Post a reply

Re: Pro Snooker Blog Interview with Mark Selby

Postby Roland

Bridging arm is different to neck and it wasn't a fake injury either but even so, there's no way it's a blessing in disguise, it's a major concern and I only hope he makes a full recovery because if it's always there from now on it could end his career. He said it's knocked his confidence, he doesn't like playing the stretching shots. And to think he'd "use it as an excuse for losing" is just silly talk and shows you don't know the character of the man.

Postby Monique

I agree with sonny. It's not like Mark Selby to "pretend" an injury for the sake of playing mind games and it is something that would affect anyone's confidence. Even if he feels no discomfort, the awareness is there somewhere in a corner of his brain and he can't be as carefree and fully concentrating as he was before. This kind of trauma might take years to disappear completely. Also he will not trust himself to take certain positions in fear it could come back.
I think the interview was quite honest, and clearly, with his confidence low, he admits again that he tends to play in a rather conservative way (there … I avoided the word that would get me stick from the boss ;-) ). Players obviously have to play the way they feel it. I have already expressed the opinion that I'm not sure that this is the approach that will help him to fulfill his potential, but then this is just an opinion .

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Why not?

That kind of approach has been proven to work. Just look at Hendry prior to the WC in 94 when he pretended to have a broken arm. Before the tournament all talk was about this injury and how it would affect him, however it didn't stop him from winning another championship, though.

unlike you to mention hendry..

does he pay you for keeping his memory alive ??

and just for the record it was during his second round match with Dave Harold that he broke his arm so god knows who was talking about it before the championship....

do you still believe in the tooth fairy as well ?

Postby Roland

Of course there was a lot of talk about it, it's because Hendry was the best in the World and had won the previous 2 World Titles and was favourite for this one, and he fell in the bath and fractured his arm during the tournament. So it's not surprising it was big news at the time but after he won his next match everyone realised he could still play so it stopped being a concern.

Anyway, back on topic please. Selby says a lot of interesting things in the interview aside from the neck issue. I think he comes across really well.