TV?

Post a reply

TV?

Postby simplysnooker

Just seen BBC's schedule for the UK Championship, awful apart from the last weekend. Think I'll be switching to Eurosport this year. :hatoff:

Re: TV?

Postby SnookerFan

You got a link? I can't see the TV coverage info on the BBC Website or the World Snooker website.

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/16659380

There you go buddy

Cheers. :hatoff:

That's about what I expected. (Though they seem to be starting late on Wednesday afternoon, for some reason.) I tend to have it on interactive when it's not on proper BBC.

Did I dream it, or was there some story a while back that the BBC were going to cut back on the Red Button service after the olympics?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/16659380

There you go buddy

Cheers. :hatoff:

That's about what I expected. (Though they seem to be starting late on Wednesday afternoon, for some reason.) I tend to have it on interactive when it's not on proper BBC.

Did I dream it, or was there some story a while back that the BBC were going to cut back on the Red Button service after the olympics?

yup from 9 possible streams to 1 that means only 1 table available <doh>

and judging by the BBC and World snooker track record that will be the worst of the 2 match they will show just because a star name playing

Postby SnookerFan

Does that mean the BBC won't be showing any footage of one of the tables for the whole tournament? Or will they still have two tables up on the BBC website?

I'm taking it Eurosport will still have footage of both tables?

Postby simplysnooker

There's only the first weekend up so far which has the snooker on Eurosport 2 on the Saturday from 11.30am through till 10 and Sunday from 11 to 10 on the same channel.

Postby simplysnooker

Anyone watched the UK Champs on Eurosport before? Is it pretty much the same as all the other tournaments Eurosport present?

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:Anyone watched the UK Champs on Eurosport before? Is it pretty much the same as all the other tournaments Eurosport present?

Pretty much.

They just use the pictures that the BBC are using, but add their own commentary over it. They aren't in the arena, they are watching it in a studio somewhere. So basically, they are just taking Virgo and Taylor off and adding Dave Hendon and Joe Johnson. You rarely get any additional interviews or analysis between frames and matches. In mid-session intervals they show you footage of a previous match, or show that funny sport show that they add music to.

Very occasionally you might get an additional feature. I vaguely remember they put an interview with Michaela Tabb once, but I think even that was nicked from The Crucible.

You'll be able to see the matches. But don't expect anything too fancy other than that.

Postby Skullman

I normally watch Eurosport and switch to the BBC to see if they have any interesting features during intervals (they usally don't). But Eurosport is far better for recording purposes as they usally show most of it and I fast forward the afternoon matches when I come home from school anyway.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Anyone watched the UK Champs on Eurosport before? Is it pretty much the same as all the other tournaments Eurosport present?

Pretty much.

They just use the pictures that the BBC are using, but add their own commentary over it. They aren't in the arena, they are watching it in a studio somewhere. So basically, they are just taking Virgo and Taylor off and adding Dave Hendon and Joe Johnson. You rarely get any additional interviews or analysis between frames and matches. In mid-session intervals they show you footage of a previous match, or show that funny sport show that they add music to.

Very occasionally you might get an additional feature. I vaguely remember they put an interview with Michaela Tabb once, but I think even that was nicked from The Crucible.

You'll be able to see the matches. But don't expect anything too fancy other than that.

excellent explanation, top marks s/fan :clap:

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I normally watch Eurosport and switch to the BBC to see if they have any interesting features during intervals (they usally don't). But Eurosport is far better for recording purposes as they usally show most of it and I fast forward the afternoon matches when I come home from school anyway.

Exactly the same as me skull... I pretty much watch all the snooker on Eurosport, and then when there is a BBC tourney during the MSI just switch off to one of the BBC channels... but yeah the BBC very rarely shows the whole match anyway... and then they often cut it when things are getting really interesting to some stupid horse show or whatever...

So yeah Eurosport is definately the one to watch if u want to watch the whole match... as for features, interviews etc, then BBC should where you focus our attention on.

Postby SnookerFan

Thanks Smart. :bowdown:

I wonder if, as it's a big event, Eurosport will have Alan Mcmanus in da house.

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:Thanks Smart. :bowdown:

Depends if he qualifies or not. I hope they use him more than they have done though. He miles better than Hallett and JJ.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Thanks Smart. :bowdown:

Depends if he qualifies or not. I hope they use him more than they have done though. He miles better than Hallett and JJ.

So, they're using him then? <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Of course, if you watch Eurosport, you miss quality banter such as this. :gag:

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:Of course, if you watch Eurosport, you miss quality banter such as this. :gag:

here we have what is commonly known as : a trio of lady parts, assembled in one meeting place :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
here we have what is commonly known as : a trio of lady parts, assembled in one meeting place :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: <ok>

Where's the Jizz smiley when you need it?

Postby vodkadiet

Is there any coverage on BBC Radio 3? Ball by ball commentary throughout the event.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:Is there any coverage on BBC Radio 3? Ball by ball commentary throughout the event.

And if not, why not? :grrr:

Postby SnookerFan

Seriously though, I can't see that snooker is a sport that lends itself to radio commentary. Snooker really is more of a visual game.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:Seriously though, I can't see that snooker is a sport that lends itself to radio commentary. Snooker really is more of a visual game.

:bowdown:

Postby SnookerFan

Imagine Virgo on the radio. He'd be going; "Where's the cue ball going?", and you wouldn't know. Because you couldn't see it.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:Imagine Virgo on the radio. He'd be going; "Where's the cue ball going?", and you wouldn't know. Because you couldn't see it.

rofl :bowdown: rofl :bowdown: :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

Just remembered this topic. I've just been talking about the lack of Red Button coverage on Twitter.

It really is beyond words that only one match is on interactive. Especially with how unreliable my internet connection is these days. I can't guarantee it'll stay connected for more than 10 minutes at a time, if that. The Eurosport coverage looks weak this weekend. As per. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the matches I want to this week.

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:Just remembered this topic. I've just been talking about the lack of Red Button coverage on Twitter.

It really is beyond words that only one match is on interactive. Especially with how unreliable my internet connection is these days. I can't guarantee it'll stay connected for more than 10 minutes at a time, if that. The Eurosport coverage looks weak this weekend. As per. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the matches I want to this week.

I didn't know Twitter had the red button?

:?

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Just remembered this topic. I've just been talking about the lack of Red Button coverage on Twitter.

I didn't know Twitter had the red button?

:?

Yeah, well, what you don't know could fill a library. :john: (Just a wee joke there, son.)

I'm more worried about, on reading this back, the Eurosport are stealing stuff from The Crucible. <laugh>

Postby simplysnooker

The Freeview red button is on from 11:00-14:30 on Saturday so I plan to watch the first game on that and the other two sessions on Eurosport.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm busy most of the day, want to see the match in the morning. I hope it's Higgins vs Holt.