Post a reply

Kamui

Postby Cannonball

I trumpeted the marvels of laminated tips a while back and a couple of friends took up the idea and let me fit some Talismans for them. They love those tips, and they're getting more action on the cue ball as a result (they were using BDs before). The only problem is, I've had 2 Talismans delaminate on my own cue, an Aurora also split in half, and I'm now back to Buffalo Diamond Plus, and happy. Now a friend who is a very good player (multiple 147s, year as a pro, beat Ronnie on Ronnie's table etc) has asked me about Talismans and if I'd fit one for him. I was a bit reluctant and explained that there are problems with all laminates but a lot of folk in the know recommend Kamui as the best laminate around. Problem is, I haven't used one. I've heard a lot about Kamui Blacks, especially the Mediums. Has anyone used them, and are they the dogs bullocks of tips, as Davis and Higgins attest? I really don't want to fit a tip on a cue that good for a player that good, and screw up his game if you understand me?

Re: Kamui

Postby vodkadiet

Why don't you just use a cue off the rack in the club each time you go? I think you also find there will always be a piece of chalk left behind, or under the a table(just make sure you don't get down on all fours to get it when someone is playing their shot.

The best policy is to get stoned out of your head before you go down the club and then you won't have a care about tips, buffalos, diamonds, lamination, screw shots, throwing frames for cash, ripping the cloth, smashing the whole club up, etc.

Get high and your problems will all be resolved.

Postby Roland

I've never tried a laminated tip but it sounds like even though they play a bit better, they need replacing more often. I'm happy with my Talisman at the moment. I always bodge putting my own on so take my cue to Craftsman in Kippax to get it done properly and they swear by Talisman.

Postby Witz78

its amazing the diff a proper tip repair job does.

ive honestly played crap for almost 6 months, hence ive resorted to grinding tactics instead of my usual all out attack though thankfully ive still won bulk of my games. but after various botched home made repairs i deciced enough was enough after 3 losses in a row in the past few weeks.

The problem was that when i was re-tipping it the tip always slipped in the vice before it got a chance to set, so when i went to play with it the tip wasnt central so i was having to spin the cue round before every shot to get it to a part of the tip that was connecting with the ball that i felt happiest with, plus the tip overlapping the ferrule more to one side was off-putting when down on a shot and in your eyeline,

So i got a pro repair job by a guy at the club and its now tipped fully central, but the next problem i had was the new tip was obviously too new and needed bedded in but it was just too cuved and cambered for my liking, so ive planed it right down so the tip is completely flat,

What a difference, im striking everything with total confidence and fancy every pot now whereas before id major self doubt. Responded by winning my last 2 matches in the last few days 5-2 and 6-2 fairly easy and at last ive my swagger around the table back.

Postby Roland

I always screw up on getting it the right shape. It doesn't cost much to get it done by a professional anyway and it's only 20 minutes up the road and they do a great job. I'm tempted to try a laminated but I really can't complain about the tip I've got on at the moment so really I don't have a need to try something different.

Postby Witz78

we need to get a challenge sorted sometime Sonny

theres a 24 hour snooker club in Sheffield

though unfortunately when im there snooker clubs arent really the kinda clubs im looking for :D

Postby Roland

I'll give you a game if you in the area. What's your highest break anyway, you've not filled out the profile field.