Post a reply

Wuxi Classic Qualifying Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 5th~Friday 8th of June at The World Snooker Academy,Sheffield

The Wuxi Classic is in it 5th year Previously won by Ding Junhui,Mark Allen,Shaun Murphy and Last year Mark Selby but this year for the first time its a Ranking Event with the Best players in the World Battling it out in THE Wuxi City Sports Park Stadium, China But before that its Qualifying at the Academy in Sheffield Where New Tour players will be taking their Bow as Professionals along with Old Stagers like Rod Lawler who won Back his Place at Q School. But also this year it Gives opportunity for Q School Amateurs to try their hand at Ranking events if professionals don't enter.

there are 4 Places Available from the Q School Order of Merit who will they be ?

3 Players from outside the Top 32 Michael Holt,Ken Doherty and Fergal O'Brian will take their places as Top 32 Seeds

Who will Book their place in Wuxi ?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Wuxi Classic Qualifying Discussion !!!

Postby JIMO96

No place in the qualifying draw for Carter or Higginson, so I presume they're getting a top 16 seeding (at the expense of....presuming again, O'Sullivan & Higgins)

This also pushes Holt (33) and O'Brien (34) into the 17-32 bracket along with Doherty (35) gaining a place due to Hendry's retirement.

Into the 33-48 bracket come Dunn (49), McGill (50), Steve Davis (51) and McManus (52), the extra place coming from Jogias suspension.

And it's top 64 seedings for Poomjaeng (87), Li Yan (68), Suwannawat (77) and Bedford (89)....who all must have been drawn at random......I thought there was a seeding list in place for this and assumed that Drago, Highfield, Cao Yupeng and Li Yan would automatically be promoted to this bracket?

Mohamed Khairy & Floyd Ziegler haven't entered, there's no European Champ place in the draw, so with the 4* top 64 players, that means 7 of the 99 haven't entered, leaving 92 players which will be topped up to 96 with 4* Q School entrants.

Postby Witz78

IMO if a number of top 16 seeds pull out then they should just re-jig the draw so theres more qualifying places up for grabs, rather than just promoting players into top 16, 32 etc.

for this with Ronnie and Higgins missing id have let the other 14 top 16 guys go and then wed have 18 places up for grabs in qualifying instead of 16.

i havent fully looked down draw to see who else is missing ( i know Hendry and Jogia obviously) but assuming these were the only 2 players missing, then the draw could be done like this.

ROUND 1
71-86 v 87-99
*5 players get byes OR 5 more Q school guys get in to take the total players up to 104 in this event

ROUND 2
53-70 ranked v 18 round 1 winners

ROUND 3
35-52 ranked v 18 round 2 winners

ROUND 4
17-34 ranked v 18 round 3 winners

18 ROUND 4 WINNERS join the 14 top 16 guys who can be bothered playing the event. <ok>

Postby Wildey

JIMO96 wrote:No place in the qualifying draw for Carter or Higginson, so I presume they're getting a top 16 seeding (at the expense of....presuming again, O'Sullivan & Higgins)

This also pushes Holt (33) and O'Brien (34) into the 17-32 bracket along with Doherty (35) gaining a place due to Hendry's retirement.

Into the 33-48 bracket come Dunn (49), McGill (50), Steve Davis (51) and McManus (52), the extra place coming from Jogias suspension.

And it's top 64 seedings for Poomjaeng (87), Li Yan (68), Suwannawat (77) and Bedford (89)....who all must have been drawn at random......I thought there was a seeding list in place for this and assumed that Drago, Highfield, Cao Yupeng and Li Yan would automatically be promoted to this bracket?

Mohamed Khairy & Floyd Ziegler haven't entered, there's no European Champ place in the draw, so with the 4* top 64 players, that means 7 of the 99 haven't entered, leaving 92 players which will be topped up to 96 with 4* Q School entrants.

No its Simple Mate Top 64 Then PTC Order of Merit servivors so seeding wise its Top 64 then its
65 Li Yan
66 Passakorn Suwannawat
67 Simon Bedford
68 Dechawat Poomjaeng
69 Craig Steadman
70 Kurt Maflin
71 David Grace
72 Liam Highfield

Postby JIMO96

Duane Jones, Gareth Allen & Scott Donaldson are all involved in the Euros. Meaning Jordan Brown, Adrian Gunnell, Fraser Patrick and Ashley Wright will be the 4 invitees (I assume).

Yet again, after a WSA announcement, there have to be assumptions and many questions......

Like, will they ever produce this Q School Order of Merit? Will Q School "top up" players be eligible for ranking points?

Postby Wildey

JIMO96 wrote:Will Q School "top up" players be eligible for ranking points?

so many questions

Postby JIMO96

Wild WC wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:No place in the qualifying draw for Carter or Higginson, so I presume they're getting a top 16 seeding (at the expense of....presuming again, O'Sullivan & Higgins)

No its Simple Mate Top 64 Then PTC Order of Merit servivors so seeding wise its Top 64 then its
65 Li Yan
66 Passakorn Suwannawat
67 Simon Bedford
68 Dechawat Poomjaeng
69 Craig Steadman
70 Kurt Maflin
71 David Grace
72 Liam Highfield

Ah well spotted Wild! So the PTC OOM DOES count for something then!

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 5th of June

10am

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Robbie Williams
Aditya Mehta v Sam Baird
Pankaj Advani v Chen Zhe
Tony Drago v Sean O'Sullivan
Luca Brecel v Daniel Wells
Hossein Vafaei Ayouri v Q School 1

2.30pm

Thanawat Tirpongpaiboon v Ian Burns
Zhang Anda v Rod Lawler
Tian Pengfei v Q School 2
David Grace v Martin O'Donnell
Ben Judge v Q School 3

7pm

Michael Leslie v Paul Davison
Liam Highfield v Michael Wasley
Kurt Maflin v Jamie O'Neill
Craig Steadman v Q School 4
Cao Yupeng v Joel Walker

Postby Wildey

97 main tour players eligable for Wuxi

but only 92 playing in the wuxi classic with 4 from Q School

who is missing then ?

Higgins
O'Sullivan
and another 3 not counting Jogia or Hendry

Postby kenneth79

Wild WC wrote:97 main tour players eligable for Wuxi

but only 92 playing in the wuxi classic with 4 from Q School

who is missing then ?

Higgins
O'Sullivan
and another 3 not counting Jogia or Hendry

ziegler, khairy and to be decided euro champ

Postby Roland

I thought including Hendry there would be 100 players? The card from the Euro can't count in this instance.

Postby kenneth79

Sonny wrote:I thought including Hendry there would be 100 players? The card from the Euro can't count in this instance.

99 incl hendry and euro champ spot. See doc released by WS today.

Postby Witz78

you can just tell theres gonna be world snooker balls ups galore this season with them having to do player top ups to events etc

look at the cockerel up they made of the PTCs when they had to top them up

Postby kenneth79

Witz78 wrote:you can just tell theres gonna be world snooker balls ups galore this season with them having to do player top ups to events etc

What is it with WS? Are they undermanned or is it a requirement to be a moron to get work there?

Postby Witz78

kenneth79 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:you can just tell theres gonna be world snooker balls ups galore this season with them having to do player top ups to events etc

What is it with WS? Are they undermanned or is it a requirement to be a moron to get work there?

surprised they havent rang Wild yet to offer him a job as Public Relations officer :dizzy: or even a clerical job in the office proof reading and spell checking all their press releases :pal:

Postby Wildey

i thought there was 100 players including Hendry but aparantly the WS Computer cant calculate up to 100 so its stuck on 99

so that leaves 96 pros eligable for Wuxi with only 92 playing Higgins,Ronnie,Zeigler and Khairy missing meaning place for 4 Q School players

Postby kenneth79

Witz78 wrote:
kenneth79 wrote:

surprised they havent rang Wild yet to offer him a job as Public Relations officer :dizzy: or even a clerical job in the office proof reading and spell checking all their press releases :pal:

Wild would do better I think ;-)

A lot of dedicated fans could do better than WS though :fart:

One , they have to set out CLEAR rules prior to events and then follow them. Not make it up as they go along.

Postby gallantrabbit

Off topic I know chaps but has anyone heard if I'm getting any live snooker in Brazil this year or after last year's far flung efforts are we getting the heave ho??

Postby Wildey

The 4 Top up Amateurs are Fraser Patrick, Duane Jones, Adrian Gunnell and Michael Wild

Postby Alpha

Casey wrote:So are Higgins and Ronnie the only top 16 pull outs?

Do we know who has pulled out of Australia?

We don't know, and the WSA braintrust probably doesn't know either but I'd guess at Williams, Allen, Maguire, Ding, Carter and Dott in addition to Higgins and O'Sullivan

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:

We don't know, and the WSA braintrust probably doesn't know either but I'd guess at Williams, Allen, Maguire, Ding, Carter and Dott in addition to Higgins and O'Sullivan

Carter isnt Top 16 he might see Australia as easy ranking points and go.

Postby Monique

David Hendon said that "most" of the top 16 opted out. "Most", so there must be at least 9 of them unless he got his maths wrong.
I would say that the only certainties in Australia are Robertson (obviously), Bingham (defending champ), Walden and Gould (because their top 16 spot is under threat to an extend and because Gould told me he was going ;-) ) Other than that I wouldn't bet on anyone to be a cert , although the "good boys" Murphy and Selby are likely to go as well.

Postby Alpha

Wild WC wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Forgot Carter's down at 17, despite reaching the World final

Postby Wildey

Hossein Vafaei Ayouri v Q School 1=Adrian Gunnell
Tian Pengfei v Q School 2=Fraser Patrick ?
Ben Judge v Q School 3=Duane Jones ?
Craig Steadman v Q School 4=Michael Wild

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Forgot Carter's down at 17, despite reaching the World final

Carter earned Less Ranking points last season than the now Retired Stephen Hendry despite reaching the World Final and was 21st on the one year (Still waiting for Ranking Points coming off confirmation for the Projected Rankings at first cut off) whitch means he needs a Good season and Playing in Wuxi and Australia as Top 16 might benefit him.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:

David Hendon said that "most" of the top 16 opted out. "Most", so there must be at least 9 of them unless he got his maths wrong.
I would say that the only certainties in Australia are Robertson (obviously), Bingham (defending champ), Walden and Gould (because their top 16 spot is under threat to an extend and because Gould told me he was going ;-) ) Other than that I wouldn't bet on anyone to be a cert , although the "good boys" Murphy and Selby are likely to go as well.

Do you think Selby will be recovered in time? A trip to Oz with a bad neck - that would be painful.