Post a reply

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Qualifiers Discussion !!

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:From memory you were busting a few good moves on the dancefloor in that sawdust on the floor joint i took you to in Sheffield :john:

I saw the Revolution, wasnt sure what kinda mix of clientel and agre group it would attract, im past chasing teens :gag: :gag:

That was the most drunk I've been for a couple of years! Revolution is pretty cool, got a good mix of people. I'm more of a real ale pub followed by home at closing time type these days. I think you should check out Evil Eye because that's a great pub, good music and long cocktail bar with just about every drink you can think of. It's also close to several other good pubs and you've got Kennedy's close by which is a club frequented more by your 30 somethings. There's also Oscars nearby as well and a few eating establishments.

Go on google maps and look up Stonegate and Swinegate, there's loads of nightlife there.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:yeh my enthusiasm for this tourny is right up now after so many of my young tips for the top have qualified and like you say they all have winnable games, plus Davis too.

Davis in the tourny just adds to its prestige, espec when you think this is the 1st UK in donkeys years without 2 all time legends Hendry and Ronnie involved, so its good to see Davis at least playing in it to keep the flag flying for the icons of the game. Actually quite sad (and bizarre) to think that Hendry and Ronnie are gone now from the game, yet Davis is still here :dizzy:

Just need White, Delu and Wenbo to win tonight and my almost dream set of qualifiers is up.

Told earlier that you can take drink into the arena no problem at York so the goalposts have well and truly been moved, I apologise in advance for the shoutouts rofl

You forgot the legend of the game that's still there, Higgins.

Exactly... yeah a bit weird that hendry and ronnie are gone... how long has it been since at least one of them was on it? 1988 maybe? the year Hendry first played in it and reached the final... only to lose to an inspired performance from Mountjoy... Think Doug made 3 consecutive tons at one point in that final

Postby Andre147

White now with a 5-2 lead over Doherty... made a wonderful 60 odd break from behind to win that frame... which included for me one of the best shots from this qualifiers... White was on the black, almost straight on it, no natural angle to send the ue ball back to baulk for the last red... But White nevertheless played a very powerful shot, with reverse side, and ended up being absolutely perfect on the red in baulk, which enabled him to make that break...

This young man is really something... hope he carries on and starts getting to venues more often.... not over yet of course, as comeback Ken will have something to say about that aswell....

Postby Wildey

i was going through each year to see how much money players played for in the UK and what was Stagering bearing in mind Money will be the way Rankings are determined .

in 1990 Stephen Hendry picked up £110,000 as UK Champion and in 1991 John Parrott Picked up £35,000 as Champion.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Marco goes 5-1 up with a 3rd century :D

3rd ton of the match? good performance so far then :D :D :D always been a heavy scorer is Marco... just not as often as he used to be some seasons ago

Postby Witz78

Im just thinking

its rather ironic that with this the 1st BBC tournament without the box office draw Ronnie that the casual snooker fans know best, its fitting that a wave of new young players have qualified and potentially a new star will emerge.

Ive a sneaky feeling we could see one of the young guns go all the way. Bar the current "big 3" i dont see much to scare these young players to be honest

Postby Wildey

Friday 23rd of November

7.30pm

Marco Fu 6-2 Rod Lawler
Tom Ford 6-1 Yu De Lu
Andrew Higginson 0-6 Liang Wenbo
Ryan Day 6-3 Matthew Selt
Ken Doherty 3-6 Michael White

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:Im just thinking

its rather ironic that with this the 1st BBC tournament without the box office draw Ronnie that the casual snooker fans know best, its fitting that a wave of new young players have qualified and potentially a new star will emerge.

Ive a sneaky feeling we could see one of the young guns go all the way. Bar the current "big 3" i dont see much to scare these young players to be honest

yeah one of them young guns may go far... but I can't see one of them lift the trophy.. and not just because of those big 3 in Trump, Higgins and Robbo... because there are still other top players that usually dont lose to those lower ranked players... namely, Selby for instance... who will actually play Michael White at the venue

Postby Skullman

It's not a matter of scaring them, it's because that the seeds are significantly better than most of the young guns. If it's anything like last year, the top16 will be in good form and the qualifiers would get battered.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:

yeah one of them young guns may go far... but I can't see one of them lift the trophy.. and not just because of those big 3 in Trump, Higgins and Robbo... because there are still other top players that usually dont lose to those lower ranked players... namely, Selby for instance... who will actually play Michael White at the venue

Dunno we always seem to have one dark horse getting some distance into the tourney in recent years. Lines and Joyce got to the quarters and Walden got to the semis last year.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Dunno we always seem to have one dark horse getting some distance into the tourney in recent years. Lines and Joyce got to the quarters and Walden got to the semis last year.

And that's why I said that :redneck: