Post a reply

Chamfer

Postby Cannonball

I've always struggled with the chamfer and the heel of my hand; it just doesn't feel right. I've been taking the cue back and opening the hand, which has lead to a bit of rotation (I marked the upper shaft to verify this), then delivered the cue with the hand in the slightly rotated position. Setting up/feathering in one position with the V on top, and delivering the cue with the V at 5mins before the hour. These are two different shot lines, and I figured out this was causing the majority of misses. I pause 3 times during the process (as coaches advise), so it's not that.

I even thought of trying to get a cue without a chamfer, ala Jimmy White. While looking at the Trumpster on youtube, I noticed something different; he appeared to have the chamfer down the outside. I tried this last night on a pool table and it immediately felt much better, with the blessed chamfer tucked behind the knuckles, into the palm of the hand. My hand position felt the same during set up and feathering as it did during backswing, and delivery. Has anyone else tried this with any success?

Re: Chamfer

Postby Roland

What's a chamfer?

Postby Lucky

In engineering its when you take the edge of something.....so im guessing its flat bit at the butt end of some cues.

Postby Roland

Ah yeah that'll be it. I like to grip my chamfer in a certain way with my finger prints on the flat bit I think. Minds eye working this out, will have to verify tomorrow night.

Postby Lucky

Sonny wrote:Ah yeah that'll be it. I like to grip my chamfer in a certain way with my finger prints on the flat bit I think. Minds eye working this out, will have to verify tomorrow night.

This thread is going to go down the innuendo route <ok> phnarr phnarr

Postby Roland

Yes, I grip by the flat bit and give it a few strokes before the follow through

Postby Cannonball

Just a few strokes? You'll be taking your shot far too quickly then Sonny..............

Your chamfer must be underneath then, or nearly underneath?

Postby Roland

Minds eye again, I think I have it at about 7 to 8 o'clock but until I go and play tomorrow night, I'm only guessing. I think I have it at the top when using the rest.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Yes, I grip by the flat bit and give it a few strokes before the follow through

I grip my chamfer fairly hard, sometimes with both hands as its a beast. :clap:

Postby Muppet147

Smart wrote:
Sonny wrote:Yes, I grip by the flat bit and give it a few strokes before the follow through

This proves you are a complete banker. :-)

Postby Smart

Muppet147 wrote:
Smart wrote:

This proves you are a complete banker. :-)

multi-handed was the implication you despicable cunt-piece :wave:

Postby Sickpotter

Typically I have the chamfer in my finger tips.

Very important that you're comfortable with it, I tend to look for cues that have a nice straight grain to look down when I've gripped the chamfer with my finger tips on it. Always good to hold the cue the same way so it helps from that aspect as well.

Postby Wildey

anyone else with chamfer experiances ?

witz

im sure you got some experiences of playing with other peoples Chamfer.

Postby jojo

ive alwayys been fussy the flat bit has to be at the bottom

Postby Witz78

Im playing tonight so ill get back to yous but im pretty sure i do it the same way as Sonny, even with the rest !!