Post a reply

Re: Snooker Television Coverage...

Postby snooky147

They need to clear out Taylor(to be sure, to be sure to be sure), Thorne(cantstoptotakeabreathwhilecommentating), Virgo(Absolutely inch perfect & Where's the cue ball going?????) and Doherty(Tats a great hunnerantirteen break). Why they hire a guy who cant speak is beyond me. I mean they would be better hiring the french captain out of ALLO ALLO. rofl

They are completely devoid of ideas. The Pub Quiz feature they ran was a complete disgrace to licence payers. Show some innovation. Take the shackles off Davis, Parrott and Hendry and Bring in Foulds and Dave Hendon and lets have some in depth discussion on the real topics in the game such as what the merits of money rankings are and what do the Players think?. The ups and down of the travel situation for the players. When a match is on, instead of the tired old Vault and Fourum have some pre recorded interviews, either voice or video with the players on the highs and lows of how they got to where they are and any little anecdotes that they experienced on the way. Interview friends and family about the struggle of players from junior through to amateur and pro, those who had the proverbial silver spoon and those who didn't. Anything except what they are doing now.

Postby JIMO96

SkySnooker HD Channel

Presented by a fit Sky Sports News bird (Hayley Mcqueen or Millie Clode or Vicky Gomersall or all 3), a dedicated new team of snooker pundits......Foulds, Everton, Griff.......Davis(possibly). With 50 weeks a year snooker, why shouldn't we dream that this can happen?

During tournaments we could have uninterrupted live coverage, with red button table choice; proper in studio analysis with not a Doherty cliche to be heard; Davis and Griffiths could be the technical experts with their own gadgetry, whilst Hayley talks about all things snooker and oozes glamour.

And when there's no tournament, how about classic re-runs? Snooker has a huge history of classic matches now, and the BBC never show any proper ones. The Hendry-White career rivalry feature spoke at length about the shot that changed the 1992 final, but never ACTUALLY SHOWED IT!! (The yellow(?) or green(?) at dead weight from under the middle pocket knuckle into the corner)

Come on Barry, get a proper broadcasting partner.

Postby SnookerFan

The BBC do need some good commentators to be fair... They are all pretty woeful, apart from Hendry and Foulds. Terry Griffiths has the knowledge, but it can be hard to understand a bastard word he says. rofl

Though, in the BBC's defence, I feel they need to walk a fine line with some of the analytical issues mentioned. The BBC seems to cater towards casual fans. This can be annoying to people that are more than casual fans, but that doesn't mean we should be bogging down broadcasts with endless statistics and expert lingo. Snooker is still a growing sport, and though in the past couple of years we've made significant progress there is still much to do, and I think the BBC is trying to attract casual fans and make snooker look fun in a time where it is still important to attract new fans. I agree that the Pub Quiz thing was pretty crap, but I feel that's what they were trying to do. Fun it up, as it were.

It's a pity they can't use BBC Interactive in the same way the F1 did when they were only on BBC1. You could press the Red Button for a F1 Forum. I think they've done that for Rugby too. Press the red button for extended analysis after games etc.

There needs to be more analytical expertise and less videos of Taylor playing golf. Or Taylor doing anything come to that. Without forgetting that some people will channel surf onto the BBC without knowing much about it and need to be drawn in.

Postby Casey

I like Thorne, I think he brings something to the table. The rest though :emb:

It was clear the BBC gave Virgo and Taylor more air time than the rest so I guess that shows their pecking order.

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:Hazel Irvine can go too and be replaced,hopefully, by someone attractive.

I don't mind Hazel. I think she does a decent job presenting and seems to know a decent amount about the sport. Which is more than can be said of Dennis Taylor.

Postby Roland

My mate's mum works in a betting shop and Willie Thorne tried to place a large bet and she had to ring through to head office to clear the bet. Do you know what he said next?

"Do you know who I am?"

rofl

cockerel

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:I like Thorne, I think he brings something to the table. The rest though :emb:

It was clear the BBC gave Virgo and Taylor more air time than the rest so I guess that shows their pecking order.

Indeed.

I forget which match it was, but during the fortnight that I was interested in at that point, rather than a marquee match that was on the other table. (I think the other table featured Judd or Ronnie or somebody like that.) The commentators were Terry Griffiths and Neal Foulds. I said to my friend, you can tell which match the BBC think is more important. <laugh>

It's pretty shocking that they get rid of Clive Everton but keep plebs like Virgo and Dennis Taylor. But I guess that is in part due to Everton being too outspoken for his own good.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:My mate's mum works in a betting shop and Willie Thorne tried to place a large bet and she had to ring through to head office to clear the bet. Do you know what he said next?

"Do you know who I am?"

rofl

cockerel

Nothing wrong with that

They should instantly know who one of their main customers is, Willie doesnt have time to bottom about waiting on incompetent members of staff when theres plenty more races coming up :gag:

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:My mate's mum works in a betting shop and Willie Thorne tried to place a large bet and she had to ring through to head office to clear the bet. Do you know what he said next?

"Do you know who I am?"

rofl

cockerel

It'd be funny if she hadn't.

Or even funnier if she'd gone; "Yes, that bald snooker hammer with a gambling problem."

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Jewell wrote:Hazel Irvine can go too and be replaced,hopefully, by someone attractive.

I don't mind Hazel. I think she does a decent job presenting and seems to know a decent amount about the sport. Which is more than can be said of Dennis Taylor.

As with anything there is always room for improvement. Yeah, she does a decent job but can you imagine how much better it would be if there was some glamourous babe presenting the show instead? It would certainly be in keeping with the Beeb's aim of catering to the casual viewers.

I didn't say they should dumb down completely, just that they were walking a fine line.

I mean, not that I'd moan too much if they sent Melinda Messenger out in a bikini, but they already have Virgo and Taylor, do they need another pair of tits that know nothing about snooker?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Jewell wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

As with anything there is always room for improvement. Yeah, she does a decent job but can you imagine how much better it would be if there was some glamourous babe presenting the show instead? It would certainly be in keeping with the Beeb's aim of catering to the casual viewers.

I didn't say they should dumb down completely, just that they were walking a fine line.

I mean, not that I'd moan too much if they sent Melinda Messenger out in a bikini, but they already have Virgo and Taylor, do they need another pair of tits that know nothing about snooker?

yup but if they sack virgo and taylor replacement tits stake melinda wouldnt be too bad would she ??

Postby jojo

i would say try and replace hazel irvine with someone like gary lineker who himself can play to a pretty good standard and is a big snooker fan he has done the golf before so he can do the snooker

i cant understand criticism of willie thorne because he for me is a top analyser unlike someone like dennis taylor who just waffle on about golf state the obvious and make mistakes such as miscalculating

at intervals they should bring back things like shot of the championship and show matches of yesteryear there are loads to choose from as for people being interviewed and giving their narative into how they made it or how they didnt i wouldnt be a big fan of that to be honest as that may be cheesy

i dont think there need to be a big shake up in the bbc but a few changes starting with replacing hazel irvine with gary lineker or someone else even garth crooks who very calm and insightful

i must say the indian been a really good addition to the bbc team

Postby Witz78

jojo wrote:i would say try and replace hazel irvine with someone like gary lineker who himself can play to a pretty good standard and is a big snooker fan he has done the golf before so he can do the snooker

i cant understand criticism of willie thorne because he for me is a top analyser unlike someone like dennis taylor who just waffle on about golf state the obvious and make mistakes such as miscalculating

at intervals they should bring back things like shot of the championship and show matches of yesteryear there are loads to choose from as for people being interviewed and giving their narative into how they made it or how they didnt i wouldnt be a big fan of that to be honest as that may be cheesy

i dont think there need to be a big shake up in the bbc but a few changes starting with replacing hazel irvine with gary lineker or someone else even garth crooks who very calm and insightful

i must say the indian been a really good addition to the bbc team

the Great WT bashers are just jealous of his success

Bagged himself a Miss UK, had a great life gambling, drinking and eating :spot on:

Postby Witz78

and get Ray Paresh to feck too

hes a nomad of the BBC sports team, dare i say it, hes a token @&£$

Hes popped up everywhere from Telford International Conference Centre to Henman Hill, SW19 to Cheltenham Racecourse to Indoor Bloody Bowling.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Witz, I struggled to make sense of your last post there, mate. You haven't been on the sauce tonight, have you? Would certainly explain your incoherent ramblings. =p

you will get used to his incoherent ramblings he has these moment often :-)

Postby Muppet147

Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:Witz, I struggled to make sense of your last post there, mate. You haven't been on the sauce tonight, have you? Would certainly explain your incoherent ramblings. =p

That's rich coming from you. :-)

Postby Muppet147

Wild WC wrote:

Edit: sorry for the double post, Snookerfan, you runt.<ok>
Last edited by Muppet147 on 15 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Thanks for clarifying it the second time. <ok>

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Thanks for clarifying it the second time. <ok>

No problem.