No votes
Lawler
8%
Selby
44%

Total votes : 25

Re: The current player best at Grinding

Postby SnookerFan

I've voted Ebdon. Not necessarily meaning it as an insult, but I think he's been the most successful with that strategy in the past 20 years. He's a multiple ranking event winner, and not long since he's won a tournament in his 40s.

Some people, myself included, don't always find him entertaining. But in a day and age where people assume the only way to play is to try and pot everything, Ebdon shows that there is another side to the game.

Postby Skullman

Has to be Ebdon. Think Lawler and McLeod don't grind when required, that's just their natural pace. Don't Higgins or Dott actually grind, and I think Robbo and Carter get too bogged down when they try. Ebdon can play fast but chooses not to when it gives him the edge.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:ive gone for Mark Selby

calling someone a Grinder is a compliment

The thing is, I don't understand this thing about 'grinding when they have to'. If you're a grinder, you're a grinder. If you only grind when the frame/match needs it, but make big-breaks at other time, that doesn't make you a grinder, it means you have a decent all-round game.

Postby Simone

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild WC wrote:ive gone for Mark Selby

calling someone a Grinder is a compliment

The thing is, I don't understand this thing about 'grinding when they have to'. If you're a grinder, you're a grinder. If you only grind when the frame/match needs it, but make big-breaks at other time, that doesn't make you a grinder, it means you have a decent all-round game.

These days I would rather call Selby a match-player; someone who isn´t going to be putted off or throw his toys out, unlike people like Cope, Trump, Lee or Carter can.

Selby did some serious grinding with some jesting when he was younger, but these days he´s just superb allround-matchplayer with loads of centuries flying in, similar to John Higgins.

Dott did some brilliant grinding when he beat O´Sullivan in Crucible something like 6 or 7 years ago, for example. But how Robertson would be a grinder ?? No way. He has great ability to play safety-shots also, but no way grinder-type of a player by any means.

Postby Wildey

id just like to know how did being called a Grinder take on a derogatory meaning.

i remember a time players was chuffed to bits being called a Grinder.

Cliff Thorburn is a snooker Legend and players that get that privileged to take on the Grinder tag should be proud.

Postby Simone

Wild WC wrote:id just like to know how did being called a Grinder take on a derogatory meaning.

i remember a time players was chuffed to bits being called a Grinder.

Cliff Thorburn is a snooker Legend and players that get that privileged to take on the Grinder tag should be proud.

Other player besides Cliff who takes his time when preparing to strike the ball is Dave Harold. Cliff was the original grinder, nicknamed that. Just like Alex Higgins was the original people´s champion.

And about the cue actions.. Now we have obviously Luca Brecel breaking through who posses extremely easygoing and light cueing. And then Panjak Advani whose almost every shot looks bit like a push shot. That´s billiard techinique manouvering the cue ball with different spins and stuff. It is somewhat a miracle that he managed to get the pots with that techinique. He is already ranked in top-80 so I would guess his pot accuracy is at least >80%.