Post a reply

Robbo's Main Weakness ?

Postby GJ

Robbo needs to play the table not the man .

For me its that simple as i think his downfall comes when over thinking and worrying too much about what his opponent may do.

Against Muprhy he played his own game and looked happy where as yesterday he looked nervous and was being far too cautious.

At the end of the day its about potting balls and so its irrelevant who hes facing , yes safety and tactics are important but he was over thinking all aspects of his game and this was due to who he was playing.

So to sum up i dont believe robbo gets mental scars as he has dealt with bad losing records to other players before e.g maguire and trump but next time he faces mark selby I hope he plays the table not the man.

Re: Robbo's Main Weakness ?

Postby Wildey

Robbo's Weakness is he is Human.

and sometimes by being Human he loses Matches.

Don't over think why he lost yesterday mate.

When 2 Great players play some you win and some you lose.

Postby Sickpotter

Playing the player and not the table is a sure sign the player is not comfortable with their game for some reason. Could be burnout, could be they watched tapes of their opponent that put them in a negative mindset, etc. etc.

Selby and Higgins are two players who never quit and don't mind scrappy frames. Those traits make them very hard opponents for the predominantly big break/century or nothing players on tour today.

Seems like a lot of the top 16 lack a "B" game these days and with the busy schedule it's more important now than ever..

Postby Smart

Jewell wrote:I don't think he's all there mentally, TBH. Far too often he's collapsed in a heap when his opponent has put him under some genuine pressure, yesterday being a prime example of that.

he looked troubled in his head, a fish out of water, he knew that coughing and rattling the ice was not gonna work but he did try the toilet break and Wiggy just laughed at it <ok>

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:I don't think he's all there mentally, TBH. Far too often he's collapsed in a heap when his opponent has put him under some genuine pressure, yesterday being a prime example of that.

you really are a bit simple aren't you?

Postby Witz78

(a) Hes ginger
(b) Hes an Aussie
(c) He has a persistant cough
(d) He may have the early onset of Parkinsons which causes him to rattle the ice in his ice bucket when opponents are at the table
(e) He has a weak bladder which leads to him having to go the toilet mid-frame.

other than that, he seems to have a lot going for him.... :D

Postby Alpha

Wild WC wrote:Robbo's Weakness is he is Human.

I agree, Robertson doesn't have any major weaknesses that I can think of, even his breakbuilding (called amateurish by Hendry at the UK) has improved to the extent that he was the most prolific century maker in the tournament. He just got beaten by the better man yesterday.

Btw, i wish people would lay off Robertson for his reaction to his opening round win over Ding. He was half a ball roll away from a first round exit in a tournament that means so much to the players

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Why be upset about still? Hendo is long gone and the game is better for it. It's time to move on.

tell yourself that

nobody keeps hendry's name on forums more than you.

Postby GJ

Sickpotter wrote:Playing the player and not the table is a sure sign the player is not comfortable with their game for some reason. Could be burnout, could be they watched tapes of their opponent that put them in a negative mindset, etc. etc.

Selby and Higgins are two players who never quit and don't mind scrappy frames. Those traits make them very hard opponents for the predominantly big break/century or nothing players on tour today.

Seems like a lot of the top 16 lack a "B" game these days and with the busy schedule it's more important now than ever..

agree 100 % sick

Witz im all for banter but trying to make light of a serious health condition which alot of people have is pathetic your better than that.

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:Playing the player and not the table is a sure sign the player is not comfortable with their game for some reason. Could be burnout, could be they watched tapes of their opponent that put them in a negative mindset, etc. etc.

agree 100 % sick

Witz im all for banter but trying to make light of a serious health condition which alot of people have is pathetic your better than that.

dont go all politically correct on me :limp:

i thought you were better than that claptrap

Postby Lucky

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:

agree 100 % sick

dont go all politically correct on me :limp:

i thought you were better than that claptrap

Plus a persistant cough isn't that big a health issue!

Postby Simone

What immediately shines through from young Sean O´Sullivan is that he is playing the table. Same must be said about Wenbo also. Luca Brecel seems to have awesome technical and mathematical brilliance. Obviously those are great adds, but playing the table - approach gives a magnificent passion for the game and tournaments. Snooker table is big and there is endless variations of balls being spread around the table, so playing the table - approach is what basically everyone should have in my opinion.

Jack Lisowski seems to have more flair and drive than any other ever, but then there might be danger of playing the audiences and big crowds and then possible going off the boil every now and then..

What I am saying is that Robetson and other current top players perhaps aren´t playing the table as well as Sean O´Sullivan, Wenbo or perhaps Michael White. Surely they have more experience, weapons and match toughness and so on.

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:I am simply keeping alive the legacy left behind by Hendo. Besides, Hendry himself is keeping himself in spotlight by doing his BBC work.

Why does he not just dissappear like Ronnie has done? Surely he doesn't need the money.

<doh>

So, being a pundit is keeping yourself in the spotlight? How come you don't accuse Steve Davis or John Parrott for staying in the spotlight?

Or shall we just get rid of televison personalities altogether? In case people think that snooker is all about Hazel Irvine.

Postby Wildey

jewell puts a whole new meaning to <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:Robbo's Weakness is he is Human.

Mark the day! I agree with wild on this.
It's very rare that a player has a whole tournament without a bad session or a bad match. Robbo had it in the first session of the final, just when Selbs who had been struggling before was feeling refreshed. it just happened.
I would have loved it a bit closer (BUT with a 7pm start and a 9/10 split). Both would have been deserving Champs. Selby is the one who won, well done to him. Robbo I'm sure will be disappointed but not hurt in the long term by this defeat.

Postby GJ

Mon

On reflection you and wild are both right all players are human and it was a bad day at the office for robbo nothing more.