £20 you still owe me)

Postby Wildey

not seen this news until now due to concentrating on the tourno in hand and domestic bliss.

when i first saw this i thought it was a april fools joke then i thought what a sad bastard N Castle was to play this prank (no offence n castle <ok> )

so its true then

if theres any man able to pull through this again its Alex Higgins ..lets hope so what a man and what a legend.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:not seen this news until now due to concentrating on the tourno in hand and domestic bliss.

when i first saw this i thought it was a april fools joke then i thought what a sad bar steward N Castle was to play this prank (no offence n castle <ok> )

so its true then

if theres any man able to pull through this again its Alex Higgins ..lets hope so what a man and what a legend.

:sad:

<laugh>

Postby Roland

"I'm assured Alex Higgins is not 'fighting for his life' in hospital as has been reported" - Dave Hendon

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:"I'm assured Alex Higgins is not 'fighting for his life' in hospital as has been reported" - Dave Hendon

<ok> thats good to hear.

Alex is actually due to play at the Crucible in the week before the main event starts as part of the Snooker Legends tour with Jimmy, Cliff etc, hopefully he will be able to fulfill this then if his plight is being over exaggerated.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:"I'm assured Alex Higgins is not 'fighting for his life' in hospital as has been reported" - Dave Hendon

could be afterall a sick april fools joke then .

Postby Roland

I doubt it. Media speculation - he's probably in hospital so hopefully it's a case as not as bad as first suspected.