Post a reply

The Snookerfanatic Awards 2009

Postby Tubberlad

What are your highs and lows of 2009? Who has ruled the snooker world? What matches had you on the edge of the seat? Here is my take on the year that's past...

Best Player: John Higgins
Has to be really? Crowned World Champions for the third time in May with a comprehensive 18-9 win over Shaun Murphy. Although he failed to win any other tournaments, he made the finals of both the China Open and UK Championship. Incredibly consistent, Higgins has been the man of 09.

Best Match: John Higgins 13-12 Mark Sely
It had everything. Breathtaking quality. Two players at their best. A few lucky moments, turning points and a deciding frame finish. Higgins came out on top, in spite of Selby hardly putting a foot wrong.

Most improved player: Ding Junhui
Might sound like a strange choice, having been one of the stories of 2005 and 2006. But Ding has been non existent the last few seasons, with many wondering if he was simply a flash in the pan. Thankfully, we've been proven wrong, and the brilliant Chinese player seems to have turned a corner. Runner-up at the Grand Prix, Ding went on to win the UK Championship for the second time yesterday.

Best Comeback: Ronnie turning an 8-2 deficit into a deciding frame thriller
Higgins had mauled the Rocket, and at 8-2 he found himself just one frame from victory. Incredibly, despite some controversy along the way, Ronnie showed why he has been the player of the decade by winning 6 frames in a row against the strongest player mentally on the planet. Higgins finally won in the end, but what a fright he got.

Most disappointing player: Judd Trump
The supremely talented young potter still seems a long, long way from realising his potential, and that's a major pity. Outside of a Premier League win over Ronnie O'Sullivan, Trump has had few positives, and blowing a commanding lead over Stephen Lee, thus failing to qualify for the World Championship again, was a massive disappointment. 2010 could tell alot in terms of where Judd Trump is going.

Best performance: Mark Allen v Ronnie O'Sullivan
Perhaps another surprise for 606 writers, but few would have given the Ulsterman much chance. Allen played very well throughout, and under the most intense pressure knocked out the World Champion and World Number One on the biggest stage of all.

Posters of the year: Sickpotter and Oneball
Sickpotter is by far the most eloquent of the Hendry fan's, very reasoned in his debating, a cracking poster. Oneball is another solid writer, produces good articles and of course, has now founded snookerfanatic, a forum with massive potential.

And finally:

Player of the decade: Ronnie O'Sullivan
He didn't dominate like a Davis or Hendry, but he has been, in my opinion, by far the best player of the noughties. He finally realised his potential in 2001 by defeating John Higgins 18-14 in the World Championship final, and he looked faultless all through. Later that year, he hammered Ken Doherty 10-1 with a brilliant UK Final display. In 2004, he absolutely blitzed the opposition to retain his World title, his 17-4 semi-final win over Hendry showing just how far ahead of the rest he could be on his day. Ronnie dominated during 2005, hammering John Higgins 10-3 in the Masters final and winning 3 other ranking events, but came unstuck against Peter Ebdon in a controversial World quarter-final. It began a lean period for the Rocket, but by 2007 he was back. He destroyed Ding Junhui 10-3 with another breathtaking display in the Masters final, and hammered Stephen Maguire 10-2 in the UK Final. Another semi-final crushing of Hendry saw him take his third World Title of the decade in 2008.
Three World Titles. Two UK titles. Three Masters titles. 15 ranking titles. The best of the 00's.

Re: The Snookerfanatic Awards 2009

Postby GJ

Best Match: John Higgins 5-6 Robbo

Most improved player: Matt Selt

Best Comeback: Robbo v murphy he was 14-7 down got it back to 14-14 missed one ball in frame 29 and murphy never missed a ball after that in the last 3 frames

Most disappointing player: Matthew Stevens but he still has a world
snooker title in him

Best performance of the year : Robbo against higgins at grand prix

Posters of the year: Case master WC and Wild

And finally:

Player of the decade: John Higgins

Postby Bourne

What are your highs and lows of 2009? Who has ruled the snooker world? What matches had you on the edge of the seat? Here is my take on the year that's past...

World Champion
Final in China and UK
Every tournament since the Welsh, he's either been champ or he's been someone the Champ has had to beat.

Best Match: O'Sullivan 10-8 Selby (Masters)
Two players at the top of their game going toe-to-toe in a great atmosphere. Some of the frames were tight until the colours, I particularly remember Selby potting a ball (black ?) off the cushion at full-length distance, class. I think Ronnie relished that challenge and both players knew they had to be almost perfect to beat the other.

Maybe the lowpoint of his career is losing to a wildcard in China, a few years after winning the title as a wildcard himself. He is supposed to be the star of Chinese snooker but to see him almost disappear out of the top 16 was quite startling, but this season his whole demeanour has changed, quarters in Shanghai, final in Glasgow and topping it off with the no.2 title in the UK. An incredible turnaround.

Best Comeback: Robertson vs Carter (World Championships)

Not so much the match-score, but 4 or 5 times, Robbo was down 50-70 points, each time he showed intense bottle and tactical play to win those frames from under Carter's nose. On another day, he'd have lost about 9-6, but that day was a great example of how a player should grab their chances when they get it.

His form in the Championship League was top draw but that highlights where his problems lie, he can't transfer his non-ranking form into the big events. Time is on his side, very much so, and i've no doubt he'll be in the top 16 soon, but 2009 will be a year he'll want to forget.

Best performance: Robertson and Maguire (Masters)

The standard from both players in this match was relentlessly good, 5 centuries in a row (3 and 2). Robertson will maybe never play better in his life and still lose a match.

Posters of the year: TGNTG

Comic genius, hope he gets his a$$ here quick.

And finally:

Three world titles, several 147s, titles at all levels and still the most exciting draw in the sport.

Postby Roland

Flattering as it is, the poster of the year is asking for trouble if you ask me! Seen it on other forums in end of year polls. I enjoy many posters and that includes Seifer as well as some of his least favourite people!

Hard to argue with your choices though tubberlad in the other categories.

I'd add a newcomer of the year award and give it to Liang Wenbo. And I'd have to have a top 3 matches of the season:

1) Higgins 13-12 Selby (Worlds quarter-final)
2) O'Sullivan 10-8 Selby (Masters final)
3) Robertson 6-5 Higgins (Grand Prix semi)

All three of those matches were gripping from start to finish.

Honourable mentions go to Saturdays match (O'Sullivan 8-9 Higgins (UK semi)), Allen 13-11 O'Sullivan (Worlds 2nd round) and Liang 6-5 Murphy (Shanghai semi)

Postby Wildey

Best Match: John Higgins 13-12 Mark Sely

Most improved player: Liang Wenbo

Best Comeback: Selby 8-4 down vs Cope having lost both his ranking matches this season the pressure he was under was intense to say the least but somehow he not only won 9-8 but the way he did it with some heavy scoring.

Best performance: John Higgins beating Selby and Selby made 5 centuries in the match.thats the match that will define Higgins as a true great of this sport in years to come.

Posters of the year: thetubberlad although hes new to me and hes young his articles and threads are always worth a read.

And finally:

Postby Alex0paul

Reached at least the semis of 7 of the 8 events plus the winners group during the Championship League.

Best Match: Mark Selby 13-10 Graeme Dott
For me this watch the best match of the year. It didn't have any headlines but for it was tense and Selby had to play at the top of his game to hold off a strong comeback from Dott.

The prospect of him dropping out of the top 16, I believe, woke Ding up and hopefully he will now realise his potential.

Best Comeback: Mark Allen 13-17 John Higgins
Although he didn't win the match, to come back from 4-14 down to come close to winning was unbelievable. Another classic Crucible semi to add to my witnessed live list.

Most disappointing player: Marco Fu
After reaching the UK final and almost winning it, since he has barely won a match and looks like he will fall back into obscurity.

Best performance: Peter Ebdon winning the China Open
Came from nowhere to play fantastic snooker all week to capture his eighth ranking title under the immense pressure of losing his top 16 status and personal issues.

Postby Seifer Almasy

Best Player: John Higgins. Despite not winning anything this season, he is world champion and provisional N1. He has had a huge amount of luck though and should have been out in R2 in 2 events. Selby should have been world champion.

Best Match: O'Sullivan 10-8 Selby (Masters)
A great tactical battle that showed O'Sullivan was more than capable of holding it together. he had a terrible run of the ball early on in the match but plugged away and won it with a new cue. Genius.,

Most improved player: Neil Robertson
Despite Ding winning the UK, that isn't enough to go on. Robertson has been far the most improved player imho, and has also won a ranking event this season.

Best Comeback: O'Sulllivan against Higgins, UK 2009

Might not have won it, but that was more to do with the run of balls in the last frame. To come back against John Higgins from 8-2 down is something only Hendry might have been able to achieve.

Judd has not performed in the big events, and despite some good wins under his belt, he is not living up to his potential. Being th age he is, you can be sure that this will change when he enters his best years.

Posters of the year: Anglo. Balanced, fair, not a WUM sausage head like so many, says what he means and means what he says. Not politically correct and can actually debate properly.

Enough said.

Postby Roland

O'Sullivan is always unlucky, Higgins lucky, and Anglo isn't a WUM? Of course not! <doh>

Postby Seifer Almasy

I was in snooker club yesterday, and all I heard at the bar and on the tables was how Lucky Higgins had been

I think that says it all really <cool> and no...I don't think anglo is WUM....at all.

Postby Roland

Higgins being called lucky just because he had a bit of run in a couple of instances to get to 6-1 is laughable considering the amount of bad run he had after that. And we are talking all within a single session of snooker, not a career. It's bloody ridiculous to make out Higgins is anything other than a deserved World Champion and potential WN1 and probably still the best player in the world.

Postby Casey

Ronnie had enough run in the second session to do him a lifetime. Take the last frame for example, Higgins played a great safety shot - one red into the pack to split the reds everywhere. He was unlucky a red went right over the corner pocket leaving Ronnie in, then Ronnie made a poor shot choice going for the pink when he should have taken the blue. The balls were spread nice for John but it was him that opened the reds like that so he deserved to have a shot at them. The black and green he potted was what I would call - bottle a plenty

Postby GJ

case_master wc wrote:Ronnie had enough run in the second session to do him a lifetime. Take the last frame for example, Higgins played a great safety shot - one red into the pack to split the reds everywhere. He was unlucky a red went right over the corner pocket leaving Ronnie in, then Ronnie made a poor shot choice going for the pick when he should have taken the blue. The balls were spread nice for John but it was him that opened the reds like that so he deserved to have a shot at them. The black and green he potted was what I would call - bottle a plenty

havnt you realised ronnie can never get enough run of the ball he is always unlucky no matter what happens

<laugh>

Postby Wildey

Seifer island hatah wrote:I was in snooker club yesterday, and all I heard at the bar and on the tables was how Lucky Higgins had been

I think that says it all really <cool> and no...I don't think anglo is WUM....at all.

nobody can deny first session to lead 6-2 he was lucky but thats part of the sport. i can think many matches Players been unlucky in and next match they got lucky it swings in roundabouts and in his 22 Ranking titles im sure Ronnie got lucky along the way same with Hendry,Davis etc.

Postby Lucky

Best Match: O'Sullivan 10-8 Selby Masters Final

Most improved player: Robbo

Best Comeback: Ronnie v Higgins (Shame what went on during and afterwards <doh> )

Most disappointing player: Jamie Cope & Ryan Day (Cant split 'em)

Best performance: Higgins final frame deciders (This years Worlds especially)

Posters of the year: I'm not adding to this little can 'o' worms <ok>

Player of the decade: Ronnie O'Sullivan (Gotta be really)

Postby Roland

Sonny wrote:Flattering as it is, the poster of the year is asking for trouble if you ask me! Seen it on other forums in end of year polls.

See what I mean? Posts removed due to off topic personal remarks directed at a nomination for poster of the year :no:

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:
Sonny wrote:Flattering as it is, the poster of the year is asking for trouble if you ask me! Seen it on other forums in end of year polls.

See what I mean? Posts removed due to off topic personal remarks directed at a nomination for poster of the year :no:

sorry sonny

Postby SnookerFan

Seifer island hatah wrote:I was in snooker club yesterday, and all I heard at the bar and on the tables was how Lucky Higgins had been

Yes. It says that Ronnie has a lot of fans.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:More like verbal diahorrea of the year

no thats seifer once he starts he cant stop and by the end of the post i got to start reading it again about 3 hours later. <laugh>

Postby Eirebilly

For me, the current world champ, provisional #1 and most consistent this year.

Best Match: Robertson 6-5 Higgins (Grand Prix semi)

Absolutely astonishing match that kept me on the edge of the seat.

Starting to look like he will reach his potential and be a force in snooker.

Best Comeback: Ronnie turning an 8-2

What can you say, seriously a stunning comeback.

I expected a lot more from him this year.

Best performance: Selby vs Higgins Worlds QF (12-13)

Both players played just brilliant snooker and it was one of the tightest matches i have ever seen.

Posters of the year: Sickpotter

His advice has helped improve my own personal game immensly. Honourable mention to JFLTMBE for his advice as well.

Not much more can be said about him except that he has been the best this decade.

Postby Wildey

Judd is on everyones most disappointing list.

he is such a great talent but theres something missing.

Postby Eirebilly

wildJONESEYE wrote:Judd is on everyones most disappointing list.

he is such a great talent but theres something missing.

I think that we all expected a lot more from him. He has all the talent but seems to be having trouble stepping it up.

Postby GJ

im more disappointed about matthew stevens as he still has the game to win titles

Postby Eirebilly

GJtheaussiestud wrote:im more disappointed about matthew stevens as he still has the game to win titles

The game yes but he seriously lacks the consistency required. If he had a little run and built up his confidence again then i can see at least 1 ore title in him. Possibly the Welsh open.