Post a reply

Re: Snooker in USA

Postby Wildey

SnookerHQ wrote:Hey everyone,

Would be interested in hearing what people think about this article written by Fin Ruane on Friday.

Can the US market be broken into? Is now the time to try to do it?

http://snookerhq.com/2012/11/16/fins-fa ... new-world/

well if you dont try you will never know.

of course it would be stupid going ranking or PTC but surely a 8 man or 16 man invitational should be explored.

its forgotten by now but in the 80s Barry Hearn was the guy who first went to china and Asia.

Postby Simone

Snooker needs North-America now.. Let´s face it, most of these far-east things are bit of a nonsense. And no Hendry, no O´Sullivan, no consistent Williams, Murphy, Maguire, Robertson, Ding, Allen or Selby. Just Trump vs Higgins rivalry, lots of PTC and EPTC-matches and consistent match-fixing staff.

Snooker would be a great add for the US sporting underground scene. Americans loves challenges, cue-sports and the underdog-effect where no matter how well one plays or does still the beating might lure in there. And snooker definetely offers all that.

Postby Andre147

Simone wrote:Snooker needs North-America now.. Let´s face it, most of these far-east things are bit of a nonsense. And no Hendry, no O´Sullivan, no consistent Williams, Murphy, Maguire, Robertson, Ding, Allen or Selby. Just Trump vs Higgins rivalry, lots of PTC and EPTC-matches and consistent match-fixing staff.

Snooker would be a great add for the US sporting underground scene. Americans loves challenges, cue-sports and the underdog-effect where no matter how well one plays or does still the beating might lure in there. And snooker definetely offers all that.

But the thing is pool, like 8, 9 and 10 ball are still very much the cue sports americans care most about... I personally don't think that snooker would work in America, at least in the present time cause americans always want to watch fast flowing action, with balls all over the place and being potted... most americans still have that ideia that snooker is boring, they don't like to watch the safety battles... Maybe it could work in Canada, like it proved in the 80s/early 90s, but I don't think it would work very far from there

Postby Andre147

But, as Wild says, you never know until you go to those places... Who would have in a million year's thought that snooker would rule in China like it has now? Barry Hearn tried it in the 80s in Asia and China and it definately worked... but I'm very skeptical about it working again in North America

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Simone wrote:Snooker needs North-America now.. Let´s face it, most of these far-east things are bit of a nonsense. And no Hendry, no O´Sullivan, no consistent Williams, Murphy, Maguire, Robertson, Ding, Allen or Selby. Just Trump vs Higgins rivalry, lots of PTC and EPTC-matches and consistent match-fixing staff.

But the thing is pool, like 8, 9 and 10 ball are still very much the cue sports americans care most about... I personally don't think that snooker would work in America, at least in the present time cause americans always want to watch fast flowing action, with balls all over the place and being potted... most americans still have that ideia that snooker is boring, they don't like to watch the safety battles... Maybe it could work in Canada, like it proved in the 80s/early 90s, but I don't think it would work very far from there

yea football or "soccer" hasent really caught on there like other countries because a 0-0 scoreline is a possibility

Postby SnookerHQ

"Most of these far-east things are a bit of a nonsense." What an odd comment.

Don't think football is a great example to compare. In a country with a population of more than 300 million people there is always going to be a market. It's just a question of whether it is worth the time and the money necessary to initially find it.

Postby Simone

SnookerHQ wrote:"Most of these far-east things are a bit of a nonsense." What an odd comment.

Don't think football is a great example to compare. In a country with a population of more than 300 million people there is always going to be a market. It's just a question of whether it is worth the time and the money necessary to initially find it.

Thanks Johnny Wisemuller.

Postby Witz78

Contrary to Wilds opinions football is actually doing decent in America

the MLS attracts sell out crowds at the bulk of games and whilst itll never topple the big American sports like Baseball, Basketball, Nascar, Indycar, its def closing in on Ice Hockey in terms of popularity.

Snooker has nothing to lose, so i think they should give it a go.

If nothing else, it would at least put snooker into the public domain over there, what i find when im over there on holidays is that when you play pool on the bucket pocketed 9 ball tables, you inevitably destroy there so called best players, then they wonder what a Europeans doing bashing them up in their own backyard, then you tell them you play a game called snooker on tables 4 times the size and the cent drops with them.