Post a reply

Re: Bring back Big Break!

Postby SnookerFan

Living Snooker wrote:After the success of Judd Trump and Neil Robertson on Red or Black, let's see more snooker on TV other than tournaments - so says Anthony McGill in his latest blog at http://www.livingsnooker.com Would you want to see Big Break back on our screens?

Pot as many balls as you can.

Postby janddk

I saw it. It was on Yesterday just a few weeks ago. Jimmy White and Cliff Thorburn were in it.

Postby Roland

I always thought it was rubbish, but I watched it for the snooker players. Can't stand Jim Davison and stupidly easy questions in a quiz show but at least it kept the game in the public eye.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I always thought it was rubbish, but I watched it for the snooker players. Can't stand Jim Davison and stupidly easy questions in a quiz show but at least it kept the game in the public eye.

Funny you should say that, but I've tried watching it since it's been on Challenge TV. I rarely get through a full episode. It is pretty twiddle. Apart from laughing at how young some of the players look, there isn't anything to entertaining there. All it does is remind you how old John Virgo's impressions that he does at Snooker Legends are.

It was good that it got snooker in the publice eye, like you say. And I enjoyed it when I was 11. But it hasn't really stood the test of time.

Postby Roland

Hasn't stood the test of time? It was rubbish when it first went out, and it's still rubbish on Challenge.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Hasn't stood the test of time? It was rubbish when it first went out, and it's still rubbish on Challenge.

i watched it because in the 90s having Alex Higgins on TV was a rarity but Because hes Alex and the Problems having him around created i think he only appeared about 2 times but they had some no mark Qualifiers endless times Lee Richardson i seem to remember was a Regular.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Hasn't stood the test of time? It was rubbish when it first went out, and it's still rubbish on Challenge.

Maybe I was just easily pleased as a kid. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

What do you mean as a kid ?

just remind us when did you see John Virgo Live ? <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

What point are you trying to make? I was a kid when Big Break was on and enjoyed it. When I've seen it on Challenge I found it dated / crap.

What's it got to do with seeing Virgo live?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

What point are you trying to make? I was a kid when Big Break was on and enjoyed it. When I've seen it on Challenge I found it dated / crap.

What's it got to do with seeing Virgo live?

your easily pleased lol

must be if you going to legends nights <laugh>

Postby Cannonball

Jimmy Carr paired with Steve Davis, and plenty of guests like Judd/Ronnie/Robertson/Hendry/etc anyone?

Postby SnookerFan

Trumpster wrote:Jimmy Carr paired with Steve Davis, and plenty of guests like Judd/Ronnie/Robertson/Hendry/etc anyone?

Nah. You're alright.

Postby Muppet147

I preferred Pot the Question. It pre-dated Big Break by a few years. Same sort of thing as Big Break but without the pin end Jim Davidson.

Postby Witz78

get off the PC bandwagon you lot

Jim Davidson was fucken top notch back in the 90s between Big Break and the Generation Game and his stand up shows he still did.

Hes just another one of those the media like to knock now cos hes had his day and is classed as non PC, like Bernard Manning, Freddie Starr and others

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:get off the PC bandwagon you lot

Jim Davidson was fucken top notch back in the 90s between Big Break and the Generation Game and his stand up shows he still did.

Hes just another one of those the media like to knock now cos hes had his day and is classed as non PC, like Bernard Manning, Freddie Starr and others

so you thought jim davidson was funny ?

he had the comedy value of a cross between hernia and toothache

Postby Roland

I'm on no PC bandwagon. Jim Davison is only funny if your IQ is below 100

Postby SnookerFan

PC got nowt to do with it really. I hate this attitude that because somebody tells jokes that are about controversial subjects, they are automatically funny. Frankie Boyle is another comedian like that. I don't find his jokes particularly funny, but if you voice that opinion people assume it's because you can't take the subject matter of his jokes. It's not. I just don't find him funny. I think it's assumed sometimes that people are going to be so offended by his material, it doesn't matter whether it's witty or not. As long as a joke has been racist, sexist and threatened to murder some annoying celebrity, then you've done something worth watching.

Now Richard Pryor. There was a comedian who could be non-PC and funny at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnv3dN8u6I

Postby Cannonball

Yep, Davidson ain't funny, just as Lenny Henry ain't funny either. That sort of humour is just about as entertaining as cheese stick porcupines.

Now if Harry Hill did a snooker program with Steve Davis, whilst sending up Steve and the whole snooker game, would that work? He could even have his puppets playing shots and magically appearing out of pockets to stop pots. Any takers?

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:PC got nowt to do with it really. I hate this attitude that because somebody tells jokes that are about controversial subjects, they are automatically funny. Frankie Boyle is another comedian like that. I don't find his jokes particularly funny, but if you voice that opinion people assume it's because you can't take the subject matter of his jokes. It's not. I just don't find him funny. I think it's assumed sometimes that people are going to be so offended by his material, it doesn't matter whether it's witty or not. As long as a joke has been racist, sexist and threatened to murder some annoying celebrity, then you've done something worth watching.

Now Richard Pryor. There was a comedian who could be non-PC and funny at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnv3dN8u6I

coke-head <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Trumpster wrote:Yep, Davidson ain't funny, just as Lenny Henry ain't funny either. That sort of humour is just about as entertaining as cheese stick porcupines.

Now if Harry Hill did a snooker program with Steve Davis, whilst sending up Steve and the whole snooker game, would that work? He could even have his puppets playing shots and magically appearing out of pockets to stop pots. Any takers?

<doh>

You were closer to the mark with your Jimmy Carr idea.