Topic locked

Williamhill.com UK Championship Quarter Final Discussion.

Postby Wildey

Saturday 1st ~ Sunday 9th of December at The Barbican Centre, York

Its the Quarter Finals and Still there fighting is 17 year old Sensation Luca Brecel as well as Former World Champion Shaun Murphy But out is Former Champion John Higgins after scoring a 147.

But The tie of the Round is a Match between Former World No 1s Neil Robertson and Mark Selby.

Who Will be here for the Weekend in York ?

DRAW

Quarter Finals

Ali Carter v Stuart Bingham
Luca Brecel v Shaun Murphy
--------------------------------------------
Mark Davis v Matthew Stevens
Neil Robertson v Mark Selby

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Quarter Final Discussion

Postby PLtheRef

Some very interesting ties there, it's been a tournament unlike 2011 when the tournament seemed to hot up once the last 16 got underway. Wins for Bingham, Murphy, Stevens and Robertson I reckon to set up the 17 frame format

Postby Andre147

So so looking forward to that Selby v Robbo match tomorrow evening :D :D :D ;-) ;-) ;-) as I'm sure there are lots of people here who share the same feeling, namely skull of course, Wild, Sonny and a few others.

Finally these 2 meet in a proper ranking tournament :-D Can't wait

Postby Andre147

A question for you skull... who will you be willing to win tomorrow... selby or robbo? I bet you're gonna say you will be happy whoever comes though, but I have a feeling you would slightly prefer Selby on this one :john: :gag: :john:

Postby Andre147

"I can't sum Luca up in a short summary but basically he is my new favourite player, equal with Selby. The kid is a genius. Ronnie didn't enter, Judd got KO'd in round 1 but who cares when you have Luca to watch? As with most of his matches he comes good in the end and modifies his game according to the player he is playing. This is something you can't teach. I was chatting to a snooker team mate at the interval about Luca, I said he's autistic, the team mate said "Is he good at drawing?" to which I replied "No, he's good at snooker." I can not put into words how highly I rate Luca and how much I love watching him play so I'll leave it at that for now."

Exactly the same for me Sonny... I can honestly say I may have been one of the very first persons in here to watch him play and almost immediatly notice that we have a true talent here... When he played in my home country, Portugal, in that Grand Final of the World Series of Snooker... he had just recently been cronwed in April the youngest European under-19 chamipn at just 14 years of age... and in that event in Portugal he made an impact when he beat legend Jimmy White, Ken Doherty, only to narrowaly lose 5-4 to Dott. I watched those matches, and like Sonny, I saw that something really really special was emerging. His marvelous cue action, his demeanour around the table, everything seemed to point the right direction and so it proved.

So yeah ever since 2009 he's also been sort of my pretegé, and I also can't express just how highly I rate this young kid. Hope he fulfills the immense talent he has got and goes on to really become a top player and a great for the game. LUCA :D :D :D :-D :-D :-D

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:So so looking forward to that Selby v Robbo match tomorrow evening :D :D :D ;-) ;-) ;-) as I'm sure there are lots of people here who share the same feeling, namely skull of course, Wild, Sonny and a few others.

Finally these 2 meet in a proper ranking tournament :-D Can't wait

Though they have met in a major.

Premier League. :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:The sooner the money ranking system comes in the better so the top players can focus on the big events instead of prostituting themselves to play in the tinpot events

dream on <doh>

what people are failing to mention is when defending the Money Ranking points of 2 years ago if you lose first Round you drop like Flies.

BUT youve got an unfair amount to defend and your in an elevated position thanks to that so your doing wel to benefit initially from that but going forward once the system kicks in itll be a level playing field so if your losing last 32 matches then yes those below you will close the gap

Whats your big issue with a fair system anyway?

Me and Monique and Sonny for that matter were discussing in length the merits of this system the other night and a majority verdict was reached <ok>

firstly with money rankings players could easily enter the World Championship in the top 4 and end up out of the top 16 after the world championship unless they build up enough insurance points at smaller events.

you cant just rely on major events.

Postby GJ

PLtheRef wrote:Some very interesting ties there, it's been a tournament unlike 2011 when the tournament seemed to hot up once the last 16 got underway. Wins for Bingham, Murphy, Stevens and Robertson I reckon to set up the 17 frame format

patrick

:hatoff:

Postby hendry_fan

Morning all,haven,t seen much snooker of this tourney tbh,been busy.

What a match that must have been yesterday,John Higgins almost pullin off yet another one of his amazing comebacks,the anti-Higgins crop will be havin a field day seein him lose 6-5.

It probably won,t be much of a consolation for him but well done on knockin in his 7th *147*,fantastic stuff from the "Wizard of Wishaw"!. :clap:

Ali Carter v Stuart Bingham
Luca Brecel v Shaun Murphy
--------------------------------------------
Mark Davis v Matthew Stevens
Neil Robertson v Mark Selby

Binghams in the form of his life at present so i predict him to beat Carter.

Brecels done very well to get so far in this tourney but i,m afraid he won,t get any further cause Shauns gonna send him packing,even when Shauns havin a bad day at the office he,ll still put up a better battle than the likes of Walden,King,the 2 Brecel beat to get this far in this tourney.

Hard one to call this one but I,ll go for Davis to beat Stevens.

Robbo v Selby,well,what a crackin match this one is,i,m not bovered much who wins as i like both,another very tough one to call this one.

Postby Casey

Come on Luca!!

Would love to see Robbo or Selby win the whole thing though.

Robbo would have to enter the hall of greats if he lifts the title and becomes one of a select group to lift the 3 major titles (4 if you count the old grand prix which he won 3 times).

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:Come on Luca!!

Would love to see Robbo or Selby win the whole thing though.

Robbo would have to enter the hall of greats if he lifts the title and becomes one of a select group to lift the 3 major titles (4 if you count the old grand prix which he won 3 times).

And him and a certain trump would have won between them 3 of the last 4 majors

sign of dominance <cool> :hatoff: :spot on:

Postby SnookerFan

I take it everybody is watching Murphy vs Brecel this afternoon. :D

First I saw of him this week. I was at The Crucible for Mags vs Brecel in April. By coincidence, Sonny was sat a couple of chairs down in the same row, and he told me then he tought Brecel was a genius with a cue. Unfortunately, Luca let the occasion get to him a bit in the first session, and gave himself too much to do against Mags.

Sounds like he's come good this week though. Looking forward to this match.

Postby hendry_fan

Wild WC wrote:ive gone for a Robbo win hes just more consistent than Selby but Selby is class and if he gets on a roll he could easily steamroll anyone Robbo included.

Both players belong to the more consistant of the present bunch,although Selbys gone off the boil a bit lately!.

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:what a choke from higgins on the pink

just watching highlights

yep but looked like he was trying to throw it before then imo, the yellow wobbled, he messed position on the green...............he left himself short on the blue and had to take it to the corner - SO did he want to win that decider.....? :|

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
yep but looked like he was trying to throw it before then imo, the yellow wobbled, he messed position on the green...............he left himself short on the blue and had to take it to the corner - SO did he want to win that decider.....? :|

Yes.

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:

just watching highlights

:spot on:

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:
Smart wrote:

just watching highlights

:spot on:

:hatoff:
LUCAS 1-0 <ok>