Post a reply

It's time to forget about the past and UNITE!!!

Postby Roland

So Barry Hearn's proposals are finally public

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=645

There has been plenty of in fighting over the years over where snooker should go, and there have been proposals that have been quashed without chance to show their worth, and there has been bitterness and talk of snooker being on the way out as a sport.

Barry Hearn has stuck his head on the block for snooker and it's about time everyone got together and put the past behind them and looked to the future and got firmly behind him.

This means the players need to get off their backsides and show as close to 100% turnout as possible when the new proposals are put to the vote.

This also means those often despicable beings who infiltrate internet forums and comments sections on snooker websites with nothing positive to say about the game also need to get behind the current Chairman and help to put this great sport back where it belongs, inside the public conscience. No more negativity, no more looking to find holes where holes aren't there. No more slagging off snooker for the hell of it. No more giving ammunition to the snooker brigade in the media. After all, if you hate the game that much then why do you waste your time on websites dedicated to snooker? Either embrace the future or clear off, snooker doesn't need you!

If anyone has any better ideas than Barry Hearn and is in a position to do something then I'd like to know who. For this reason alone he deserves everyone's support. For his plans are nothing short of revolutionary and personally I am 110% behind him.

To Barry Hearn :bubbly:

and to snooker :cheers:

Re: It's time to forget about the past and UNITE!!!

Postby Wildey

sonny when the money grabbing tit delivers ill get behind him lets just say the jury is out on anything barry hearn has to say.

Postby Tubberlad

Spot on Sonny <ok> lets put the game first.

His calender isn't perfect, but it's an improvement, and an important stepping stone. Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that.

To Snooker <cool>

Postby SnookerFan

Well, I do my bit, I go to several live snooker events. At some points I've been one of a couple of dozen people there.

Come on people. For all those that complain that there aren't enough people in snooker crowds, dig deep, get to the matches. We can do it. :D

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:Well, I do my bit, I go to several live snooker events. At some points I've been one of a couple of dozen people there.

Come on people. For all those that complain that there aren't enough people in snooker crowds, dig deep, get to the matches. We can do it. :D

im with you on this one, now that the quals are at shefield im gonna go alot

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Well, I do my bit, I go to several live snooker events. At some points I've been one of a couple of dozen people there.

theres many things that contribute to arenas looking empty.

many times ive gone to matches first frame its quite full then people come and go and some dont come back.

snooker is a difficult sport to watch in a arena because human nature is you got to move about and snooker doesent allow it.

Postby gallantrabbit

Absolutely 100% agree. If any one single player rejects this idea they want their bumps feeling. If you want to let snooker die vote againsst Hearn. If you want new life breathed in vote for Barry. Some might not like theis issue over rights but while Matchroom will earn, the players will also big style. If any vote against I want to know who they are.
I think the opportunity is a huge one and this is just the start.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:Absolutely 100% agree. If any one single player rejects this idea they want their bumps feeling. If you want to let snooker die vote againsst Hearn. If you want new life breathed in vote for Barry. Some might not like theis issue over rights but while Matchroom will earn, the players will also big style. If any vote against I want to know who they are.
I think the opportunity is a huge one and this is just the start.

Couldnt agree more Gallant <ok>

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:I wonder will the 30 odd players that voted for Walker vote against this plan? :chin:

Does anybody know what sort of majority is needed or is it just that?

Thats a good point Case, was there as many as 30 actually pro-Walker? i cant remember the exact figures now but i just thought there were 30 who didnt vote for Hearn and that included non voters etc, i may be wrong though.

Well to be honest i thinks its just a majority so youd think all of those who voted for Hearn previously will do so again, after all if they let this chance slip past, then the game will end up back at square one in the position they were originally unhappy with, when Walker was in charge, so its surely a no brainer for them.

Of the pro-Walker crowd before, youd have to think that some of these will now have seen the penny drop that the alternatives to Hearns proposals are pretty much non existant, and that their own careers will be worse off not under Hearn than under Hearn.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wc wrote:I wonder will the 30 odd players that voted for Walker vote against this plan? :chin:

Thats a good point Case, was there as many as 30 actually pro-Walker? i cant remember the exact figures now but i just thought there were 30 who didnt vote for Hearn and that included non voters etc, i may be wrong though.

Well to be honest i thinks its just a majority so youd think all of those who voted for Hearn previously will do so again, after all if they let this chance slip past, then the game will end up back at square one in the position they were originally unhappy with, when Walker was in charge, so its surely a no brainer for them.

Of the pro-Walker crowd before, youd have to think that some of these will now have seen the penny drop that the alternatives to Hearns proposals are pretty much non existant, and that their own careers will be worse off not under Hearn than under Hearn.

Actually thinking back it might have been something like 28-36 :huh:

I think the players were burned back in 02 and realised they missed the boat, I don't think they will be willing to do the same this time around. Although there is no mention as to IGM deal and what was to come out of that. Walker did 'promise' 15 ranking events, in fact I haven’t heard anything about since he has gone, can anybody shed any light?

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Actually thinking back it might have been something like 28-36 :huh:

I think the players were burned back in 02 and realised they missed the boat, I don't think they will be willing to do the same this time around. Although there is no mention as to IGM deal and what was to come out of that. Walker did 'promise' 15 ranking events, in fact I haven’t heard anything about since he has gone, can anybody shed any light?

the 15 ranking events was clearly pie in the sky from Walker, a last desperate attempt to throw up a smokescreen in front of the players in the hope many would be fooled into falling for his false promises yet again.

Funny how this news only just broked days before the voting took place. Coincidence or what? rofl

Did anyone seriously think the inept Walker after 5 or so years in the helm doing nothing of note but syphon a lot of money out of the game into his own back pocket, would suddenly pluck NINE new rankers out of thin air? <doh>

Postby Wildey

i dont think 15 Ranking tournament was realistic for a sport that had a maximum of 10 in any given season.

also if we are going to get a rolling ranking system logistically i don't think 15 can work. even this season with 6 they played the WC Qualifiers before the china open with a Rolling ranking system that wont work.

you need to go from qualifying straight in to tournaments.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:i dont think 15 Ranking tournament was realistic for a sport that had a maximum of 10 in any given season.

also if we are going to get a rolling ranking system logistically i don't think 15 can work. even this season with 6 they played the WC Qualifiers before the china open with a Rolling ranking system that wont work.

Of course it could still work with 15 tournaments, look at sports like tennis / golf where there are tournaments every week yet they manage to sort out the qualifying for hundreds of players. <ok>

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i dont think 15 Ranking tournament was realistic for a sport that had a maximum of 10 in any given season.

Of course it could still work with 15 tournaments, look at sports like tennis / golf where there are tournaments every week yet they manage to sort out the qualifying for hundreds of players. <ok>

But not everyone is participating in every tournament ...

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

But not everyone is participating in every tournament ...

Hendry Higgins and Ronnie have said in the past theyd welcome the day the snooker tour becomes such that they can pick and choose what events they play in just like tennis players and golfers do.

Anyway, i suppose we should cross this bridge if we get to it

Postby Tubberlad

I must say, and I admire Hearn's no-bull approach to things. To be honest, I think what he has planned is absolutely fantastic.

A few things I wanted to see:
The Grand Prix turned into an FA Cup style event: Check
A Players Championship with around 12 events and a finals series: Check
Increased Prize Money: Check
Getting rid of unnecessary costs: Check
A rolling rankings system: Seemingly check

It's fantastic. Reduced Grand Prix? Who cares, it's FA Cup style, something that was needed, and refreshingly different. People that were mocking how the only change was a re-name...you've got your answer.

No 147 prizes outside of the World Championship? I've no problem. The buzz alone is all the players really need, and they'll still get the high break prize.

I think the players who reject this don't deserve a man as brilliant as Hearn in charge. They can watch their game go up in smoke if they wish, but if they really care about where the sport is going, they will accept.

Any fans who reject this: it's petty, bitter stuff on their part. We MUST get behind the game we love and the man in charge of turning things around. If you don't like it, f*** off. Nitpick pathetically if you must.

To Barry <ok>

Postby Witz78

totally agree with you Tubber <ok>

as for the Grand Prix, it had become a stale event just like any other event and theres no doubt that we need tournaments to have their own identity.

Regarding the switch back to the SECC, ive mixed views on that to be honest.

The helicopter noises in the background will probably return now.

The Kelvin Halls in a better location in terms of nearby amenities, pubs, resturants etc

Id go as far to say that theres nothing between both venues as they use halls in the venues and stick up a load of temporary seating stands. Id far rather old style snooker venues in proper fixed auditoriums, theatres were used. They generate far better atmospheres

Postby gallantrabbit

there seems to e a nice slant from hearn on hard work and no silly freebies like courtesy cars etc. he`s got a decent idea with cutting expenses and the whole transparency of it all should be very encouraging for the pros. PLUS all the nonsense of Hearn cutting down numbers has been blown out the water as all 96 pros will be able to compete even if there are a few invitees there.
All positive. Vote with your brains boys.