Topic locked

Bank of Communications Shanghai Masters Last 16 Discussion !

Postby Wildey

Monday 17th~Sunday 23rd of September in Shanghai, China

The Last 16 and already some Major Casualties as Defending Champion Mark Selby and Chinas No 1 Ding Junhui has already falled by the wayside But safely through are Former World Champions Shaun Murphy,Neil Robertson,Graeme Dott and John Higgins as well as Former Champions Ricky Walden and Ali Carter.

Who will Reach the Quarter Finals ?

DRAW

Last 16

Jamie Cope v Stuart Bingham
Mark King v Shaun Murphy
John Higgins v Ryan Day
Allister Carter v Stephen Maguire
-------------------------------------------------
Mark Williams v Ricky Walden
Joe Perry v Neil Robertson
Stephen Lee v Graeme Dott
Mark Allen v Judd Trump

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Bank of Communications Shanghai Masters Last 16 Discussi

Postby Wildey

ive been informed via Twitter the Order of Play is

Thursday 20th of September

7.30am

Mark Williams v Ricky Walden Eurosport
Jamie Cope v Stuart Bingham Eurosport 2
Allister Carter v Stephen Maguire
Joe Perry v Neil Robertson

12.30pm

Mark Allen v Judd Trump Eurosport
Mark King v Shaun Murphy Eurosport 2
John Higgins v Ryan Day
Stephen Lee v Graeme Dott

Streaming for Non TV Tables Available Here http://live.video.sina.com.cn/room/sports2 (use internet Explorer)

Postby Skullman

The Chinese organisers clearly have no flexibility.

Even though King and Cope are through to the next round instead of Ding and Selby, they're still on the TV tables instead of Carter v Maguire and Lee v Dott which are the better matches in the sessions.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:The Chinese organisers clearly have no flexibility.

Even though King and Cope are through to the next round instead of Ding and Selby, they're still on the TV tables instead of Carter v Maguire and Lee v Dott which are the better matches in the sessions.

cope v Bingham and King v Murphy are the bottom matches of the Round

Robbo v Perry and Higgins v Day better Fixtures.

Postby hendry_fan

just saw the score of the Walden/Davis last 32 match,what a sickener for Davis,after comin back from 4-1 down to loose in the decider!. :dizzy:

*Ricky Walden* 5 Steve Davis 4

*John Higgins* 5 Jamie Jones 2

Well,i never!!,Johns managed to win a match again!!. ;-) :-D

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Almost forgot. How did Higgins play today? See that he won 5-2, but did he play well with big breaks or did he scrap over the line like in the PL last week?

a big improvement let see if he can keep it up.

Postby Wildey

hendry_fan wrote:Mark Allen v Judd Trump is definatley one of the more intrestin matches tomorrow if not the most intresting!.

yup

im surprised its on TV to be honest it goes against what they show.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:I also think Judd needs to prove he is no flash in the pan.

Flash in the Pan = once

hes won 2 Ranking Titles including the UK and hes made the World Final.

hes proved that already but it seemed to have passed by without you noticing.

Postby Skullman

He's definitely no one hit wonder but if he never wins anything again, he probably will be remembered as a talented player who just had a purple patch in 2011.

Of course, it's been less than a year since he won his last ranker and it's far too early to call him a flash in the pan.

Postby hendry_fan

"I can't help but feel like we'd be more entertained if both Stephen Lee and Marcus Campbell put down their cues, stopped playing snooker and just had a pie-eating contest instead. Give them both a chance to display their real talents."

<laugh> I,m not the type who laughs at others cause of the way they look or about how large they are but this comment you made Jewell,made me <laugh> ,one can certainly see the funny side of it!. :-D <laugh>

Postby Sickpotter

Muppet147 wrote:It's only a matter of time before Trump wins the World Championship.

Agreed.

Judd is still learning and hasn't quite got the hang of what pots not to take on but once he matures a bit more he's going to be one of the top contenders for the next decade.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:I also think Judd needs to prove he is no flash in the pan.

Well, this is what I suggested earlier on today. Flash in the pan was probably the wrong term to use but he had a great 6 month period in 2011 which he hasn't backed up, in fact he's been distinctly average since then which is what led me to make that comment.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Judd is a wonderful player and I have no doubt he'll get going again but until he does there will always be those question marks above his head.

many players goes off the boil at some time or other its Life and obvious he enjoyed the trappings of his success but its only about 9 months since he won the UK under Rodney Walker that would have only been 5 tournaments.

Postby Casey

Seriously guys, flash in the pan? He won a major last year and was sick at the WC which hit his chances there. He will be hitting big again at the Uk.

Trump v Allen tomorrow should be a cracker - Mark raises his game to play Judd and of course will be 2nd fav for the match. 5-4 with 3 tons in the match I'm thinking :-)

Postby PLtheRef

Casey wrote:Seriously guys, flash in the pan? He won a major last year and was sick at the WC which hit his chances there. He will be hitting big again at the Uk.

Trump v Allen tomorrow should be a cracker - Mark raises his game to play Judd and of course will be 2nd fav for the match. 5-4 with 3 tons in the match I'm thinking :-)

I actually think Allen will win that match. Mark is one of the few players that Judd is completely wary about, given the nature of his recovery in the UK final.

Postby hendry_fan

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:It's only a matter of time before Trump wins the World Championship.

People said that about Maguire at the start of his career. And Ding.

Not saying that Judd won't win the title. But there's no guarantees until it happens.

"I swear they said it about Matthew Stevens too and probably Jimmy White as well back in the day."

<laugh> the things that have been said over the years in snooker!.

Even the one and only Stephen Hendry said he thought that Ding would be a world champ,not much sign of that ;-) ,still has time though!.

As far as Jimmy White is concerned,well,some seem to have forgotten how great he was and that he had to face Steve Davis and Hendry many,many a time,if he did,nt have to face those 2 ,he would have won the worlds a couple of times and his silverware in general would be probably double of what it actualy ended up bein!.

And before some start to argue that he actualy did have 2 great chances to beat Hendry in the 90,s,especially the one where he twitched on the black in which Hendry cleared up to snatch the 1994 world championship, it,s easier said than done,the pressure was immense,especially if you,re up against someone like aSTEPHEN HENDRY!.

And even though he missed that black,Hendry still had to keep his cool,still had to pot a good few balls and make the champuionship winning break which even for him was,nt easy by any means under those circumstances!.

Postby Andy Spark

Jewell wrote:I swear they said it about Matthew Stevens too and probably Jimmy White as well back in the day.

Barry Hearn, early 1990's: "It may not be this year, it may not be next, but one day Jimmy White will win that world championship"....I remember the quote. It's great we have such a forward thinking businessman at the helm of our sport. Here we were thinking Jimmy was past it, but no, the great Hearn has assured us all he'll win the world championship one day!

Postby Andy Spark

Jewell wrote:Jimmy won the World Seniors Championship last year so Hearn was right.

Of course! When he said "that world championship" I should have realised that he was talking about a senior version of the championship that would come into existence twenty years later. He really is very forward thinking indeed! :-)

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Some random thoughts concerning the comments on the previous page:

- Trump is NOT a one hit wonder but he's experiencing a major setback this year. And I'm pretty sure that it will take some time before he gets back to the level of performance he produced in 2011.
- terrible choices with the tv tables by the organizers
- I think 12 out of the 16 players are over 30 years old.