Post a reply

Stephen Lee Suspended From World Snooker Tour !!

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 18,00.html

On 2 October 2012 the Crown Prosecution Service announced that there will be no criminal proceedings in the match fixing allegations against Stephen Lee made in 2010. Following this decision by the CPS, the WPBSA started its own investigation into these allegations.

On 5 October 2012 the WPBSA met with the Gambling Commission in order to review material collected by the Gambling Commission which may prove relevant to the WPBSA investigation.

The WPBSA is now in the process of conducting a thorough enquiry into the circumstances and this will be led by Nigel Mawer, the Chairman of the WPBSA Disciplinary Committee.

On 12 October 2012, the WPBSA was informed of suspicious betting patterns relating to a game between Stephen Lee and John Higgins played on 11 October 2012. This suspicious activity has also been referred to Nigel Mawer, the Chairman of the WPBSA Disciplinary Committee.

The WPBSA have carefully considered both the initial information from the Gambling Commission which was reviewed on 5th October 2012 and the new information regarding suspicious betting patterns in relation to the match between Stephen Lee and John Higgins from 11 October 2012.

The WPBSA have concluded that it would not be appropriate for Stephen Lee to continue to compete on the World Snooker Tour whilst these investigations are undertaken and therefore WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson has taken the decision to suspend Stephen from competition whilst this enquiry is ongoing.

Subject to his right to appeal, this suspension will remain in place until either the conclusion of the investigation or any resultant hearings.

Re: Stephen Lee Suspended From World Snooker Tour !!

Postby snooky147

So, as much as I detest him I'll be consistent and say what I said in the Jogia affair. Unless they have actual proof suspension is harsh. So I'll choose to assume that they do have proof.

Postby Wildey

on the subject of consistency i for one would like to see this suspension trend continue.

its time this is stamped out and if suspending players pending a inquiery is the way to go lets go for it.

Postby snooky147

Wild WC wrote:on the subject of consistency i for one would like to see this suspension trend continue.

its time this is stamped out and if suspending players pending a inquiery is the way to go lets go for it.

Easy for you to say mate. He is being denied the right to earn.

Postby Wildey

but something has to be done and patting players on the back saying there there there doesn't work.

time to get tough and i applaud Jason Ferguson

Postby GJ

He should have all titles won last season removed

100 % record is back

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:He should have all titles won last season removed

100 % record is back

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Skullman

Wild WC wrote:but something has to be done and patting players on the back saying there there there doesn't work.

Suspend him after he's been proven guilty. What if he's innocent? Is he meant to just take losing a few tournaments worth of prize money and ranking points?

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
Wild WC wrote:but something has to be done and patting players on the back saying there there there doesn't work.

Suspend him after he's been proven guilty. What if he's innocent? Is he meant to just take losing a few tournaments worth of prize money and ranking points?

to be frank i don't give a toss and neither should world snooker.

when cleaning up a mess there's always going to be innocent victims but the End justifies the means in my book.

Postby Roland

No way, you can't have innocent victims, that's completely wrong. As I've said in the past though, it's a good job you're not running the shop.

Anyway I've seen the evidence. Put it this way, if you're playing for a £1000 a frame and you have a simple pink you just need to drop into the middle to leave a simple black, and you don't play it, then what the hell are people meant to think? Forgetting the cannon into black shot and the last chip the black off cush and leave opponent a 9/10 pot, that pink to middle says there was something dodgy going on. That's my opinion but I've played and watched the game for long enough to know that even Ronnie in showboating mode wouldn't have played anything different with frame and £1000 on the line for making two simple pots.

Postby Wildey

the sport would be Hyginicly clean with me incharge

id just get Rid of scum without any hesitation and if inocent people are lost to the sport Big bucking deal Everyone will Know where they stand.

if there's scapegoats then that's fine with me Sacrifice the Few to Clean up the Sport once and for all.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You're a dictator without power.

no

the message is clearly not getting through here is it.

we need to get really tough

Postby Wildey

i think its important to note here Thepchaya un-nooh has not been suspended regarding the Davis Match and unusual betting patterns a month ago.

so whatever evidence World Snooker has at it discretion to suspend a player less than 24 hours after the match must be incredibly strong.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Exactly, suspend when the evidence is strong. But you can't advocate sacrificial lambs who are innocent as fair game, that's silly talk.

im just snake hissed off about all this rubbish mate its like a never ending load of bullocks since that Ebdon v Wenbo match in 2008 and i approve of the stand taken by Jason Ferguson.

Postby Witz78

for bucks sake can someone please answer me for the fourth time...............

WHAT WAS ALL THE MONEY ON?

4-2 ???

HIGGINS TO WIN ????

I STAND BY MY ORIGINAL VIEW OF THE ACTION I SAW AND IT CONCURS WITH SICKPOTTERS OPINION TOO.

AND WHAT HAPPENED TO INNOCENT UNTIL GUILTY??

BUT I HONESTLY CANT SEE ANYTHING FOR LEE TO WORRY ABOUT HERE, TOTAL JOKE TO BE HONEST. IS PAUL MOUNT IN CHARGE OF THE ANTI-SLEAZE COMMITTEE?

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:No way, you can't have innocent victims, that's completely wrong. As I've said in the past though, it's a good job you're not running the shop.

Anyway I've seen the evidence. Put it this way, if you're playing for a £1000 a frame and you have a simple pink you just need to drop into the middle to leave a simple black, and you don't play it, then what the hell are people meant to think? Forgetting the cannon into black shot and the last chip the black off cush and leave opponent a 9/10 pot, that pink to middle says there was something dodgy going on. That's my opinion but I've played and watched the game for long enough to know that even Ronnie in showboating mode wouldn't have played anything different with frame and £1000 on the line for making two simple pots.

WHAT ABOUT THE 6 SUCCESSIVE NON EASY POTS FROM 2ND LAST RED TO GREEN ?

WHY DID LEE PLAY A SNOOKER ON THE PINK ??

SORRY MATE BUT YOUR OPINION HERE COUNTS FOR NOTHING COS YOUR BRAINWASHED AND UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALL THE LEE-HATERS <doh>

Postby Roland

And your opinion counts for something because you shout in capital letters and defend the undefendable like Jimmy Savile?

Neal Foulds on twitter last night:

"Neal Foulds ‏@fouldsy147

Bewildered but not surprised. "

Says it all.

Postby Monique

Once again, it seems that most don't read properly. WPBSA statement is clear enough about the fact that the suspension decision was motivated by the suspicious betting patterns - not any particular shot in the match itself - and material/evidence they claim to have about the previous case. In that one, Lee was cleared of charges by the UK justice system, but that does not mean he has not been in breach of WS/WSA regulations. As a simplistic example - and one that is not particularly related to Lee - I'm certain that being a snooker player doesn't make it illegal - in UK law - to bet on snooker, but it is against WS/WSA regulations.

Postby Lucky

People under estimate how clear a guide betting patterns are, there are literally millions of events to bet on at any one moment in the world, all logged on computers, the more data collected the greater the accuracy of the averages etc, and when a 'spike' occurs on the data it'll stand out like sore thumb, on a very few occasions it'll be explainable, but the bookies would pick up on this and set the odds accordingly in this connected, computerised world its a doddle to throw any match, but to actually get a bet on and away with it.......another matter.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Once again, it seems that most don't read properly. WPBSA statement is clear enough about the fact that the suspension decision was motivated by the suspicious betting patterns - not any particular shot in the match itself - and material/evidence they claim to have about the previous case. In that one, Lee was cleared of charges by the UK justice system, but that does not mean he has not been in breach of WS/WSA regulations. As a simplistic example - and one that is not particularly related to Lee - I'm certain that being a snooker player doesn't make it illegal - in UK law - to bet on snooker, but it is against WS/WSA regulations.

yea it had sod all to do with what happened in the Match Shot Selection etc etc HOWEVER Having a player Comment on shots via Twitter Adds to the Situation and Adds to the Decision was the Right one that he got Suspended pending a Inquiry.

Postby Roland

I think what happened on Thursday night with other players watching on tv and commenting on Twitter is a great thing for the sport because surely if anything is to deter a match fixer it should be knowing that their peers are scrutinising their matches and questioning the shot selections at any hint of foul play.

Postby Skullman

If Judd's Twitter timeline actually affected things, Ebdon would probably be banned for playing too slow. I don't think that had anything to do with the suspension.

Although Lucky brings up a good point. After what happened with Un-Nooh and Jogia, I'm wondering why anyone would be trying to make suspicious bets and trying to fix matches, when it's obvious that there are people on the lookout for such things and report it.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I think what happened on Thursday night with other players watching on tv and commenting on Twitter is a great thing for the sport because surely if anything is to deter a match fixer it should be knowing that their peers are scrutinising their matches and questioning the shot selections at any hint of foul play.

Great Point and hope it does

Skullman Playing slow is not against the Law lol

Postby snooky147

There will always be idiots who think they can beat the bookies but these days computers and algorythms rule the roost. They can predict unusual trends in betting long before a mere mortal can.
I do worry a little (although I see Sonny's point) that players commenting on twitter could actually trigger an investigation though it's clear that this did not happen here. I just think the players and the authorities have to beware of the social media side of things.

Postby Wildey

a Precedent was set with Joe Jogia But with Stephen Lee this Match is not Isolated not to mention the Logo Situation with Paul Mount its just one thing after another sometimes someone has to say STOP.

Postby PLtheRef

For any suspension to take place then there would have to be something considerably more to it than what we saw on twitter on Thursday night surely, because though some say it is good that players are looking out, keeping watch on the games that are going on the TV however the problem is that the ruling given that Lee is now suspended from playing is one that other players can actually benefit from (namely, Allen next Thursday, and whoever he meets in tournaments until the matter is resolved) hence why I'd expect there to have been something more into it because it would be dangerous to suspend players purely on the hearsay of another pro.

That said I would wait until after I'd been cleared before talking up legal action against Trump