Post a reply

Virgo V Thorne

Postby GJ

Its clear Dennis Taylor is the main commentator and wont be replaced , im not a fan of his but at least he has eased off on the off topic BS like golf.

But my main issue is why Virgo is picked ahead of Thorne as it makes no sense at all.

Willie's commentary is good , he always tries to educate new snooker fans of the shot the player is going to play and when i fIrst started watching snooker i found this very helpful.

Compare this is to Virgo who is only known for saying WHERES THE CUEBALL GOING , WHERES IT GOING.

Secondly Thorne isnt afraid to critiscise any player if they play the wrong shot.

Where as Virgo is biased and you can tell by his tone of voice if the player he likes is winning or losing a match and hes getting worse.

How the BBC can justify picking Virgo over Thorne is a mystery to me.

Also Hendry is a good addition to the comentary box but Parrot is beyond awful , how they think him or Virgo are better at the job than thorne is a complete mystery.

Re: Virgo V Thorne

Postby Casey

Yes, I am surprised that they chose Virgo over Thorne. Virgo comes across as a grumpy old man these days (maybe he spent too much time with Les Dennis :) )

Thorne is a very good commentator in my opinion. I am sure he talks less BS than the rest. It's very clear they are phasing him out and within 12 months he might be off the BBC altogether.

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:Yes, I am surprised that they chose Virgo over Thorne. Virgo comes across as a grumpy old man these days (maybe he spent too much time with Les Dennis :) )

Thorne is a very good commentator in my opinion. I am sure he talks less BS than the rest. It's very clear they are phasing him out and within 12 months he might be off the BBC altogether.

A real shame seems hes been phased out just like clive everton was

For me those 2 along with griff are the best 3 commentators in snooker.

Postby Lucky

Thorne does the prem league on Sky........beeb can be a bit childish.

Postby GJ

Lucky wrote:Thorne does the prem league on Sky........beeb can be a bit childish.

good point lucky

Its no coincidence that him and everton who both do sky snooker are both sidelined from BBC snooker

PATHETIC as usual from the BBC

Postby SnookerFan

Thorne is okay. He sometimes gets a bit pissy if a player doesn't do the shot he suggests, even if the shot the player choses comes off.

I'd probably put him as better than Virgo. I was beginning to warm to Virgo a bit, but having him at almost every match at The Masters last week I remembered why he gets so much flak. I lost track of how many times he was chatting on about something, and I just thought; "Oh shut up, Virgo."

Postby The Cueist

GJ wrote:
Lucky wrote:Thorne does the prem league on Sky........beeb can be a bit childish.

good point lucky

Its no coincidence that him and everton who both do sky snooker are both sidelined from BBC snooker

PATHETIC as usual from the BBC

Brilliant in my book,Get's on my tit's.

The guy's attitude is"my way or no way".

TA-LA!!!!!!!!!WILLIE!!!!!!!!!!!Safe journey to the bookies.

Virgo is a decent working class fella who loves the game and it's players and his"Where's the white going" is spot on.

Everton is a different kettle of fish,Greatest commentator ever for the game of snooker.

Neal Foulds,Excellent.

Hendry,Excellent

Doherty,marmite.

So have that Lemsip fan. ;-)

Postby GJ

I am on lemsip flu medicine at the moment for the flu

Postby The Cueist

GJ wrote:I am on lemsip flu medicine at the moment for the flu

I prefer Whisky when i have the flu,Get's ya sweating it out quicker.
If a real bad flu take it with hot milk.

it will do wonder's for you man. ;-)

Postby GJ

cheers

Postby The Cueist

No stress man,It work always works for me.i had my flu in November due to staying out in the cold on Guy Fawkes night burning rubbish on a great big bonfire. :-D

Jimmy White should have done some commentating,I mean Ken Doherty,I cant make him out sometimes.

Postby Wildey

i think the BBC is going down the route of "celebrity commentators" or thinking having players of recent years might mean more people that emphasise with them tuning in.

its a case of the BBC Off the pulse of what their Audience want.

Willie or Virgo or Taylor i think each of them has Faults but for me the Main bone of Contention is Clive Everton being treated like he has and Neal Foulds and Terry Griffiths being employed as Part timers.

those 3 are Better than Most of the Current BBC Lot.

Postby The Cueist

I would go along with that,Everton being a very bizzare decision and not unlike when they got rid of Jack Karneham in the mid 90's.

Hendry is a sensible choice.
Davis is dated and jaded,I like Davis but his time is up for tv presenting.
He is in an awkward place being Hearns best mate with so many anti-Hearn opinions.

Postby Wildey

The Cueist wrote:I would go along with that,Everton being a very bizzare decision and not unlike when they got rid of Jack Karneham in the mid 90's.

Hendry is a sensible choice.
Davis is dated and jaded,I like Davis but his time is up for tv presenting.
He is in an awkward place being Hearns best mate with so many anti-Hearn opinions.

for me a Good BBC Team would be

Clive Everton
Neal Foulds
Terry Griffiths
Stephen Hendry
Dave Hendon

id keep Davis on but Never let him commentate let him do the studio Work.

Parrott is Grating on me and well Ken Laughs at everything.

Postby GJ

ken and parrot are hopeless

Postby Skullman

Don't mind Parrott. Think we need someone like Davis or Virgo commentating as well, so we have another safety savvy commentator.

Postby GJ

Foulds is very underrated IMO

Him and thorne at the worlds is one of my fav combos

They team up really well

Postby The Cueist

About right there with your line up.

Doherty,Out for sure in my book.

Davis in studio,Yes he is a wise old fella so no problem there.

Dont know much about Hendon tbh,I have heard of him and seen him on twitter.
I dont tweet much as dont really get it mate.

Postby Skullman

Skullman wrote:Don't mind Parrott. Think we need someone like Davis or Virgo commentating as well, so we have another safety savvy commentator.

Actually scratch.that. If we could have any of the current commentators, I'd pick Angles McManus over Davis, Virgo or Parrott.

<doh> Can't believe I forgot him.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Don't mind Parrott. Think we need someone like Davis or Virgo commentating as well, so we have another safety savvy commentator.

Terry Griffiths

Postby GJ

My top 4

Thorne
Griffiths
Foulds
hendo - very impressed so far

Postby Lucky

As I've said before, the Beeb don't like any of their 'team' working for any other organisation. The sooner the BBC lose one or all of the majors, the better. Snooker coverage is tired and dated and still based on the assumption that snookers fanbase is the older generation nodding off whilst watching in the afternoon. A change of broadcaster would inject some new ideas and impetus. But you can't expect another broadcaster to take on the German Open and try and jazz it up, it'll take a biggie to get them interested. Everyone always though that the BBC were the be all and end all of test cricket, channel 4 took over for the ashes in 2005 and revolutionized the way cricket was broadcast and it took off like never before, winning every award in the process. I think the same thing could happen to snooker........SKY showing the UK Championship, flat 128 system, multi tables to choose from.....it could be a whole new dawn <ok>

Postby Skullman

Found a list of commentators I mentioned in an earlier thread:

Skullman wrote:Clive Everton
Dave Hendon
Neal Foulds
Stephen Hendry
Angles McManus
Terry Griffiths

With one of the first three always paired with one of the bottom three.

Postby GJ

Lucky wrote:As I've said before, the Beeb don't like any of their 'team' working for any other organisation. The sooner the BBC lose one or all of the majors, the better. Snooker coverage is tired and dated and still based on the assumption that snookers fanbase is the older generation nodding off whilst watching in the afternoon. A change of broadcaster would inject some new ideas and impetus. But you can't expect another broadcaster to take on the German Open and try and jazz it up, it'll take a biggie to get them interested. Everyone always though that the BBC were the be all and end all of test cricket, channel 4 took over for the ashes in 2005 and revolutionized the way cricket was broadcast and it took off like never before, winning every award in the process. I think the same thing could happen to snooker........SKY showing the UK Championship, flat 128 system, multi tables to choose from.....it could be a whole new dawn <ok>

have to agree lucky

The BBC dont give a damn even the worlds this year 1 table available on bbc red button

disgrace and i got free sat thinking it would cover both as freeview 302 was scrapped now they ditch free sat option as well

I agree 100 % sky need to take over the majors

Postby Wildey

Lucky wrote:As I've said before, the Beeb don't like any of their 'team' working for any other organisation. The sooner the BBC lose one or all of the majors, the better. Snooker coverage is tired and dated and still based on the assumption that snookers fanbase is the older generation nodding off whilst watching in the afternoon. A change of broadcaster would inject some new ideas and impetus. But you can't expect another broadcaster to take on the German Open and try and jazz it up, it'll take a biggie to get them interested. Everyone always though that the BBC were the be all and end all of test cricket, channel 4 took over for the ashes in 2005 and revolutionized the way cricket was broadcast and it took off like never before, winning every award in the process. I think the same thing could happen to snooker........SKY showing the UK Championship, flat 128 system, multi tables to choose from.....it could be a whole new dawn <ok>

i agree Sky wants a Real Major they would snap up the World Championship in heart beat.

the Problem could be this Exclusive Coverage thing Sky has.

will they be willing to share with other Channels like Eurosport?

Postby GJ

wild

Not sure all i know is prem football can be wathced online from various channels not just sky

Postby The Cueist

Sponsors like the Beeb.Shows they are a legitimate and trusted company to the public as there name is being broadcast all over it for the duration of tournament ;-) Well you have to take Saville out of the equation of course.

McManus,Alot of time for that guy.
I like Dominic Dale as a commentator,Has a nice way about him and of course is very
knowledgeble .

Postby Skullman

Actual channels or are they like fromsport?

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:Actual channels or are they like fromsport?

wilds fav free site

HA HA

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:

have to agree lucky

The BBC dont give a damn even the worlds this year 1 table available on bbc red button

disgrace and i got free sat thinking it would cover both as freeview 302 was scrapped now they ditch free sat option as well

I agree 100 % sky need to take over the majors

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA <