Post a reply

Should the Paul Hunter Classic be made a Full Ranking Tournament ?

YES
36%
NO
64%

Total votes : 11

Should the Paul Hunter Classic Be Made a Full Ranker ?

Postby Wildey

i know ive asked this Question Before but like Everything else these days its Going to get Re Cycled.

Has The Paul Hunter Classic Grown out of the Shadows of the PTC and should it be Given Full Ranking Status ?

Here's two contrasting views on Twitter

First Ron Florax of CueTracker Website who played in the Paul Hunter Classic Amateur Rounds
Ron Florax ‏@CueTracker_Ron
I hope they never turn the PHC into a ranking event. I love it as it is, the mixing of pros & amateurs, the buzz... #fantastic

Second World no 3 Mark Williams
Mark Williams MBE ‏@markwil147
@markking147 best ptc by far, i think its to good for a ptc now, scrap it i say and give them wat they deserve, a full ranking tournament.

Simple Really

Should the Paul Hunter Classic be made a Full Ranking Tournament ?

YES

NO

Re: Should the Paul Hunter Classic Be Made a Full Ranker ?

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:Where is the 'don't care' option?

no such option if you don't care you don't vote <doh> <doh>

i knew there had to be a reason you are a Muppet.

Postby SnookerFan

Not under it's current format, no. It's a PTC with a standard PTC format. Have a week long ranker, with at least best of nine in each match and we're talking.

But who amongst us would disagree that Paul Hunter deserves a full ranker named after him. Hell, the year The Masters had no ranking, it should've been called The Paul Hunter Masters.

Paul Hunter. :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Not under it's current format, no. It's a PTC with a standard PTC format. Have a week long ranker, with at least best of nine in each match and we're talking.

But who amongst us would disagree that Paul Hunter deserves a full ranker named after him. Hell, the year The Masters had no ranking, it should've been called The Paul Hunter Masters.

Paul Hunter. :bowdown:

of course Full Ranker =Longer Format

otherwise there would be no point.

<doh>

Postby Skullman

Well if the tournament is in memory of Paul Hunter, surely it should stay in the same format to preserve the memories? Making it a full ranker would prevent German amatuers from playing unless the game was opened up again, although it does seem a shame that Germany doesn't have more rankers.

In short, no.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Well if the tournament is in memory of Paul Hunter, surely it should stay in the same format to preserve the memories? Making it a full ranker would prevent German amatuers from playing unless the game was opened up again, although it does seem a shame that Germany doesn't have more rankers.

In short, no.

thing is even if it was opened up again they would play qualifiers in Sheffield

Postby Casey

Make it a full ranker but let the amateurs play as well. The Chinese events have amateurs playing so I don't see why this one can't, yea they wouldn't get a bye to play one match before the last 32 but take it as it is and up the ranking points and money on offer.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:Make it a full ranker but let the amateurs play as well. The Chinese events have amateurs playing so I don't see why this one can't, yea they wouldn't get a bye to play one match before the last 32 but take it as it is and up the ranking points and money on offer.

yea but it would be Mainland Euro Amateurs and only 8 or Maximum 16 the British Amateurs wouldn't Get a Look in.

Postby Casey

Wild WC wrote:
Casey wrote:Make it a full ranker but let the amateurs play as well. The Chinese events have amateurs playing so I don't see why this one can't, yea they wouldn't get a bye to play one match before the last 32 but take it as it is and up the ranking points and money on offer.

yea but it would be Mainland Euro Amateurs and only 8 or Maximum 16 the British Amateurs wouldn't Get a Look in.

No, I mean keep it as a 128 flat draw - the only change I would make is up the ranking points (6000 for the winner) and the prize fund. So it's a full ranker but keeping the same format.

Postby Alpha

I think the PHC is perfect as it is. Turning it into a full ranker means the German amateurs won't get a look in and the German fans deserve another full ranker without having to tamper with the PHC .

Postby PLtheRef

To be honest this is probably the most prestigious PTC on the tour by far, and its the one I know most players gear themselves up for. Never been a massive fan of the PTCs but this one is always felt differently, as it had the history before, and of course for whom its named after.

I think a problem could be increasing the points because it could then overshadow the Grand Finals

If it became a ranker then I think it needs to keep its identity. That means having it a bit like darts UK open with FA Cup style competition.

Best of 7 up to QF
Wednesday 1st round (65-96 plus amateurs)
Thursday 2nd round (33-64 enter)
Friday last 64 (top 32 enter)
Saturday morning and afternoon last 32 , evening last 16
Sunday morning quarter-finals (7), afternoon semi-finals (9) and evening final (11)

Postby SnookerFan

I was one of the people who voted yes, but on reflection, I think I was answering a different question. I was answering; "Would you like Paul Hunter to be paid tribute to in a full ranker?" I think that would be nice.

But at the same time, I also think that this PTC is the most prestigious out of all of them. Seems to get a good crowd in for it based on it's location, and has some history. Tends to be one the players want to win. So, to put it that way it would be a shame to change it just for the sake of changing it.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I was one of the people who voted yes, but on reflection, I think I was answering a different question. I was answering; "Would you like Paul Hunter to be paid tribute to in a full ranker?" I think that would be nice.

But at the same time, I also think that this PTC is the most prestigious out of all of them. Seems to get a good crowd in for it based on it's location, and has some history. Tends to be one the players want to win. So, to put it that way it would be a shame to change it just for the sake of changing it.

i agree with that.

long before the PTC Came to town the Paul Hunter Classic was a festival of snooker with both amateurs and Pros coming together and getting close to the fans.

despite it increase to a PTC and the pressure increased it has remained the Festival it always was and the people come out in force to support it and see the locals play Legends.

why change the history of what it was all about when Paul Hunter first went over to Furth and won ?

Postby CueTracker

As my tweet states above, I hope not. There is such a buzz from having 200 players there, all battling for glory. It would really be diminished if it's turned into a 32-player event, even if they have local wildcards.

Also, if they want to give Germany an extra ranker, why not take EPTC6? The first rounds of that are player in the UK anyway, so it's nearly cut out local players already.

You could never keep the atmosphere and the buzz if you turn it. Also, the players love coming there and gear themselves up for it, why rob them of the only PTC (except perhaps Antwerp) for which they do this?

Don't change the PHC! (unless you make it a few days longer!)