Post a reply

Commentators

Postby SteveJJ

During the discussions on the UK Championship there was a lot of criticism (mostly, quite rightly) about the standard of commentary/punditry.

Which led me to thinking if you could choose your own ideal commentary team, who would make the grade? For arguments sake, if you had to choose a group of 6 people to cover a tournament.

Is there anyone you think would make a commentator who hasn't been given a chance yet?

My 6 would be:

Clive Everton
Neal Foulds
Stephen Hendry
Terry Griffiths
Dominic Dale
Willie Thorne

Somebody that I'd like to see have a go would be Mr Ebdon. He should be able to talk well on the tactical side of the game.

Re: Commentators

Postby vodkadiet

Griffiths
Hallett(for comedy effect)
Everton
Thorne
Virgo
Foulds

Taylor

I would like to see Ding Junhui and James Wattana teaming up in the box.

Postby SteveJJ

Haha. Ding and Wattana! They'd probably make more sense than Taylor, though!

Whatever you say about Hendry, I like it that when Dennis is arselicking and trying to get him to join in with his guff that Hendry just ignores him.

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:Haha. Ding and Wattana! They'd probably make more sense than Taylor, though!

Whatever you say about Hendry, I like it that when Dennis is arselicking and trying to get him to join in with his guff that Hendry just ignores him.

Probably? rofl

I can see Ding doing it now. "That shot was bucking rubbish." :hatoff:

Postby Skullman

Clive Everton
Dave Hendon
Neal Foulds
Stephen Hendry
Angles McManus
Terry Griffiths

With one of the first three always paired with one of the bottom three.

Postby daraghj82

hendry
thorne
mcmanus
griffiths
foulds
everton

Postby vodkadiet

Hazel and Richi would make a great pairing in the box. The BBC need to cut their salary bill and these presenters need to multitask. Maybe get David Icke back in there as well?

<ok>

Postby Wildey

The Strange thing is with the BBC they are cutting back time and yet the presentation team is Growing.

why do they need 2 main presenters in Richie and Hazel for as little coverage as they have

then John Parrott and Steve Davis doing some presenting Work.

with Doherty and Hendry in the Studio.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:I agree. Getting rid of Hendry would be a good start.

getting rid of you would be better though

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:Clive Everton
Dave Hendon
Neal Foulds
Stephen Hendry
Angles McManus
Terry Griffiths

With one of the first three always paired with one of the bottom three.

Hendon <doh>

the only thing id pair him with would be a lion or a crocodile :spot on:

Postby Muppet147

Clive Everton
John Virgo
Stephen Hendry
Jimmy White
Terry Griffiths
Dominic Dale

And deadwood like Thorne and Taylor should be thrown on the fire.

Postby Smart

first and foremost LESS is more, but not to the point of single-person commentary which is totally bullocks as proved by Phil Yates who is a useless, annoying, waste of space.

EVERTON and FOULDS - BBC

JOHNSON and SMITH - Eurosport

I only now watch via Eurosport so I will put up with whatever commentators are given to each match. Mike Smith is quite funny in a very weird way, he says odd stuff. Johnson just rabbits on and on and invariably is wrong a lot but again its funny. Its not like he is lauding some power knowledge over you like most of the BBC crew try to. I have had enough of the back-slapping and ass-licking crew on the BBC. They add no value, they are not funny, they are a waste of the licence fee. :wave:

Postby Casey

Thorne, Parrott and Hendry are the only ones I can stomach from the BBC.

What is the story with Thorne though? Are the BBC freezing him out? Do they not understand that Virgo is just a grumpy old man?

Postby Witz78

To be fair to JV hes never been the same since he had the stroke.

Thorne is a top bloke and im going to be having words with Mike Ganley this weekend regarding this. I also have a few others issues im going to chin him about, namely SKY TV and also the Crucibles future. And i dare say ill have a drunken rant at some point about the Barbican balconies GRRRRRRRR

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet147 wrote:Clive Everton
John Virgo
Stephen Hendry
Jimmy White
Terry Griffiths
Dominic Dale

And deadwood like Thorne and Taylor should be thrown on the fire.

Taylor must go. He has been a nuisance for many years.

Postby Andy Spark

I've made some very acidic comments about commentators, so for the sake of balance I'll say something nice about certain ones :-)

My top six:
Dom Dale
Neal Foulds
Stephen Hendry
Clive Everton
Phil Yates
Dave Hendon

The top three prove that as ex pros, spending all your life playing snooker, doesn't mean that you need to neglect a command of the English language. While the journalists of the bottom three have obvious high level English skills and knowledge of snooker history given their job. Not sure about the voice quality of Phil Yates (a bit too jumpy for my liking) and Hendon (a bit too fast and casual for my liking) but the other four have naturally good quality voices.

Postby SnookerEd25

Quinten Hann & Andy Hicks in the box could enliven a dull game... :dizzy:

Postby vodkadiet

The BBC have to sack Dennis Taylor. He is always the last commentator commentating at the end of every tournament, I assume because those in charge of snooker at the BBC think he is the most popular commentator. Why? The reason it is because an old boy's club.

I have just watched the last 3 minutes of the Dale match, and he made error after error after error whilst commentating. Here is a summary:

Wasley was snookered behind the pink, when needing to hit the blue, the blue was close to the black near the corner pocket, Wasley missed the blue, the ball hit the back cushion, hit the black, which In turn moved the blue. The balls were then replaced. Taylor says "He is having them replaced, but why are the moving the blue? The blue never moved!!"

Taylor then says "Dominic Dale is on the verge of his first ever quarter final". He then repeated this statement a short time after.

Meanwhile Wasley failed to hit the snooker a second time. This left Dale 17 ahead with 18 left on the table. Taylor then says "Michael will have to hit the blue this time, otherwise he will need a snooker". Taylor had completely failed to notice that the blue was hanging over the pocket for Dale to clinch the match without replacing the balls.

Finally Taylor, having been prompted that his earlier comment about Dale having never been to the quarters before was untrue attempts to correct himself, by saying "It will in fact be Dominic's second appearance in the quarters, having previously reached that stage in 1999".

Dominic had been to the quarters once before, but it wasn't in 1999!

BBC licence payers are paying the wages of this verbal incompetent.

I would like a petition set up by snooker fans to get rid of him once and for all. He is a liability and needs to be sent out to grass. He could spend every remaining hour that he has left on this mortal coil on various golf courses the length and breadth of Great Britain, telling anyone who cared to listen about his black ball win in 1985 whilst wagging his index finger. I am sure he can at least remember it was in 1985 he won the World Championship and not 1885! Although I am not so sure....

Postby SnookerFan

I remember watching the World Championship in 2009.

I forget the match, but Virgo was on about 147s. He actually claimed; "There, of course, has never been two 147s made one tournament", blindly forgetting it had happened the year before. Somebody pointed this out to him, and he said; "Oh of course, it actually happened last year, didn't it?"

:chuckle: Nice one John.

Postby Skullman

Remember another match from 2009 I watched on YouTube with Virgo and Taylor, where they were getting excited by max, when there were only 14 reds on the table...

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:Remember another match from 2009 I watched on YouTube with Virgo and Taylor, where they were getting excited by max, when there were only 14 reds on the table...

That rings a bell. I think I watched that one.

Postby Lucky

If you check your remotes there's usually a volume button. Press down and...........voila, no more drivel! Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on the random white lines the runts draw on the screen and refuse to take off even as the shot is played.

Postby GJ

Agree lucky

If Taylor is on commentary I mute straight away as theres nothing to hear.

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:Agree lucky

There should be an option to have the sound of what is happening to gauge the atmosphere, but without the commentary.

How about an option to choose the commentator?

It is at the stage with me where if there are 2 matches of similar interest I choose the match without Taylor commentating. He is that annoying.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:

There should be an option to have the sound of what is happening to gauge the atmosphere, but without the commentary.

It is at the stage with me where if there are 2 matches of similar interest I choose the match without Taylor commentating. He is that annoying.

Yeah its beyond a joke ,

Its amazing every frame :td:

That's careless every frame :td:

They may as well record all his stupid phrases and only have 1 commentator and let him play the taylor phrases at various times <laugh>

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Yeah its beyond a joke ,

They may as well record all his stupid phrases and only have 1 commentator and let him play the taylor phrases at various times <laugh>

"It's like with the golfers". "I took a fiver off Willie on the golf course this morning". "He should be in a boy band". "With have an Irishman, an Englishman, and a Welshman..."

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:
GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Yeah its beyond a joke ,

"It's like with the golfers". "I took a fiver off Willie on the golf course this morning". "He should be in a boy band". "With have an Irishman, an Englishman, and a Welshman..."

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Or the one on robbo

He looks like someone who could be an actor in neighbours rofl

Postby SnookerFan

I like on Eurosport, when one of the BBC mob draws a line, and they have no idea why anybody would suggest a shot this way.

One time they all but said it. "Well, I have no idea why they'd suggest that shot. That won't work." <laugh>

Postby Lucky

They didn't follow Dohertys line once........it was incredible.