Post a reply

Ben Harrison gets in the news ahead of the Q-School

Postby Monique

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/sport/ ... et_fueled/

SNOOKER: Ben's Q School bid is rocket-fueled

4:30pm Saturday 12th May 2012 in Sport
HAWKERIDGE’S Ben Harrison is hoping that a spell practicing alongside new world champion Ronnie O’Sullivan will help inspire him to clinch a place on the World Snooker Tour at this month’s Q School.

The first of the three Q School tournaments, where 12 amateurs will make it on to the pro circuit for at least two years, begins at Sheffield’s World Snooker Academy on Sunday and the 20-year-old hopeful starts his bid when he takes on Jordan Brown on Monday.

Last month, Harrison was invited to train at the Grove Snooker Academy in Romford with top pros Judd Trump and Liang Wenbo but it was the presence of his idol ‘The Rocket’ O’Sullivan – who lifted his fourth world title at The Crucible in Sheffield on Monday – that most excited him.

“It was great to practice with Judd and Liang and I actually beat Judd twice but you couldn’t help but notice that Ronnie was in the room,” said Harrison.

“He’s my idol and I didn’t get to play him but when he was looking over when I was playing, I was just thinking ‘don’t miss’.

“I did try and talk to him a bit and he was just a regular guy – it was amazing and I was so glad that I was there.”

This year will see Harrison take his second shot at reaching the pro tour via the Q School and he said: “I’m feeling confident and I’m playing well but not at my very best at the moment, which is a good thing for me.

“I’m expecting to go through and I know I can do it but it’s still nerve-wracking at the same time – if you don’t get nervous then you shouldn’t be playing really.

“There’s been a whole year building up to this and I’m just hoping that it’s my time.”

Last Wednesday, seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry announced his retirement from the game after being knocked out of this year’s World Championships at the quarter-final stage.

In December last year, Harrison took on the most successful player of all time in a Players’ Tour Championship event in Sheffield and paid tribute to the retiring legend.

“When you ask any up and coming snooker player who they’d like to be like, they say Stephen Hendry – he’s the king of the Crucible,” he said.

“He’s a legend but he’s retiring on a high and it was so amazing to have had the chance to play against him.”

The nicest thing about this is that an amateur like Ben, and the Q-School actually make it to the traditional newspaper press. Not so common nowadays and a sign - I hope - that there is renewed interest in snooker, including grassroots snooker.

Best of luck Ben!
I know he's worked his socks off ahead of this. It would be great to see him get the rewards.

Re: Ben Harrison gets in the news ahead of the Q-School

Postby Wildey

i believe Twitter has contributed a hell of a lot to ignite a intrest in grassroot snooker that previously was unherd of from people that take an intrest of the career of the likes of Ben Harrison Through Twitter.

Before Last years China Open Beergitte did not really Know who even Judd Trump was because he was hardly seen on TV but because of Twitter she now takes a keen intrest in Grass Root level and players like Ben,Sean O'Sullivan,Phil O'Kane and Gareth Allen.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Twitter and things like Snooker Island :santa:

Well of course

and thank to the Excellent work of Roy if you want to know anything about Grass Roots Snooker Snooker Island is the place to be.

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:i believe Twitter has contributed a hell of a lot to ignite a intrest in grassroot snooker that previously was unherd of from people that take an intrest of the career of the likes of Ben Harrison Through Twitter.

Before Last years China Open Beergitte did not really Know who even Judd Trump was because he was hardly seen on TV but because of Twitter she now takes a keen intrest in Grass Root level and players like Ben,Sean O'Sullivan,Phil O'Kane and Gareth Allen.

before last years China Open you didnt know who Judd Trump was either rofl

Postby gallantrabbit

You jest about SI's role Sonny, but this site (and others) makes a contribution to upping snooker's popularity.
I don't know much about Ben, apart from what I've read here, but as he's the forum's adopted son I'll follow the lad's progress too. Good luck Ben Harrison.