Post a reply

Worrlds, UK and Masters titles... what else...?

Postby Andre147

I decided to create this topic so as to know which tournament, apart from the 3 Majors in our game, the World Championships, the UK Championship and Masters, you would like to win most, if you were a snooker player...

And please don't say it's the Premier League (as I'm sure you won't). Andy Goldstein often sayd that players want to do well in that supposed 4th Major of the season, but we all know he's full of crap... Players, often embaressed, say that they too consider it to be the 4th most important tourney on the calendar, but I reckon they only say it to shut Andy up.

So, which one would you like to win if you were a player?

Personally, when the Grand Prix used to be around, it was often refered to as the real 4th Major, especially when Rothams were sponsoring it... now it has been changed to the World Open and lost it's credibility a bit...

The International Champiosnhip has been refered as being the new 4th major of the season, carrying as many ranking points as the UK, so maybe I would choose that one to win, and I'm sure most players will want to do very well in it...

If the International Championhip wasn't around though, think I'd still choose a tourney in the far East as they often carry more ranking points, maybe the World Open as I mentioned.

Re: Worrlds, UK and Masters titles... what else...?

Postby Wildey

if i was a Snooker player id want to win every single tournament id hate to lose a single frame never mind match.

But as it stands i think there is no 4th major in the true sense any-more thats not to say the IC will in years to come fill the void.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:if i was a Snooker player id want to win every single tournament id hate to lose a single frame never mind match.

But as it stands i think there is no 4th major in the true sense any-more thats not to say the IC will in years to come fill the void.

It's hard to see the International Championship as a major before it's even been played. Hopefully in a few years, when it's become more established people will see it as such. (Kind of depends whether Eurosport bother to show the final. rofl )

I agree with you on the other regard. If the question is, what tournament would you most like to win outside the big 3, the answer should be; "All of them." When Hendry was in his pomp, he'd give 100% whether it was the Crucible or whether The MiddleOfNowhere Invitational. He wanted to win everything he entered. The most important tournament to him was always the next one he was due to play in.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild WC wrote:if i was a Snooker player id want to win every single tournament id hate to lose a single frame never mind match.

It's hard to see the International Championship as a major before it's even been played. Hopefully in a few years, when it's become more established people will see it as such. (Kind of depends whether Eurosport bother to show the final. rofl )

I agree with you on the other regard. If the question is, what tournament would you most like to win outside the big 3, the answer should be; "All of them." When Hendry was in his pomp, he'd give 100% whether it was the Crucible or whether The MiddleOfNowhere Invitational. He wanted to win everything he entered. The most important tournament to him was always the next one he was due to play in.

Hendry has said during the Presentation for a Tournament win while everyone else was Enjoying the Occasion he was Thinking about his next match and next trophy.

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Hendry has said during the Presentation for a Tournament win while everyone else was Enjoying the Occasion he was Thinking about his next match and next trophy.

Nobody was more focused on their next tournament than Davis.

Anyone remember him chalking his cue just after hed just been beaten and shook hands with Higgins in the 83 UK Final <laugh>

Postby Witz78

N_Castle07 wrote:German Masters for me.

a tournament played over 4 days can never be classed as a Major

time that was sorted and it was played over a week

with 5 tables in operation inside that massive arena, dont know why World Snooker dont just use this event as an expanded PTC in effect, a sort of blueprint for how the flat 128 tournaments will work and have all the pros plus x number of amateurs playing so theres 128 involved. Plus spin it out a week or 9 days and think of all that extra ticket revenue from the arena.

Typical WS, the very ranking tournament that has massive crowds, they limit to a 4 dayer yet are happy to have one man and his dog watching events in China for a week <doh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:German Masters for me.

a tournament played over 4 days can never be classed as a Major

time that was sorted and it was played over a week

with 5 tables in operation inside that massive arena, dont know why World Snooker dont just use this event as an expanded PTC in effect, a sort of blueprint for how the flat 128 tournaments will work and have all the pros plus x number of amateurs playing so theres 128 involved. Plus spin it out a week or 9 days and think of all that extra ticket revenue from the arena.

Typical WS, the very ranking tournament that has massive crowds, they limit to a 4 dayer yet are happy to have one man and his dog watching events in China for a week <doh>

The German Masters with 5 Tables in a Massive arena is a Prime Candidate for a Flat 128 Tournament Played over 9 Days

Day 1 4 sessions a day 9am Start Roll on Roll Off on 5 Tables
20 x L 128Matches

Day 2 4 sessions a day 9am Start Roll on Roll Off on 5 Tables
20 x L 128 Matches

Day 3 4 sessions a day 9am Start Roll on Roll Off on 5 Tables
20 X L 128 Matches

Day 4 4 sessions a day 9am Start Roll on Roll Off on 5 Tables
4 x L 128 Matches
16 x L 64 Matches

Day 5 4 sessions a day 9am Start Roll on Roll Off on 4 Tables
16 x L 64 Matches

Day 6 4 sessions a day 9am Start Roll on Roll Off on 4 Tables
16 x L 32 Matches

Day 7 3 Session on 3 Tables
8 x L 16 Matches

Day 8
Quarter Finals 11am
+
Semi Finals 7pm

Day 9
Final

in Total 30 Televised Matches BUT Everyone playing at the Venue over the same Time period as the UK Championship will be played.