Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan Tribute

Postby Smart

WOW, you must of spend literally days researching this - what can I say......well done on putting this piece of work together. Can I ask did you do this all on your own or did you have a team of helpers to assist with putting the youtube clips together and also the wording. 9/10 - good effort all things considered. :wave:

Postby Casey

What do Ronnie fans think his greatest achievement was?

I mean, if you had to pick one? Hendry fans would say the 7th World title, Williams holding all 4 BBC tournaments, Higgins getting off without a lifetime ban (joking).

So Ronnie fans, what would it be?

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Casey wrote:What do Ronnie fans think his greatest achievement was?

I mean, if you had to pick one? Hendry fans would say the 7th World title, Williams holding all 4 BBC tournaments, Higgins getting off without a lifetime ban (joking).

Hmm, it's a toss up between...

17-4 vs Hendry
17-6 vs Hendry

that's a massive compliment to Stephen <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:

17-4 vs Hendry
17-6 vs Hendry

Just shows what an amazing player Hendry is that beating him 17-4 is considered a bigger achievement than his four world titles. :-D

Postby Smart

creating the buzz by playing the way he does - thats an achievement that is not measured by a trophy but by fan reaction / fan attendance......

Personally I loved the 147s he did. His 5 min 20 sec like Jimmy White said will not be beaten ever. <ok>

Postby Sickpotter

Jewell wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:

17-4 vs Hendry
17-6 vs Hendry

Just shows what an amazing player Hendry is that beating him 17-4 is considered a bigger achievement than his four world titles. :-D

There you go, I gave Hendo a massive compliment. Hopefully, all these accusations of me being a Hendry basher will stop. <ok>

:roll:

Had you intended it as a compliment you might have have a point but we're all aware of your intentions.

Keep it up, your time here is almost done <ok>

Postby The Cueist

Have a nice life Ronnie,You certainly put enough into the game for lovers of snooker to enjoy.
Best thing about Ronnie is,He has always been true to himself.
Good luck to him,I will miss his flamboyant edge and verve that he always carries with him in his playing style.

Legend. :spot on:

Postby Roland

The reason I didn't want him to win the Worlds last time is because I knew he'd been hinting for some time that he wanted to go out at the top, and I knew if he won the Worlds he would wield the power of the current World Champion and possibly use it to make a point or protest to suit his own ends. Instead of being an ambassador like Dotty was when he was WC, I thought it could spell trouble. In a way I was proven right with the whole not signing the players contract fiasco and talk of holding his own tournaments with only the players he saw as worthy enough to be included, however serious he was.

But with the announcement and accompanying documentary I have nothing but massive respect for the man. I was always a fan of his snooker, how could you not be? Ever since he won the UK in '93 I have always been gushing in praise for his utter genius on the snooker table. But some of the things that came with it, the rowdy disrespectful crowds, the obsessive fans, the occasional arrogant attitude of the man himself eventually wore me down and when he went out of a tournament I ended up being pleased because it meant things would settle down to normality and the other players would get the attention they deserved.

Having said that I think his achieving his goal and walking the walk to the 2012 Worlds will be looked back on as his defining moment, even if he does come back next season or the season after. I believe he will return at some point because he will still be capable of reaching the latter stages of tournaments in 20 years from now when he's in his mid 50s so there's still plenty of time. At some stage he will mellow out and want to return for the sheer enjoyment of competing and entertaining at the same time.

Anyway, these are my top 10 Ronnie moments in no particular order:

- Winning a best of 9 in the Northern Ireland with 5 centuries including a 147, and then making out he wasn't playing that well.

- The 147 against Selby in the 2007 UK semi deciding frame. Sheer audacity.

- My favourite of his maximums, the 140 + 7 in the World Open. Forget the 5 minutes 20 one, that's over rated, in the World Open he knew there was no prize money for a maximum so after 1 red he made sure the crowd knew what he was thinking by asking the referee what the high break prize was. Sheer audacity again, cheeky hammer, but then he raced through as if it was the easiest thing in the world and left the last black. That backfired a bit at the time but the intention from his point of view was pure showmanship to create one of those moments that people will remember. And there I am remembering it so it worked.

- The outrageous performances in events where he appeared not to care if he won or lost and decided to go for everything. It didn't always work out and could be seen as disrespectful to his opponent at times, but always bloody great to watch.

- The 2005 world quarter final against Ebdon. Enough said. Gripping television!

- The demolition job on Ken Doherty in the UK final in York. I took my old man along to come and watch O'Sullivan so he could see for himself how good he was, and Ronnie obliged with virtuoso snooker.

- The '93 UK which he won at 17 beating the seemingly invincible Hendry in the final and doing it in style. First evidence that Hendry would have some real challengers to his domination.

- The first world title because it was about time he won it, he'd been capable for years.

- The demolition job on Hendry in 2008, in particular the 8-0 second session. Still the best snooker I've seen live.

- Ronnie v Higgins matches. All of them, especially the finals.

Postby Smart

the World Open refusal is now part of the legend, priceless stuff.............good post Sonny. You know when you are seeing something special and you are bursting to spit out what you have just seen, well ROS has produced more of those moments than anyone in snooker. No fanboy comment, thats truth. :-D :wave:

Postby Monique

On a slightly different perspective, here are my top moments … in no particular order

After winning the 2001 WC, his sister - with whom at the time the relationship was a bit "tense" - asking him what he'd like to get from her as a gift for his win. "Give me a cuddle" was the answer.

The way he handled Ding's meltdown at the Masters 2007.

Winning the Masters in 2009 with an alien cue after smashing his own. That was some feat!

The 140+7. It was pure theatre. Already in August, Ronnie had told Jan that he would do this if the opportunity presented itself. So Jan knew exactly what was going on from the start and he played along. Everything was theatre there, Jan pretending not to be sure, the "guilt trip". And it was brilliant.

The 2012 German Masters win. I was there and saw close-up how unwell he was. That was sheer willpower and burning desire to win.

After winning the World last May, Ronnie and his son looking at each other under the shower of coloured papers, the father fighting his emotions and brimming with pride, the boy looking at him with ecstatic eyes - hand in hand. There was nothing else in the world for them at that moment.

and on a much lighter note: the competition between him and Paul Hunter: unusual hair cuts and bandanas!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote: I believe he will return at some point because he will still be capable of reaching the latter stages of tournaments in 20 years from now when he's in his mid 50s so there's still plenty of time.

The Problem is though Travelling will get much worst and in 20 years time will even the World Championship be in Britain Maybe even the Masters will be somewhere else.

Snooker is going Global and leaving these shores at a alarming rate TBH Will Ronnie be able to cope with a jet set lifestyle from here on in ?

Postby Roland

We all know he wants to be able to pick and choose and with the money list that will be an option as long as he keeps winning big events, so I reckon he's waiting to see how the money list works out.

Postby The Cueist

Sonny wrote:We all know he wants to be able to pick and choose and with the money list that will be an option as long as he keeps winning big events, so I reckon he's waiting to see how the money list works out.

You sure Oneball?

I know you may not like the idea of this ,I shouldnt think that some of these betting coup's and match fixing probes are making him feel that snooker is going to the dogs.

Ronnie will defend his World Title,He will see sense by then,I am sure of it.

As for money list?What about it!

Sorry if i seem rude but i cant see what you mean.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Monique wrote:On a slightly different perspective, here are my top moments … in no particular order

After winning the 2001 WC, his sister - with whom at the time the relationship was a bit "tense" - asking him what he'd like to get from her as a gift for his win. "Give me a cuddle" was the answer.

Winning the Masters in 2009 with an alien cue after smashing his own. That was some feat!

The 140+7. It was pure theatre. Already in August, Ronnie had told Jan that he would do this if the opportunity presented itself. So Jan knew exactly what was going on from the start and he played along. Everything was theatre there, Jan pretending not to be sure, the "guilt trip". And it was brilliant.

The 2012 German Masters win. I was there and saw close-up how unwell he was. That was sheer willpower and burning desire to win.

After winning the World last May, Ronnie and his son looking at each other under the shower of coloured papers, the father fighting his emotions and brimming with pride, the boy looking at him with ecstatic eyes - hand in hand. There was nothing else in the world for them at that moment.

and on a much lighter note: the competition between him and Paul Hunter: unusual hair cuts and bandanas!

<ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:On a slightly different perspective, here are my top moments … in no particular order

That's not really the referees job. To play along with something the player suggests to make the frame more interesting.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
Monique wrote:The 140+7. It was pure theatre.

It was attention seeking twiddle.

At the time he said it was a way to protest against the fact there was no prize money for a maximum, so by refusing to pot the final black he would make a point.

It was attention seeking no doubt, but it isn't just a coincindence that a few months later a rolling prize money for making a 147 was introduced.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
At the time he said it was a way to protest against the fact there was no prize money for a maximum, so by refusing to pot the final black he would make a point.

It was attention seeking no doubt, but it isn't just a coincindence that a few months later a rolling prize money for making a 147 was introduced.

Whatever point he was trying to make or not make is up to Ronnie. There's no way it was the referee's responsibility to help him make it.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Whatever point he was trying to make or not make is up to Ronnie. There's no way it was the referee's responsibility to help him make it.

It wasn't and nobody forced Jan into playing along. Ronnie made it clear what he intended to do beforehand, and Jan made the choice to play along. Nobody coerced Jan into doing anything, which is what I assume you are suggesting.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

It wasn't and nobody forced Jan into playing along. Ronnie made it clear what he intended to do beforehand, and Jan made the choice to play along. Nobody coerced Jan into doing anything, which is what I assume you are suggesting.

That isn't what I'm suggesting at all.

I'm suggesting that Jan should have flat out refused. You can't have referees agreeing with players beforehand how they are going to referee the match. If Ronnie said "I am going to refuse this black, pretend to be angry and make me pot it." He's essentially telling Jan which rules to enforce. How can that be right?

Whilst the match is on, Jan is there to referee. Not be Ronnie's mate.

Postby TheSaviour

They probably need some next generation - people to explain how it actually works, how good Ronnie actually has been, somewhere in the future. After years and years endless 24/7 trash talking about Ronnie and pretty about anything they can just imagine, the current generation doesn´t have any credibility to explain it. No one can take it seriously, even if how much wanting to. They owns an explanation to the ordinarly people of how they have developed into the such a persons they currently are. Where does that kind of a culture really come from? The history books doesn´t quite reveal that. How they developed in to the such a persons after a relatively good start somewhere in the past. Thanks from the previous generations.

What is possible and what isn´t. And what is a rock solid building job... The links from a one ball to the another....

Some things which are build, just are. If it is a proper job done. It doesn´t help no matter how brainy, talented, connected, allied some incredibly big amount of people and citizens are. Some things which are build, just are.

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:They probably need some next generation - people to explain how it actually works, how good Ronnie actually has been, somewhere in the future. After years and years endless 24/7 trash talking about Ronnie and pretty about anything they can just imagine, the current generation doesn´t have any credibility to explain it. No one can take it seriously, even if how much wanting to. They owns an explanation to the ordinarly people of how they have developed into the such a persons they currently are. Where does that kind of a culture really come from? The history books doesn´t quite reveal that. How they developed in to the such a persons after a relatively good start somewhere in the past. Thanks from the previous generations.

What is possible and what isn´t. And what is a rock solid building job... The links from a one ball to the another....

Some things which are build, just are. If it is a proper job done. It doesn´t help no matter how brainy, talented, connected, allied some incredibly big amount of people and citizens are. Some things which are build, just are.

:anyone: