Post a reply

Playing with power

Postby Andy Spark

I am getting annoyed at missing easy balls I would never normally miss if I was just rolling them in when I try to force the angle. I just seem to be a lot more innacurate when I play with a lot of power. I wondered if it was just a matter of practice on this type of shot or if there were any specific points to think about when playing with power. :-)

Re: Playing with power

Postby Smart

Andy Spark wrote:I am getting annoyed at missing easy balls I would never normally miss if I was just rolling them in when I try to force the angle. I just seem to be a lot more innacurate when I play with a lot of power. I wondered if it was just a matter of practice on this type of shot or if there were any specific points to think about when playing with power. :-)

practice makes perfect, look at me, perfection :-D

Postby Roland

The coach will arrive soon with a proper answer Andy, I can't answer because I struggle with power shots too but I think one of the keys is to focus on keeping your head still as the instinct is to stand up with the effort when you try and deliver the cue as hard as you can. I guess Judd Trump would be the player to study seeing as how hard he hits the ball on a straight line. Rory McLeod is another with loads of power but he's built like the proverbial rubbish house.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:The coach will arrive soon with a proper answer Andy, I can't answer because I struggle with power shots too but I think one of the keys is to keep your head still as the instinct is to stand up with the effort when you try and deliver the cue as hard as you can. I guess Judd Trump would be the player to study seeing as how hard he hits the ball on a straight line.

I love using power, but I am also very delicate too, I guess what I am saying is I am something of an all-rounder.

Good luck Andy - by all means PM me if you need any extra tips or guidance. I am here to help all budding novices. :wave:

Postby Lucky

I find shouting 'KAPOWWWW' at the top of my voice, at the moment of impact helps immeasurably with power shots <ok>

Postby Smart

Lucky wrote:I find shouting 'KAPOWWWW' at the top of my voice, at the moment of impact helps immeasurably with power shots <ok>

yeah, I do this and I also shout "get in you little bastard" when I pot one from anything other than very close distance. I also like to belch at the moment of impact on a lot of shots, this is something that all classy potters do IMHPO. :hatoff:

Postby Roland

I'm off down the club now so I'll concentrate on what I do when I hit a good power shot and report back :santa:

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:I'm off down the club now so I'll concentrate on what I do when I hit a good power shot and report back :santa:

can you video yourself and upload it here, it might help us all............alternatively I could upload me doing a few power shots, hard stuns etc, but this would be in a few weeks time. :pal:

Postby Roland

No video but confirmation that the key is to keep the head still. Stay down on the shot until well after the hit.

Postby Witz78

my cue action is all over the place and i doubt, infact i know my body definetly doesnt stay still either but im the opposite

im far more accurate and confident playing power shots than slow touch deadweight shots etc

i just feel far more certain blasting them in to be honest

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:my cue action is all over the place and i doubt, infact i know my body definetly doesnt stay still either but im the opposite

im far more accurate and confident playing power shots than slow touch deadweight shots etc

i just feel far more certain blasting them in to be honest

:redneck:

Postby Andy Spark

Well, thank you for your advice. :-)

Postby Lucky

Andy Spark wrote:Well, thank you for your advice. :-)

No problem son, let us know how you get on <ok>

Postby Sickpotter

Hi Andy,

I would recommend you take note of your movement on the shot. The more power you try to apply the more likely you'll get movement in your stroke (head/body) that will skew the cue delivery and make you miss your pot.

Keep in mind that the power shot proves troublesome for the best of the best and they tend to avoid it if possible. If you watch the greats they hit virtually all shots at the same pace and it's neither hard nor soft but firm.

A firm stroke helps you keep your cue on line and reduces the effects of table conditions. Certainly slow rolling the ball can allow slightly off pots to drop but they are more prone to roll off line and are more likely to be left on if missed. Kicks also tend affect slow roll shots worse than those struck firmly.

General rule of thumb.....the harder you hit the more difficult to control the cue action. Focus on staying still is all I can suggest at the moment but please send some video examples for further analysis.

Good luck,
Rob

Postby Andy Spark

Thank you Rob. :-)