Post a reply

SWSA no longer to stage pro ranking events after this season

Postby PLtheRef

Following statement taken from the SWSA website.

When we opened the South West Snooker Academy, just over two years ago, we had ambitions to work with as many organisations as possible to help develop the sport of snooker at all levels

One of our aims was to provide promoters and external organisations the opportunity to host events within a purpose-built facility, finished and equipped to the highest possible standards, ensuring high quality and enjoyable tournaments. We are convinced, by the majority of the feedback that we have received, that we have achieved this goal and now it is important we make the right decisions to ensure the SWSA is used appropriately to achieve the maximum benefits for snooker.

It has become apparent that for some events this season our facilities are not being utilised to their full potential and we are no longer prepared to host mediocre tournaments, due to decisions made by external promoters, when the possibility of top class tournaments is achievable.

We pride ourselves on working in a professional manner and believe that integrity, trust and honesty are vital to any working relationship. Over the past couple of years, we have found ourselves in positions where our trust has been broken, at times resulting in the complete breakdown of relationships. When this has occurred, we have had no option but to end those relationships to ensure we are only working with people and organisations that we have 100% faith in.

Bearing all of this in mind, we are today announcing that we no longer wish to hold professional ranking tournaments at the South West Snooker Academy, but will now concentrate on developing grass roots snooker, holding high quality amateur events and providing coaching to students from within and outside the UK. We will honour our current contract with World Snooker and host the remaining PTC events for this season as contracted. PTC4 will therefore be our last professional tournament.

It is with disappointment that we feel the need to make this decision as we have always made it known that we wanted to work with as many people and organisations as possible to help grow the sport for the good of it's long term future. We have always worked hard to assist where possible, with the greatest of intentions, however we feel that we have not always been afforded the same level of respect and courtesy and we are no longer prepared to accept the way in which we are and have been treated.

We will now return our attentions to grass roots snooker and ways in which we can help develop the sport and participation levels amongst young players both in the UK and internationally. We are looking forward to working more closely with nations that we have already built a strong bond with and making bonds with new countries too. We are looking to work with people and organisations who represent and strive for the same level of excellence as we do at the South West Snooker Academy.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who has supported us during our professional events over the past couple of years including the players, officials, media guests, bloggers, academy staff and everyone who has come to watch our events. We are sorry to those who may be disappointed by this decision

Re: SWSA no longer to stage pro ranking events after this se

Postby Uaintseenmeright

Wow, if this isnt a wind up Its a bolt from the Blue!! You know what, its about time someone stood up to those ignorant arrogant pr1cks at World Snooker, which lets face it, is Barry Hearn & Co.

I've been to the SWSA a few times, and Paul, Janie and the crew know how to run Snooker - they should be in charge of the whole damn thing anyway. Word has it World Snooker pulled the plug on a 'Pink Ribbon' CHARITY live feed earlier in the year because of some nonsense with Player Contracts. They (thats Hearn and Co) couldnt give a sh1t about snooker, grass roots or anything else. All they care about is extracting as much cash out of it as possible.

Why on earth those idiot players ever voted to give Hearn control, god alone knows but they did and now you have arrogance personified. They sh1t on anyone and everyone. If this isnt a wind up SWSA and you have done this then well done. If it is a wind up and you havent - well you should !! - and Ive had my say either way.

Signed; someone who knows

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:World Snooker's loss. Personally I'm gutted so will be making the most of PTCs 3 and 4 when I'm down there.

Obviously "sour grapes" is a wind up comment.

Not sure about that. Witz was on twitter yesterday branding Paul Mount a "drama queen".
Wild as usual was throwing the book at the players and the "idiots" from WSA but, of course, BH is God.
Very curious about what happened.

Postby Uaintseenmeright

Monique, I know whats happened. Anyone who knows the SWSA knows whats happened.

Its all about a World Governing body that is now controlled and run by a man that quite frankly couldnt care less about snooker or certainly the grass roots of it. All he cares about, and the minions he controls, (like Jason Ferguson) is making as much money out of the game as possible.

Their (thats WPBSA/WS) attitude is disgustingly arrogant. They are rude, un responsive, they steal other peoples ideas and sell them as their own, they expect everything for free from many people yet pay themselves massive salaries and this is all back up by a band of equally arrogant, twittering snooker pro's that quite frankly know which side their bread is buttered and do what they are told, when they are told.

Those same players were the ones that voted to give Hearn snooker, the likes of Steve Davis, a close personal friend of Hearn. Anyway, its about time someone had the guts and quite frankly the mussle to challenge Hearn and his mates and the SWSA has the backing that such a challenge required.

If you havent been there, then go and you will see why REAL SNOOKER FANS think its one of the World best venues - even though Janie Watkins is a little gobby and slightly mad (love u really Janie <cool> )

I wish I personally could give Hearn, Ferguson and all the rest of them a bloody nose for the way they treated me but Im nobody - the SWSA has the respect and the clout to do it, they have done it and maximum respect to them for doing it.

Postby gallantrabbit

If this isn't sorted out the I can see the end of the PTCs in Britain. You can't keep taking them to a venue like Sheffield where no-one wants to play and you have to have some space for a gallery.
Shame there hasn't been a bit more sit down time here as the place was the best option by a mile.
However to just start saying that BH should never have been control is poppycock.

Postby Uaintseenmeright

gallantrabbit wrote:If this isn't sorted out the I can see the end of the PTCs in Britain. You can't keep taking them to a venue like Sheffield where no-one wants to play and you have to have some space for a gallery.
Shame there hasn't been a bit more sit down time here as the place was the best option by a mile.
However to just start saying that BH should never have been control is poppycock.

Its not 'poppycock' at all. Im not saying that Hearn hasnt done some good - he has, more events for starters, but its all gone way OTT. For example, Hearn said that he wanted to open snooker up to the masses, give everyone a go, loads of events, Q School bla bla bla , but when you look at it and analyse whats ACTUALLY going on you begin to see the big picture.

Take the PTC's £10K to the winner. All the players but one will NOT be the winner. You need to attend these events as we all know or you lose ranking points. OK for the elete few that actually can afford to blow £100's in the UK and £1000's abroad on travel / hotels etc but whatt about the people that Hearn claimed he was opening it up to? They cant afford it can they, so just like Sam Cragie and many new Pro's like him they drop off the tour. Not because they are not good enough but because they cant afford it!!

So, ironically you create a closed shop where the T32 / T16 are now safer than they ever were, secure in the knowledge that very few people can afford to challenge them!

As for Q School - thats just about getting Daddy to buy Tarquin a £1K ticket to maybe have a few frames of snooker with Steve Davis (other players are available), just like the WPBSA coaching scheme is a scam designed to line the pockets of Steve Davis, Terry Griffths and Barry Hearn. What was it Davis said during one his many rants on one such course, ah yes,,' quality doesnt matter, we just want as many coaches as possible'

So, its all designed to raise cash. The grass roots game is being totally starved. Just ask NGB's like the EASB who are on their knees now World Snooker has removed Tour places from them. Hearn could not give a sh1t about anyone or anything but how much cash he can extract out of the game and its that simple. Ferguson and the rest of them are just 'YES' men and nothing more.

Thats the truth and reality here and its about time it was discussed and people stopped talking about Hearn like he is some kind of saviour. Lottery winner yes, saviour, no blerdy way!

Postby Sickpotter

The inability to afford playing events is nothing new and affects all professional sports.

This is not Barry fault nor is it his problem.

I'm not going to suggest BH has done it all perfectly, many events have not been properly run. BUT.....this is bound to happen when you go full tilt into an area without sufficient prep work or vetting of venues. IMO the issues encountered will be worked out over the next couple of years so I'm not too upset with BH's work thus far. He's done what he said he'd do, provide lots of opportunity to play which is what the pros wanted.

If you can't afford it then do what others do to raise funds (work a regular job, find a sponsor/stable). Talent in a sport is no guarantee you'll become pro because there are ALWAYS financial considerations. Similar to education, you could be very intelligent and perfect doctor/engineer/lawyer material but if you can't afford it you're left to scholarships/loans to pursue your dream. Sometimes it doesn't happen but that's life.

IMO they should create a separate tour to help the amateurs gain the skills and exposure needed to be able to compete with the best. Skills to handle the players, exposure to generate the entry fees/travel costs associated with being a professional.

Perhaps this is where the SWSA should find their niche....run amateur events to help fund forays into the professional circuit.

IMO what would be a huge draw would be to have a series of events like PTCs solely for amateurs. The prize on end would depend on participation but optimally would involve a trip (if not several) for some lucky/skilled amateur(s) to the pro circuit with all expenses covered for a year.

There is virtually no prize money for any CPSBA snooker events run here, events are all about ranking points. Virtually all the entry fees go directly to funding the winner of the Canadian Championships trip to the World Amateurs. The players involved are willing to see a negative return on their investment to provide one good amateur with the opportunity to make it.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:World Snooker's loss. Personally I'm gutted so will be making the most of PTCs 3 and 4 when I'm down there.

Obviously "sour grapes" is a wind up comment.

Not sure about that. Witz was on twitter yesterday branding Paul Mount a "drama queen".
Wild as usual was throwing the book at the players and the "idiots" from WSA but, of course, BH is God.
Very curious about what happened.

monique you cant blame Barry Hearn for everything hes the Managing Director of countless Sports he hasent the time to wipe the baboons shiny behinds of idiots running snooker on a Daily Basis.

Players as Has officials has to take responsibility for being pin ends which they bucking are so please take your bucking face from your bucking bottom and see it for what it is.

Jesus buck im surrounded by bucking idiots on here.

Postby Wildey

Uaintseenmeright wrote:Monique, I know whats happened. Anyone who knows the SWSA knows whats happened.

Its all about a World Governing body that is now controlled and run by a man that quite frankly couldnt care less about snooker or certainly the grass roots of it. All he cares about, and the minions he controls, (like Jason Ferguson) is making as much money out of the game as possible.

Their (thats WPBSA/WS) attitude is disgustingly arrogant. They are rude, un responsive, they steal other peoples ideas and sell them as their own, they expect everything for free from many people yet pay themselves massive salaries and this is all back up by a band of equally arrogant, twittering snooker pro's that quite frankly know which side their bread is buttered and do what they are told, when they are told.

Those same players were the ones that voted to give Hearn snooker, the likes of Steve Davis, a close personal friend of Hearn. Anyway, its about time someone had the guts and quite frankly the mussle to challenge Hearn and his mates and the SWSA has the backing that such a challenge required.

If you havent been there, then go and you will see why REAL SNOOKER FANS think its one of the World best venues - even though Janie Watkins is a little gobby and slightly mad (love u really Janie <cool> )

I wish I personally could give Hearn, Ferguson and all the rest of them a bloody nose for the way they treated me but Im nobody - the SWSA has the respect and the clout to do it, they have done it and maximum respect to them for doing it.

Dont talk through your bucking bottom.

Yet another Idiot on Board.

The Massive salaries are what bucking Rod know rubbish buck was taking and giving nothing Back so don't give me that marmite who ever the buck you are and no wander WSA Treated you badly you deserved it.

Snooker Today is in a beter Shape thank to Barry Hearn BUT there's still old pin ends from previous regimes still involved with Admin coupled that with Moaning bankers that are Players and that Les bucking Barton talking bucking rubbish no wander Paul Mount had a Gutfull.

People who blame barry for everything that's wrong hastent a bucking clue in hell what they talking about.

Postby Roland

Wild calm it, there's a good debate going on here. Let people have their say ffs.

uaintseenme - welcome to the forum. You can switch off the swear filter in your user control panel so please can you type the full word in rather than something which bypasses the filter. Cheers.

BH has done a lot of good for the game but he's not god and not beyond criticism. Paul Mount is a man of integrity and if he has a gripe then it will be with very good reason.
Right, carry on.

Postby Wildey

BUT Barry Hearn is not the only Guy in charge of Running the Sport he is the Front Man but for any Business there's others Running Different Areas But some seem to Think Barry hearn does everything from Negotiating Deals to Cleaning Toilets.

it doesn't Work like that
yes hes Cocked up with some things and id be the first to call him a sausage if i honestly thought it.

But he has other Sports in his portfolio and does not Hold the Hand of Snooker People every Hour of every Day they should start taking a look in the Mirror and Take responsability.

Barry Hearn has changed the Face of Darts and they have let him do that without moaning and Groaning

Problem with Snooker is Barry Hearn is new but the others Still there since Rod the Plod days and Just as useless.

Only mistake Barrys done Letting a lot of them Carry on Working there.

Postby Monique

Wild, Barry can't do or control everything but he's the boss and he's the one with decision powers, and you can be sure he uses those powers. He bought the game precisely for that purpose, so that no one could go against him and start challenging his decisions. So it amuses me (mildly) that every "good" decision is his, in your eyes, and every cock-up or abusive decision is someone else fault.
Barry Hearn is human, as everyone, and not every decision he takes is good or right. Nobody does the right choices all the time, nobody knows it all better than everyone else, not him neither. He's very dynamic and very hard working, which is good, but he's also very arrogant and seems to believe he's "the man" and everyone not seeing thing with the same eye as him is stupid and has to be forced into submission, which isn't right or good. There is no such thing as the "single version of the truth". Life isn't black and white.

I don't know the facts here, or the reasons for the fall-out. Neither do you. So until we know you should refrain from judgements and stop putting the blame on the WSA staff or the players before you know the facts.

Postby Wildey

NO Monique

He Runs the Promotional side of the Game then when Deals are Struck up he Hands it over to others within the organization to Run it.

That how it works in Business

Do you honestly think the Overall Boss of MacDonalds or Big Supermarket Chains Knows every detail that Happens in his Business ?

of course they don't.

Postby Wildey

and BTW im not saying there's not Blame for somethings firmly in Barrys Hands but Don't Presume it just because hes In Charge.

and Regarding this Issue it seems to me the Problem Lies at the Door of Les Barton and Some of the Players Following criticism during PTC 1.

a Deal was Struck by World Snooker and Paul Mount in which case at the Time Less than a year ago Paul was Happy with Then Some players started Criticizing the Venue etc etc.

to Quote Dave Hendon in Commentary Yesterday "some of these players don't know they born having a venue like this to play in"

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:NO Monique

He Runs the Promotional side of the Game then when Deals are Struck up he Hands it over to others within the organization to Run it.

That how it works in Business

Do you honestly think the Overall Boss of MacDonalds or Big Supermarket Chains Knows every detail that Happens in his Business ?

of course they don't.

They don't need to know every detail but I doubt that this is about details and BH is the one in charge of the commercial leg of snooker. And at the end of the day, yes, they are responsible. That's why they are paid the amounts they get, to take the responsibilities. When there is a major problem in politics, the minister in charge can't possibly deal with every detail but will still be asked to leave his position in case of a scandal. That's how it works.
And WSA/WS isn't as big as Mac Donald or a Big Supermarket Chain. Far from it.

But that was not my point. My point was and is that once again you voice judgements, and put the blame on some people without knowing the facts. And then you get abusive with anyone not agreeing with your non-informed views.

Postby Wildey

Monique just what informed Opinion have you got ?

Sod bloody all but you are Ready to defend useless morons and at every opportunity but put the Boot in to Barry Hearn without any SAID FACTS.

ive forgotten more about this sport than you will ever Know

Postby PLtheRef

Monique wrote:Wild, Barry can't do or control everything but he's the boss and he's the one with decision powers, and you can be sure he uses those powers. He bought the game precisely for that purpose, so that no one could go against him and start challenging his decisions. So it amuses me (mildly) that every "good" decision is his, in your eyes, and every cock-up or abusive decision is someone else fault.
Barry Hearn is human, as everyone, and not every decision he takes is good or right. Nobody does the right choices all the time, nobody knows it all better than everyone else, not him neither. He's very dynamic and very hard working, which is good, but he's also very arrogant and seems to believe he's "the man" and everyone not seeing thing with the same eye as him is stupid and has to be forced into submission, which isn't right or good. There is no such thing as the "single version of the truth". Life isn't black and white.

I don't know the facts here, or the reasons for the fall-out. Neither do you. So until we know you should refrain from judgements and stop putting the blame on the WSA staff or the players before you know the facts.

I can get what you are saying about BH running things but if he is taking each decision and exercising each decision then what need is there for JF'?

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
Monique wrote:Wild, Barry can't do or control everything but he's the boss and he's the one with decision powers, and you can be sure he uses those powers. He bought the game precisely for that purpose, so that no one could go against him and start challenging his decisions. So it amuses me (mildly) that every "good" decision is his, in your eyes, and every cock-up or abusive decision is someone else fault.

I can get what you are saying about BH running things but if he is taking each decision and exercising each decision then what need is there for JF'?

what need is there for anyone mate

seriously this is now being run as a business not a members club most think it still being run as....its delegation time in snooker and people just cant get their heads round that.

its time to get real here everyone has responsibility and not blame the head when things goes tits up.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:Monique just what informed Opinion have you got ?

Sod bloody all but you are Ready to defend useless morons and at every opportunity but the Boot in to Barry Hearn without any SAID FACTS.

I have not expressed an opinion on who's responsibility it is precisely because I don't know, ok? I did not say it's Barry Hearn's fault. The only opinion I have expressed is that it is a shame from a fan's point of view because the venue is excellent and there is place for spectators. I also stated that I have always been treated well there, which is true. That's a statement about my own experience.

What I said though - and this is not specifically related to this incident - is that YOU always blame the players, or WSA staff, or the UK administration or … for every single "problem" that annoys you, even very minor things, and that without knowing the facts.

Postby Uaintseenmeright

Firstly 'Wild WC' its abit rich you calling anyone an idiot having looked at posts youve written here and others as well.

Its clear where your allegances lie and you wouldnt dare say anything other than what you know you need to say. I dont wish to enter into a slanging match with you, there seems no point, what I will say however is that your attitude is exactly the attitude that has caused the SWSA to make what must have been a very tough decision for them.

A shed load of money doesnt mean youre right, it doesnt mean you deserve respect and it doesnt mean everyone has to bow down and kiss your feet. It does however mean you have power and power scares many people into doing what you want them to do. Whether you like it or not, Barry Hearn is in this for what he can personally get and for NO other reason. Thats the way it is.

All the rubbish you talked about people having to find their own way and if they try hard enough , bla bla bla ... well sometimes people just need a helping hand, a break (pardon the pun) but it seems sometimes its not enough for the stinking rich to be stinking rich - the rest of the people must fail as well. Whats wrong with helping people out anyway?? Hearn himself was cut a series of breaks in the late 50's early 60's that allowed him the progress from cleaning cars to running his own business. When he needed it people helped him. They didnt put their foot on his head, so how about WS Ltd and the WPBSA stop raping the game for everything they can get and put some money where their PR mouths are and start supporting both the Amateur game and vitally important, the link between the Amateur and professional game that places like the SWSA are so very important for.

Of course hell will freeze over first and you know that as well as I do

Snooker is more of a closed shop now than it ever was. There is just a half decent PR machine in place which is I accept is sucessfully conning people into thinking its changing for the good.

Postby Wildey

Barry Hearn needs Snooker like a hole in the Head he could make Money elsewhere and without half the Hazzle and Childish behavior from the Current World Champion and some pre madonas.

One reason and one Reason only why Barry Hearn came back to Snooker he was Begged by Players because of the useless way the sport had been Run for Generations.

Who ever you are you have a Agenda of Barry Slagging and with all due respect without the Brains to Work out how things truly work.

Postby Uaintseenmeright

Wild WC wrote:Barry Hearn needs Snooker like a hole in the Head he could make Money elsewhere and without half the Hazzle and Childish behavior from the Current World Champion and some pre madonas.

One reason and one Reason only why Barry Hearn came back to Snooker he was Begged by Players because of the useless way the sport had been Run for Generations.

Who ever you are you have a Agenda of Barry Slagging and with all due respect without the Brains to Work out how things truly work.

My agenda is simple WC - I love the sport and have for many years. I just dont like arrogant pr1cks like you and unfortunately WS Ltd / WPBSA is full of people like you. As for knowing how things work , with respect I do, which is why its so easy to rubbish the nonsnese you seem to spout on here.

I grant you that Snooker had been run dreadfully - thats not a secret , but Barry Hearn isnt the answer. I say what I see WC and if you dont like that you have the option of not responding to me. Unfortunately, unlike the likes of Mark Allen, the option of fining me for speaking the truth isnt available.

The option you havent got by the way is to bully me like you seem to others on here. Doesnt work, never will work, so try it on someone else.

Postby Uaintseenmeright

How about Homer Simpson WC - Couldnt really do worse than the muppets that currently run snooker now could he?

If I had my way , Paul Mount would be in charge WC. There you have a real, genuine and decent man who loves the game, does whats right and has more integrity in his rubbish than WS have in their entire organisation.

So if Barry needs snooker like a 'hole in the head' as you claim, great tell him to FO , call another player meeting and this time vote in someone that DOES care about the game.

We both know however that BH is doing very very well out of the current arrangements thank you very much and you wouldnt be able to drag him away.

So how about you do what you are constantly telling others to do and stop talking total and utter borlacks - kitten ;-)

Oh and no, I dont work for or have any interest in the SWSA. Its just a great venue , run by great people that love the game and I respect them.