Post a reply

PTC IN CHINA (Whats The Point ?)

Postby Wildey

This Tweet from Ants McGill Got me Thinking

Anthony McGill ‏@antsmcgill

PTC's in China. Snooker's already big there from what I hear. 5 Ranking events there, surely those PTC's would be better elsewhere????

and hes Got a VERY Good Point Suerly PTC Would be better served in Brazil,India or Australia Taking Snooker to new destinations and markets Similar to the European ones rather than flogging snow to Eskimo type scenario.

Re: PTC IN CHINA (Whats The Point ?)

Postby Monique

The point is that China has a huge base of amateurs, very good ones, who can't afford to enter the European or UK PTCs. This is their chance to play the pros and possibly gain experience and why not a main tour spot. I don't think that Australia and Brazil have anything even remotely close to such a strong amateur base. India might, though.
It's also clearly a market where there is money and a readiness to spend it on snooker. Hearn will know this and be eager to please the local snooker authorities and potential sponsors.
Have you had a close look at the rules? The winners of those 3 events will get an automatic qualification for the PTC Grand final, without any further conditions. I fully expect players, like Ding, who don't enjoy playing in the PTCs to try and win one and then just give the whole UK/European PTC a miss.

Postby Wildey

BUT

although i agree with giving asians chances that was not the reason PTC Was set up it was more of a test the water series with option of maybee turning them in to full rankers plus giving pros Work.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:BUT

although i agree with giving asians chances that was not the reason PTC Was set up it was more of a test the water series with option of maybee turning them in to full rankers plus giving pros Work.

I'm not sure that was it. It is a multipurpose setup, one of the design goal was also to give amateurs a crack at the pros under real competition conditions. And there was no need to "test the water" in Europe. The Eurosport audience levels were telling enough about the interest of the European fans for snooker. The sponsoring money isn't really there but it's more a cultural thing than anything else. Look at who is sponsoring the snooker in UK. Mainly the betting companies. I've said it already, betting is not really part of the mainland European culture, nowhere near what it is in UK certainly. If snooker wants to find sponsors in Europe it has to target a different companies profile and go for a different commercial approach.
In China for instance, both Ronnie and Judd are the faces on a fashion clothes brand (K-Boxing). (Mark Selby also I think, but I'm not sure), and Ronnie famously had a contract with Vasto (watches). If snooker wants sponsoring in Europe it should target similar things and, believe me, selling it cheap is not the way to go. It's all about prestige.

BTW if the goal of the PTCs is to develop the game in Europe, one has to explain to me why 2 out of 6 of the EPTCs (Poland and one in Germany) have their pre-qualifying rounds played in UK. Hardly the good way to encourage local amateurs to enter.

Postby Wildey

kenneth79 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:APTC 1 Acording to this http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/ ... px?t=12981 only 5 Top 16 players and 27 Professionals in Total have entered with 9 Mainland Chinese players plus Marco Fu

Anybody seen any info on this event? The info isnt even thin on the ground, its non-existent. WS really wants to keep you updated dont they? :gag:

it starts on Monday acording to calender but with so little pros it might be on Tuesday or even Wednesday when it starts and no draw or structure.

really if these events are put on for Asian Amateurs but unfortunately sodding Amateurs are in charge of organization as well.

Postby Casey

How many amateurs have entered? I'm surprised some of the top names have entered giving it's in China with no Chinese event to follow.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:How many amateurs have entered? I'm surprised some of the top names have entered giving it's in China with no Chinese event to follow.

The Wuxi Classic starts 3 days later

Postby Casey

Wild WC wrote:
Casey wrote:How many amateurs have entered? I'm surprised some of the top names have entered giving it's in China with no Chinese event to follow.

The Wuxi Classic starts 3 days later

Humm, there you go then!

Postby Cheesyman99

So does the APTC's have a completely different ranking system to the normal PTC Order of Merit? Cos if that's true then they're not really worth anything for the pros, not surprised so few have entered

Postby Monique

Cheesyman99 wrote:So does the APTC's have a completely different ranking system to the normal PTC Order of Merit? Cos if that's true then they're not really worth anything for the pros, not surprised so few have entered

No value for the pros?

If I was a top 16 pro I would go and try to win one. That would guarantee an entry into the PTC Grand Final without needing to slog it out in at least 6 PTCs including 3 in Europe. And with a depleted field it should be easier. As they are "grouped" with a Chinese ranker the trip doesn't cost anything additional neither.

Postby roy142857

Monique wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:So does the APTC's have a completely different ranking system to the normal PTC Order of Merit? Cos if that's true then they're not really worth anything for the pros, not surprised so few have entered

No value for the pros?

If I was a top 16 pro I would go and try to win one. That would guarantee an entry into the PTC Grand Final without needing to slog it out in at least 6 PTCs including 3 in Europe. And with a depleted field it should be easier. As they are "grouped" with a Chinese ranker the trip doesn't cost anything additional neither.

With you there Monique.

Any idea whether the entry timing would allow qualifiers for Wuxi to enter once they'd qualified for that?

Postby Wildey

they have ranking points attached Basically what that means for Bingham is if he wins the first APTC he moves up from 17th to 14th and pushes Martin Gould who isn't there to 17th.

you look at the likes of Jamie Jones riding high in the top 32. without the PTC He wouldn't have made it this soon they are very important and in truth it will be sad when money rankings will make them more meaningless meaning the likes of Jamie will find it harder to climb the rankings that quickly in his second season on tour...

Postby JIMO96

The web page you listed Wild has been adding entries all morning.....81 and counting now, including old names like Da Hai Lin, a member of China's Nations Cup team in the early 2000's.

Postby Alpha

The Euro PTC's have enormous value- not necessarily for the pros but for the snooker fans in Europe starved of top quality live snooker. The sponsorship money isn't really there in Europe to support more than one full ranker so the 6 EPTC's are needed to show the punters and potential sponsors what quality snooker looks like.
This season China will host 5 full ranking events fully funded by themselves where they a;ready get to see the best in the world. I hope the APTC's are a success and they sound a great opportunity for Chinese amateurs, but I don't really see a need for them.

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:The Euro PTC's have enormous value- not necessarily for the pros but for the snooker fans in Europe starved of top quality live snooker. The sponsorship money isn't really there in Europe to support more than one full ranker so the 6 EPTC's are needed to show the punters and potential sponsors what quality snooker looks like.
This season China will host 5 full ranking events fully funded by themselves where they a;ready get to see the best in the world. I hope the APTC's are a success and they sound a great opportunity for Chinese amateurs, but I don't really see a need for them.

for the spreading of snooker they are pointless. my opinion is the chinese wanted some so Barry obliged making virtually 8 Ranking events in china alone.

Postby roy142857

Wild WC wrote:
Alpha wrote:The Euro PTC's have enormous value- not necessarily for the pros but for the snooker fans in Europe starved of top quality live snooker. The sponsorship money isn't really there in Europe to support more than one full ranker so the 6 EPTC's are needed to show the punters and potential sponsors what quality snooker looks like.

for the spreading of snooker they are pointless. my opinion is the chinese wanted some so Barry obliged making virtually 8 Ranking events in china alone.

For the spreading of the snooker audience, I'd agree. For helping Chinese amateur players 'get' the standard they need to be playing at, invaluable.

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

For the spreading of the snooker audience, I'd agree. For helping Chinese amateur players 'get' the standard they need to be playing at, invaluable.

ummm i dont think theres nothing wrong with how chinese players been coming along anyway.

there's so few pros playing in the first one that it will mean chinese am vs chinese am in so many matches with 81+ competing that means that they will be starting in what would be the last 128 if there was 128 playing lol

so it could easily have been a local event the amount of top players they will play to gain the experience.

Postby roy142857

Wild WC wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

ummm i dont think theres nothing wrong with how chinese players been coming along anyway.

there's so few pros playing in the first one that it will mean chinese am vs chinese am in so many matches with 81+ competing that means that they will be starting in what would be the last 128 if there was 128 playing lol

so it could easily have been a local event the amount of top players they will play to gain the experience.

Completely different set of players now listed on the link you had earlier, think they've changed it to listing for the current qualifying?

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Completely different set of players now listed on the link you had earlier, think they've changed it to listing for the current qualifying?

yes they got rid of the APTC Live Scoring to Wuxi Qualifiers :shrug:

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

yes they got rid of the APTC Live Scoring to Aussie Qualifiers :shrug:

Postby Cheesyman99

Michael Holt just made some interesting comments on Twitter which explains it all

There's been a massive balls up with trying to get visas. Qualifiers avent been able to get our invitation letters on time. There's a few players in the same boat. Couldn't risk entering early in case you didnt qualify cuz you'd get fined for not going. Then they changed it so that you could pull out with no fines. They also extended the entry date which did us really because I left it to the last day to enter which meant I couldn't get an invitation letter for my visa in time. So extending the date was a waste of time. Ironic thing is if they'd not extended the date we'd have entered earlier and got the invitation letter. Balls up from the start by all, lesson learnt, hopefully by ALL!!

Postby Wildey

Cheesyman99 wrote:Michael Holt just made some interesting comments on Twitter which explains it all

There's been a massive balls up with trying to get visas. Qualifiers avent been able to get our invitation letters on time. There's a few players in the same boat. Couldn't risk entering early in case you didnt qualify cuz you'd get fined for not going. Then they changed it so that you could pull out with no fines. They also extended the entry date which did us really because I left it to the last day to enter which meant I couldn't get an invitation letter for my visa in time. So extending the date was a waste of time. Ironic thing is if they'd not extended the date we'd have entered earlier and got the invitation letter. Balls up from the start by all, lesson learnt, hopefully by ALL!!

ive been banging on for years about the inadequate of World Snooker staff totally useless bunch of idiots.

sackings is inevitable cant organize a buck in a brothel.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:ive been banging on for years about the inadequate of World Snooker staff totally useless bunch of idiots.

Is that something you know a lot about? rofl

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:Michael Holt just made some interesting comments on Twitter which explains it all

ive been banging on for years about the inadequate of World Snooker staff totally useless bunch of idiots.

I wouldn't be so sure that this comes to the staff inadequacy . If I were you I would use my brain a bit more …

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure that this comes to the staff inadequacy . If I were you I would use my brain a bit more …

of course its bastard staff who the buck else is to blame id sack the bucking lot useless piece of bucking rubbish.

one cockerel up after another that's not professional way of doing things

and @ Snookerfan id do better id get the same spelling mistakes wrong as they do but id be better organized about stuff.