Post a reply

Mark Allen fined

Postby kenneth79

So the Mark Allen verdict is in. Link

So whats the opinion of people on here? Excessive, about right or lenient?
Personally I think he should have got the 3 month ban in addition without further breaches given the racist nature of his comments.

Re: Mark Allen fined

Postby Casey

It seems a bit harsh to me. Having to hand over £10k hard cash is a tough one to take.

However do we want the players censored? I guess now he will have to always keep his mouth shut, but I'm not sure if that's best for the game.

This was the PC correct verdict I guess.

Postby Roland

Got off lightly

Postby kenneth79

Sonny wrote:Got off lightly

:hatoff: Compared to MJW got 3k its a joke that Allen only got 10k and no suspension.

Postby Roland

The whole thing shouldn't have happened in the first place because Cao Yupeng didn't actually foul when Allen said he fouled. So he played a legal shot, and then got called a parakeet for it, and then Allen tarnished Cao's fellow countrymen with the same brush!

I mean he's not the sharpest tool in the box, but surely even he can see that he was a bloody idiot for those comments and it served him right when he went in off at the end of the match for #careless of the World Championship.

I actually like Mark Allen, think he's exciting to watch and he's always been friendly and chatty when I've seen him, but some things are inexcusable really when all is said and done. You've got his tweets during the tournament he eventually won criticising China and the people there, then the unfounded cheating comments at the Crucible.

But he's still young, he's still learning so I guess they gave him the benefit of the doubt. He is a good sport himself when he plays as everyone here knows and he sets a standard others can follow when actually playing, just not when he opens his mouth in public. There's a difference between rights of freedom of speech and coming across as ignorant and even racist when you've got those freedoms at your disposal.

Postby snooky147

Definitely should have faced a suspension for that. Thats the way its supposed to work, be found guilty then get punished. They have not done that with Jogia.

Postby Sickpotter

Casey give your head a shake, calling this a PC move and the penalty harsh leads one to believe you think Allen was right in what he said. <doh>

You should be :emb:

Censoring racist rants by can never be a bad move for the game, allowing players to spew racist drivel without serious penalty would be the death of snooker.

Allen is fortunate he hasn't had a ban, if anything he's gotten off lightly.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Got off lightly

yup it was bordering on full blown racism.

you really cant call a whole nation as having cheating tenancies then call it free speech and along with other misdemeanors over less than a year Mark got as light a punishment as is available.

Postby Muppet147

The three month suspended ban will come into effect the next time he opens his big mouth. Ten grand seems a bit harsh though.

Postby roy142857

Muppet147 wrote:The three month suspended ban will come into effect the next time he opens his big mouth. Ten grand seems a bit harsh though.

Would be tough on a player further down the rankings.

Given the size of his winnings in various tournaments, seems light to me.

If I was Chinese, not sure I'd want to see him given a visa ...

Postby randam05

There have been two cases of a chinese player so called 'cheating' but he should not have said it, he knew he would be told off for it.

Postby Casey

I think some of the punishment was done to appease the Chinese tbh.

What he said was wrong but I don't think it was racist - it's a PC crazy World we live in :-)

Postby kenneth79

Casey wrote:I think some of the punishment was done to appease the Chinese tbh.

What he said was wrong but I don't think it was racist - it's a PC crazy World we live in :-)

:gag: Are you really this stupid? Of course its racist. When you say that cheating is an inherent trait of an ethnic group, how is that not racist?

Postby randam05

kenneth79 wrote:

:gag: Are you really this stupid? Of course its racist. When you say that cheating is an inherent trait of an ethnic group, how is that not racist?

But its similar to saying most 'chavvs' burgle people. For me its borderline racist, and agree with casey, it is a PC crazy world we live in.

I think the fine and suspension are both a little heavy but he knew not to say it.

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

But its similar to saying most 'chavvs' burgle people. For me its borderline racist, and agree with casey, it is a PC crazy world we live in.

I think the fine and suspension are both a little heavy but he knew not to say it.

no surprise to see the forums resident anti-Chinese racist defending a fellow racist <doh>

Postby kenneth79

randam05 wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

:gag: Are you really this stupid? Of course its racist. When you say that parakeeting is an inherent trait of an ethnic group, how is that not racist?

Not comparable. Its the very definition of racism to label an individual as this, that or whatever just based on his race/ethnicity!

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

no surprise to see the forums resident anti-Chinese racist defending a fellow racist <doh>

Haha nothing against them, just not a fan of the majority of their styles, however I do enjoy watching Wenbo a lot, and quite like tian Pengfei!

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

Haha nothing against them, just not a fan of the majority of their styles, however I do enjoy watching Wenbo a lot, and quite like tian Pengfei!

what you just said there is racist <doh>

Postby Casey

kenneth79 wrote:

The Italians are prone to diving on a soccer pitch.

oopppsss, guess I should now be labelled a racist :emb:

Postby randam05

what you just said there is racist <doh>

How is it! the majority, is not saying all.

Am I not allowed to say I dont like the clothes that germans wear? Personal opinions and freedom of speech I thought.

Postby randam05

Casey wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

<laugh> :spot on: oops :emb:

Postby Sickpotter

randam05 wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

<doh>

Randam, for someone professing an interest in pursuing the sport as more than a hobby you need to smarten up.

It's not similar at all. You've used an example where you've put in the qualifier "some". Allen did not say "some Chinese" he lumped them all in there and so was not "borderline racist" but full blown racist.

This has nothing to do with being PC, it's pure racism and Allen was way out of line.

Postby Sickpotter

Casey wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

No, that's called a factual observation and Italians are not a race.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

i honestly expected him to receive a Ban from the International Open and Possibly the UK so in my opinion he got off very Lightly indeed it was the second offense against the Chinese which shows there is this anti chinese thing within him and then that on top of his UK Rant .

He Got Lucky.