Post a reply

SNOOKER "MAJORS" ROLL OF HONOUR

Postby Witz78

Just thinking that Golf with its Major winners and Tennis with its Slam winners compare champions and eras on this method, whereas Snooker places full importance on the World Championship despite having 3 recognised Majors.

Jack Nicklaus leads the way for Golf with 18 Majors to his name, whilst Roger Federer leads the tennis stakes with 16 Slams to his name.

These sports have 4 counting events per year, whilst snooker has 3. The 3 Snooker Majors are The World Championship, UK Championship and The Masters.

Whilst the World Champs has been running since 1927, with the Masters and UK Champs only running since 1975 and 1977 respectively, this list os obviously weighted towards players from the modern era.

Here is the list of all players to have won more than 1 "Major" to their name.

1 STEPHEN HENDRY 18 - Worlds - 7 UK - 5 Masters - 6
2 JOE DAVIS 15 - Worlds - 15 UK - Masters -
3 STEVE DAVIS 15 - Worlds - 6 UK - 6 Masters - 3
4 RONNIE O'SULLIVAN12 - Worlds - 4 UK - 4 Masters - 4
5 JOHN HIGGINS 9 - Worlds - 4 UK - 3 Masters - 2
6= FRED DAVIS 8 - Worlds - 8 UK - Masters -
6= JOHN PULMAN 8 - Worlds - 8 UK - Masters -
8 RAY REARDON 7 - Worlds - 6 UK - Masters - 1
9 MARK WILLIAMS 6 - Worlds - 2 UK - 2 Masters - 2
10 ALEX HIGGINS 5 - Worlds - 2 UK - 1 Masters - 2
11 JOHN SPENCER 4 - Worlds - 3 UK - Masters - 1
12 CLIFF THORBURN 4 - Worlds - 1 UK - Masters - 3
13 TERRY GRIFFITHS 3 - Worlds - 1 UK - 1 Masters - 1
14= DOUG MOUNTJOY 3 - Worlds - UK - 2 Masters - 1
14= DING JUNHUI 3 - Worlds - UK - 2 Masters - 1
16 PAUL HUNTER 3 - Worlds - UK - Masters - 3
17 WALTER DONALDSON2 - Worlds - 2 UK - Masters -
18= SHAUN MURPHY 2 - Worlds - 1 UK - 1 Masters -
18= PETER EBDON 2 - Worlds - 1 UK - 1 Masters -
18= JOHN PARROTT 2 - Worlds - 1 UK - 1 Masters -
21= NEIL ROBERTSON 2 - Worlds - 1 UK - Masters - 1
21= DENNIS TAYLOR 2- Worlds - 1 UK - Masters - 1
23 JIMMY WHITE 2 - Worlds - UK - 1 Masters - 1
24 MARK SELBY 2 - Worlds - UK - Masters - 2
Last edited by Witz78 on 12 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Re: SNOOKER "MAJORS" ROLL OF HONOUR

Postby Roland

Good stuff. I think Ronnie will catch Davis but don't think Higgins will. Of those currently playing - Ding, Robbo, Murphy, Selby, they've got a long way to go to get anywhere near even Williams. I expect them all to add to their tally but maybe Judd will come along and leapfrog them all at some point.

Postby Witz78

I mainly just compiled this list because it was one id never seen done before so was curious to see how it looked.

Now its done and ive looked it over, here are my observations and conclusions.

1) Why did Davis do so poor at the Masters? (he only won 2 during his total dominace of the 80s)

2) Ronnie has a 100% record in WC and UK finals yet has somehow lost 5 Masters finals.

3) Ronnie clearly above John Higgins for me based on this.

4) The list shows how dissapointing Williams tally is compared to the fellow Class of '92 members and ends all arguments that he was on a par with them.

5) Despite Alex Higgins being seen as an underachiever he has a decent tally and finds himself ahead of the likes of Spencer, Griffiths and Thorburn from his generation.

6) Strange how theres players like Cliff, Hunter and Selby with mutiple Masters wins accounting for the bulk or all of their Majors tally.

7) Ding Junhui at 24 years of age is doing extremely well so far in his career.

8) Jimmy White underachieved so badly when you look at others tallies on the list.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:I mainly just compiled this list because it was one id never seen done before so was curious to see how it looked.

Now its done and ive looked it over, here are my observations and conclusions.

1) Why did Davis do so poor at the Masters? (he only won 2 during his total dominace of the 80s)

2) Ronnie has a 100% record in WC and UK finals yet has somehow lost 5 Masters finals.

3) Ronnie clearly above John Higgins for me based on this.

4) The list shows how dissapointing Williams tally is compared to the fellow Class of '92 members and ends all arguments that he was on a par with them.

5) Despite Alex Higgins being seen as an underachiever he has a decent tally and finds himself ahead of the likes of Spencer, Griffiths and Thorburn from his generation.

6) Strange how theres players like Cliff, Hunter and Selby with mutiple Masters wins accounting for the bulk or all of their Majors tally.

7) Ding Junhui at 24 years of age is doing extremely well so far in his career.

8) Jimmy White underachieved so badly when you look at others tallies on the list.

ding only really needs to World now to get that monkey off his back he might start to really climb up that list

Postby jojo

criminal how jimmy is so low on that list but it nobody elses fault except his own

i can actually see ronnie overtaking davis and hendry however a slight disadvantage for him is the shorter format in the uk until the semis

dennis taylor should be on two aswell

i would say in golf and tennis the majors are weighted equally i think it depend on player preference for example becker always loved wimbledon more than the others yet others who love clay hated it

in snooker the majors are in rank order ie worlds uk then masters how about a points system ? something like three points for a world championship two for a uk win and one for a masters title itll be interesting to see which players end up where

Postby Wildey

But Regarding Williams his Tally of 6 was achieved in a 5 year Period 1998-2003 during thoes years he was the outstanding player of his generation.

he just went off the boil and never really got it back.

Postby Roland

I was just thinking back to the end of the 2006 season and the woeful showing of the Higgins/Williams/O'Sullivan trio. They seemed to be on the way down. If you'd told me then that between them Higgins and O'Sullivan would win 5 of the next 6 World Championships I wouldn't have believed it.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:I was just thinking back to the end of the 2006 season and the woeful showing of the Higgins/Williams/O'Sullivan trio. They seemed to be on the way down. If you'd told me then that between them Higgins and O'Sullivan would win 5 of the next 6 World Championships I wouldn't have believed it.

Higgins had won the Grand Prix and Masters in the 05-06 season though, Williams won the China Open. Ronnie had a poor season though he did actually reach the finals of them 2 events that Higgins won.

Postby jojo

some would say he shouldnt be on that list his hit and hope antics on the black ball shoot out wasnt a great advert for quality snooker even though it was exciting i would have given him more credit if he played one or two safety shots on the black

he had something like four or five shots on the black and every attempt he went for a pot no matter where the cueball was or the black

that isnt skill it just hit and hope but he did well to get to a decider i give him that

Postby Roland

I guess Higgins was the surprise. He was a single WC winner for years and it seemed time had passed him by but then he went on and won 3 world titles in 5 years. Ronnie I guess was no surprise but around that 2005/06 time it did seem like their best years could be behind them and the next generation were about to break through.

Postby Witz78

around 2006 and before Higgins won his 2nd world title, im pretty sure the new BIG FOUR that everyone talked about was Maguire, Murphy, Ding and Ronnie.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I guess Higgins was the surprise. He was a single WC winner for years and it seemed time had passed him by but then he went on and won 3 world titles in 5 years. Ronnie I guess was no surprise but around that 2005/06 time it did seem like their best years could be behind them and the next generation were about to break through.

yes Higgins was almost a hasbeen when he started the 2007 World Championship but even after he won it you had the Feeling it will be his swan song at Top Level Major winnings.

i think his best performance in World Championship was in 1998 and 1999 but i think his best Championship in later years was his 2009 win and defined John as a True Great his never say die Atitute in winning that year.