Post a reply

Pankaj Advani chooses World Billiards over International

Postby Roland

You've seen the recent interview

http://www.snookerisland.com/blog/inter ... aj-advani/

Well today it has been confirmed that Pankaj Advani has chosen to withdraw from the International Championship in China at the end of the month, an event which saw him and compatriot Aditya Mehta both qualify and create headlines for Indian snooker in doing so last month.

He has chosen to play in the billiards IBSF World Championships to be held in Leeds Northern Snooker Centre from 18th to 28th October. The dilemma was all about that one extra day because the 28th is when the International starts over in China.

It is disappointing news for snooker fans, but Advani has shown with this decision that he's not in it for the money and he really is passionate about billiards. He knew the sacrifice he was making, he spoke with passion in the interview about reaching the venue of the International so he will be as disappointed as anyone that he is not going to take part.

This all begs the question, what happens now if he gets knocked out of the billiards early on?

Re: Pankaj Advani chooses World Billiards over International

Postby Wildey

if he withdraws thats that he watches the international Championship on The TV like us.

you cant withdraw then change your mind.

my view is clear on this MASSIVE MISTAKE.

Postby Monique

If he gets knocked-out early, there is nothing he can do. He will be out of the two events.

Other than that once again who do you think you are to decide for Pankaj what is right for him? It is his life and his decision and I'm sure it can't have been an easy one. And don't come about with "He not serious about snooker". After years of procrastinating, he took the decision to live as an expat in an alien culture to try himself at professional snooker. It wasn't an easy decision neither by any means. He said from the start that he wanted to be involved in both. Billiards is his game and this is the ONLY international event of any importance in the whole season. I'm not surprised by his choice and I'm wishing him the best in it.

Postby Roland

Harsh saying it's the easy option. He's a billiards legend, it's given him his identity so you can't blame him for wanting to play in the World Championships in the sport that he made his name in. I know from interviewing him that the choice has been eating him up and consumed his thoughts solidly for the last few weeks. The fact he's chosen billiards is disappointing, but he's made his decision now and good luck to him and I hope he gets a 3rd double.

Postby Wildey

it was not the easy option however it is choosing what hes been top dog in.

Similar to a top footballer staying at a little club because in that club he is top dog instead of sitting on the subs bench at Man Utd.

better career move but he wont play much.

Postby Roland

So if there's only one decent tournament a year then surely that's the only one you'd want to play in?

At the end of the day, no one who could have helped him out helped him out. They could have moved him to the last wildcard slot in China and at least given him hope that he could play in both, but they wouldn't budge. He wanted to play in both, he tried but ultimately the powers that be decided he could only play in one.

Postby Skullman

He decided to play both, and while the IC is important, I'm sure he considers the Billiards Worlds Championship more important. Him going to the IC would be like Davis or Hendry, in their peak, deciding to skip the Worlds to play in a lucrative pool tournament.

I'd prefer him play in the IC, but it's his decision in the end.

Postby Skullman

Advani qualified for his first venue in his first season and reached the semis of the PHC beating some good players including John Higgins on his TV debut. Even if he misses this tournament, he'll make an impact on another.

He can still spread the snooker gospel.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:He decided to play both, and while the IC is important, I'm sure he considers the Billiards Worlds Championship more important. Him going to the IC would be like Davis or Hendry, in their peak, deciding to skip the Worlds to play in a lucrative pool tournament.

I'd prefer him play in the IC, but it's his decision in the end.

no thats not the same

Hendry or Davis would be taking a Backward step entering a Pool Tournament .

With Respect to Pankaj i believe hes taking a Backward Step on this occasion.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Is it a backward step? It's moving from one cue sport that you're successful in and been playing for years to another that you've just started. He'll have plenty of opportunities in the future.

hopefully yes he will have plenty of chances but if you pull out of a possible last 32 against Ding in china god if that dont make his blood boil over with enthusiasm and chooses a wet week in leeds instead.

in anyone's world that's backwards.

rest of the season could be spent in a Sheffield cubicle but that's ok he likes it in Yorkshire.

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Smart wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:how old is Advani?

too old for witz :pal:

i dont discriminate but now im a bit older, ive moved away from the lower end of the scale.

27-45 my range these days :john:

SJS would not be impressed :pal:

who said i was talking in years :gag:

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:He could face lots of great billiards players in Leeds :shrug:

anyway it dont bother me much personally im not getting hot under the collar about it its his decision to make now hes made it we move on.

only time will tell if it was the right one and only time will tell if he will get a second chance at a snooker venue this season.

acording to Dave Hendon he might face disciplinary proceedings http://snookerscene.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... lemma.html not sure if that's right though....he hardly pulled out because he wanted to go to snooker legends.

Postby Roland

That would be harsh. As someone pointed out in the comments section the WPBSA contains the words Billiards and Snooker so they should have anticipated this given Advani's pedigree in billiards and made sure the dates didn't clash. Of course the only reason this has happened is because he has reached a venue from the first qualifying round in only the 3rd event of his debut season.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:That would be harsh. As someone pointed out in the comments section the WPBSA contains the words Billiards and Snooker so they should have anticipated this given Advani's pedigree in billiards and made sure the dates didn't clash. Of course the only reason this has happened is because he has reached a venue from the first qualifying round in only the 3rd event of his debut season.

yea But WPBSA Dont Run the Sport any more thats World SNOOKER Ltd

Barry dont give a stuff about Billiards