Post a reply

Re: Ronnie's at it again

Postby Muppet147

Wild WC wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:In that tweet, Williams' command of English is on a par with Wild's.

but its still makes more sense than you ever have in your pathetic existence <ok>

Thanks for the compliment, you half-witted Welsh hammer. <ok>

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:That's a load off my mind.

But honestly there was no way he was gonna skip one of the BBC events.

He fooled me, I thought he'd skip the UK's to try to push Hearn. I am happy he is coming back! :happy:

Postby The Cueist

He was always coming back,He loves the game of snooker and hates it with equal measure when he is not doing justice to himself and his supreme snooker ability which we all love to see.

He is just a subliminal enigmatic player to watch.

There is no player like Ronnie,Trump is a pale imitation to Ronnie's awesome talent.

Trump is bland also when off the table,Ronnie is real and honest and highly dedicated to the game he loves.

Just noticed some pics of Ronnie and Jimmy White advertising some exhibition matches and couldnt help notice that Jimmy White looked very out of sorts and unhealthy.
I hope he is doing okay as Jimmy is an all time favourite of mine.

A better world championship runner up than some who won the title,Just wasnt to be and i felt the world championship was cruel to him,I mean he never ever under performed in a world final.

Never made excuses either or blamed the run of the ball.

A sound fella with a naughty streak that you have to admire,And like Ronnie very honest and fair.

Postby Wildey

Doesn't Matter if there's nobody like Ronnie.

its time we Move on hes 37 he cant go on forever Ronnie wont want to go on forever.

there's nobody today that compares to Alex Higgins he was just Electric other players will come and Go Snooker will remain.

Postby Roland

Luca is the next Ronnie and he's already arrived

Postby Monique

@wild Ronnie is 36, not 37 - not that it makes a huge difference - and about that tweet, he pretty well knows he's won the WC 4 times. That interview was done in 2008, as well as another one about losing weight and diet. A few days ago Ronnie had dinner with Pete and I asked Pete if they were planning another podcast. That's probably what triggered the "republishing" of that one.

@sonny Luca is not the "next Ronnie", or the the "next Hendry" or the next anyone. Luca is Luca. He has a huge potential and until he confirms it with titles it remains just that: a potential. As a person though he is closer to Shaun Murphy and Stephen Hendry than he is to Ronnie.

Postby Roland

What I meant by that is he's the next big crowd puller and we've got Judd as well in the mean time. I'm just backing Wild up, Ronnie is great but when he's gone there's plenty more to get excited about. Times move on.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:What I meant by that is he's the next big crowd puller and we've got Judd as well in the mean time. I'm just backing Wild up, Ronnie is great but when he's gone there's plenty more to get excited about. Times move on.

Nobody is there forever, true and it's life.
In general though I feel uneasy with tags like "X is the next Y". I think it's unfair on the tagged person. They should be appreciated for who they are and what they do, not as a substitute for someone else.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:What I meant by that is he's the next big crowd puller and we've got Judd as well in the mean time. I'm just backing Wild up, Ronnie is great but when he's gone there's plenty more to get excited about. Times move on.

If Ronnie Continues Great and the Revelry With Selby is Great BUT Life moves on People Better start getting used to Ronnie not being Around.

Theres shed Loads of Players that excite me in Snooker Today they Might not be Winners at the Moment But you got just below Trump

Mark Allen
Ding Junhui
Martin Gould
Jamie Jones
Michael White
Liang Wenbo
Jack Lisowski
Xiao Guodong
Liu Chuang
Cao Yupeng
Luca Brecel
Li Yan

im not Going down the Road of having a Favorite Again had it with Alex Higgins and Stephen Hendry its a head buck when things don't go according to Plan.

im a Snooker Man through and Through and nobody Bigger than Snooker, the Sport is in Good Hands we just Need more of the Younger players to Push on and join Ding and Judd at the top of the Tree and Start Relegating the 35+ players they had their Time.

Postby Monique

Life moves on and as I wrote nobody is there forever. However supporting a player is only a head-fuck if you are not able to accept that the player(s) you support are human persons and go through ups and down and ultimately decline. We all do … So supporting a player is not just about supporting them when they win.

I f I was to make a list as you did of young promising players I want to follow nowadays, here it is

Jamie Jones
Liang Wenbo
Li Yan
Yu Delu
Cao Yupeng
Jack Lisowski
Xia Guodong
Pankaj Advani
Aditya Mehta
Luca Brecel
Tepchaya Un-Nooh

I'm surprised at you having Martin Gould in there. He's not exactly "young" , he's nearly 31.
I'm not listing Ding or Judd, they are already established.

Postby Wildey

yea you right

but point is here and now hes a exciting player to watch (hopefully he can push on from UK PTC 2) and he will be playing in everything.

Postby Skullman

It's not enough to have exciting players. Some rivalries would be good.

Like with Ronnie v Selby, the tension and emotion of the match is amplified because you know they have history and don't like each other. Who do we have as rivals now? Closest thing at the moment is Judd and Robbo, and maybe Judd and Carter, if their next match is full drama and needle like their match at the Crucible was.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:It's not enough to have exciting players. Some rivalries would be good.

Like with Ronnie v Selby, the tension and emotion of the match is amplified because you know they have history and don't like each other. Who do we have as rivals now? Closest thing at the moment is Judd and Robbo, and maybe Judd and Carter, if their next match is full drama and needle like their match at the Crucible was.

Mark Allen vs Anyone from China

Judd Trump vs Slow slow slow Ebdon

Robbo vs Selby is a Rivalry in the Making

Postby Skullman

Wild WC wrote:
Skullman wrote:It's not enough to have exciting players. Some rivalries would be good.

Mark Allen vs Anyone from China

Judd Trump vs Slow slow slow Ebdon

Robbo vs Selby is a Rivalry in the Making

<laugh> for the first. Forgot about the second one, Ebdon seemed pretty annoyed and aimed some veil criticism at Judd after that didn't he. Now that I think about it, Maguire didn't sound too complentary of Judd after their matches either :chin: . Robbo vs Selby can't really be a rivalry as they've never played each other outside of group format events and there isn't any real dislike between them.

So basically whoever Judd vs whichever top player he's snake hissed off recently. Although Allen v Ding would be pretty funny.

"Ding cheated! He put a dead cat on the table!"

"Didn't. bucking."

Postby Wildey

But i do agree the No 1 Rivalry in Snooker Today is Ronnie v Selby

all that's been Written about Selby this weekend Proves it some People have Even brought up Ronnie's Name saying stupid things like "Ronnie is a Better Player" Why should that matter to anyone Reason The Rivalry that's Simmering away.

Postby Roland

I don't think there's any question that those commenting bad things about Selby every time he wins a tournament are staunch O'Sullivan fans. I would go as far as to say 100% of them are.

Postby Roland

Didn't you see his match with Higgins at the Crucible? That and the Marcus Campbell qualifier were both nail biters and the reason for that was Liang.

Postby Smart

Smart wrote:people on here listing Liang as exciting, jesus christ my eyes must be screwed on wrong. Frustrating tick, infurating tick, table stalking tick, non-fluent tick. No way is he exciting, no chance. <ok>

plays the wrong shots ahelluvalot tick <ok>

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I don't think there's any question that those commenting bad things about Selby every time he wins a tournament are staunch O'Sullivan fans. I would go as far as to say 100% of them are.

selby needs to prove himself constantly

he plays exactly the same game as John Higgins and Steve Davis you don't see them being critisised.

when John refuses a 50/50 pot its because hes a great tactician when Selby does its negative

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:I don't think there's any question that those commenting bad things about Selby every time he wins a tournament are staunch O'Sullivan fans. I would go as far as to say 100% of them are.

And I think you're wrong on that - the 100% I mean. Snookerbacker doesn't come across to me as a ROS fan, far from it, and he doesn't like Selby's style of play. Dott is a player, someone you like BTW, and he isn't close neither to ROS nor to Selby, but go back to the interview he gave you: he branded Selby "the most negative of them all". Why can't you accept that Selby is not everyone's cup of tea and that he IS negative at times, especially in important matches. Even him admitted to it on his blog: he tends to play not to lose rather than to play to win when put under pressure and he knows he has to change that if he wants to built a record to match his talent.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:

And I think you're wrong on that - the 100% I mean. Snookerbacker doesn't come across to me as a ROS fan, far from it, and he doesn't like Selby's style of play. Dott is a player, someone you like BTW, and he isn't close neither to ROS nor to Selby, but go back to the interview he gave you: he branded Selby "the most negative of them all". Why can't you accept that Selby is not everyone's cup of tea and that he IS negative at times, especially in important matches. Even him admitted to it on his blog: he tends to play not to lose rather than to play to win when put under pressure and he knows he has to change that if he wants to built a record to match his talent.

monique with respect Selby doesn't even come close to the most negative in the top 16

Have you looked at the List of players that has beaten him in Finals

John Higgins
Mark Williams
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Ding Junhui
Judd Trump

Had he beaten all of thoes Matches he would Be

World Champion
6 Ranking Event wins in total and 3 Masters

People are disrespecting the players that has Beaten Him in Finals but your Talking about Current World Champion and the other 4 in the top 10 of the Rankings currently. Hes not Losing to any tom sausage and Harry.

in Winning 2 Ranking Events hes Beaten

Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Williams in Finals in Contrast to Ali Carters Victories Against Jamie Burnett and Joe Swail playing in their First Finals.

Postby Monique

Wild if you care to read my post I wrote "at times". Also I did not say that Selby is the most negative player, but Dott did. I was answering to Roland who claims that it's only the ROS fans saying that Selby is negative. Well I don't know if Dott is a ROS fan but somehow I doubt it. Selby is seen as negative, or occasionally negative, by quite a few fellow players and a lot of snooker fans, not just by ROS fans.
There is no question to Selby's talent and dedication. My own opinion is that if he played a more positive game, didn't exhaust himself in endless battles for any number of snookers at times, didn't bog himself down by slowing down to the point he loses his own rhythm, he would win more. A lot more actually because he's more than good enough.

Postby Alpha

I've never really understood those people calling Selby negative, especially when he's broken the centuries in a season record for the last two years.
Selby is a great all round player, people only have a go because his overall record is not all that impressive, especially compared to his talent.
Selby only really resorts to bogging opponents down when he' s playing badly, like Ebdon. Trump and O'Sullivan only give the pyschological advantage away when they open their mouths about Selby and Ebdon's play.
The one criticism I have of Selby is he wastes too much time chasing lost causes i.e chasing Hawkins for 10 (?) snookers at the Crucible. He would expend less mental energy if he would just get on with the next frame.

Postby Wildey

delete
Last edited by Wildey on 28 Aug 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

That what happens when you do too much at same time <doh>

Postby JIMO96

I'm not an O'Sullivan fan, but I also can't stand Selby....a player who, despite having the ability to crush opponents with sheer scoring power, resorts too often to his despairingly negative "B" game.

I'm sorry, I have to switch off when he's in that kind of mood; I remember him winning the Masters by taking advantage of O'Sullivans fragile bottle: i.e by slowing the pace down to funereal. He had tried the same against Higgins in the 2007 World Final and failed, yet recorded a dubious "record" of a whitewash session against Higgins....those 6 (yes, only 6!) frames were interminable. When he plays like this, he pushes the boundaries of fair play and is no less guilty than Ebdon, McLeod etc.

I can understand why he polarises opinion; he can win frames with a fluent century full of spectacular pots....just as often as he emerges victorious from a 50+minute messy frame, after his opponent has lost the will to live.

Regardless of his tactics at the table, the rankings don't lie (at the top end anyway), and no argument can shift him from that position until someone hits a purple patch and unseats him.

Just to clarify: my least favourite player: O'Sullivan
My second least favourite player: Selby