Topic locked

Is this World Title the hardest one in history to achieve?

Postby olding

I think it is in terms of those opponents which Ronnie have beaten - 3 former champions and 2 finalists

Peter Ebdon - Former World Champion, Reigning China Open Champion

Mark Williams - World No.3, Former World Champion, Runner-ups of this season's Australia Open and Shanghai Masters

Neil Robertson - World No.5, Former World Champion, Reigning Masters Champion

Matthew Stevens - 2-time-finalist of World Championship, Former UK Champion

Ali Carter - finalist of 2008 World Championship, 2-time Ranking Event Winners

Give me some your tips please. And is it an interesting and discussible topic? :-D

PS: I am a Chinese, my english is not well enough, so i would like to browse through your opinions and discussion seriously without taking part in. :-)

Re: Is this World Title the hardest one in history to achiev

Postby Roland

The short answer is no. Of those only Neil Robertson and Ali Carter could be considered among the current form players. Peter Ebdon was before the event but didn't perform as he did in China. None the less it is still a great achievement to win the World Championship no matter who you play.

For a tough path look at Graeme Dott in 2010:
Round 1 - Peter Ebdon
Round 2 - Stephen Maguire
Quarter-final - Mark Allen
Semi-final - Mark Selby
Final (lost to) - Neil Robertson

Postby SnookerFan

Hard to say.

Ebdon, Williams, and Neil Robertson are certainly tough men to beat. And on paper it was one of the most difficult draws we've seen. But as Sonny said, form comes into it a lot as well. The discussion about Robertson having an easier draw when he won it was muddied somewhat by how well Gould played in one round. (Though, I do still believe Robertson's was still easier than it could have been.)

Bottom line is though, you can only beat what's put in front of you. And, apart from the first round, you play somebody that has already won within that seventeen days. That's what Ronnie did. He was the best and most consistent player in those seventeen days, and deserved to win.

Postby Dougal

On one hand, you could say that he had to beat 3 former champions and 2 multiple finalists to win it. And that would be very true.

On the other hand, you could also say that he has an excellent head to head record against every opponent he came up against. That would also be true.

It's never easy to win the Worlds, but to my mind, once Selby went out, the winner of Robertson v Ronnie was going to win the thing. I had money on Robertson at the start of the tournament but am a massive Ronnie fan.

Postby Wildey

it was Ronnies Hardest Route on Paper but Disecting it shows

Ebdon did not perform

cant really coment on Williams did not see much of it but we all know the Williams vs Ronnie record over 10 years plus Williams Form this season been poor.

Robbo lost 13-10 after one session he looked like he had lost his eyes so it was a close match with Robbo just playing 2 sessions.

Stevens well enough said

and Carter he wouldnt beat Ronnie if you had Ronnie in a straight Jacket it seems.

Postby Casey

I think Higgins run last year was more difficult – not the second round of course but he had the tougher run in

Hendry in 99 (easy round 2 but look at the rest)

Hunter – Wattana – Stevens – Ronnie – Williams

This was at a time when Stevens and Williams were at the top of the game as well.

Giving who Ronnie had to play in the final, no way can it be considered the hardest draw ever - nothning Ronnie could do about that - it's the way it is.

Postby SnookerFan

I think it's obvious that Ronnie had a tough route, but played well and was the most consistent over 17 days. It was a fine achievement, especially considering how close he was to dropping out of the top-16. Hugely significant win for him.

But when you start discussing who had the toughest route ever, it gets a bit subjective for there to be one answer to.

Postby vodkadiet

Jewell wrote:I think Hendry in 99 had the toughest route when you closely analyze who he faced in each round.

Hendry's route in 99 was easily the hardest route, particularly with so much at stake(the record of world titles in modern era). I doubt it will ever be matched.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Steve Davis in 1981:
R1 Jimmy White
R2 Alex Higgins
Quarter-final: Terry Griffiths
Semi-final: Cliff Thorburn
Final: Doug Mountjoy

yeh id go with that i reckon

just look at the it, unreal

the raw talent of young Jimmy who pushed him close
the peoples champion who had been runner up the year before
the 2 most recent world champions and total grinders
then Deadly Doug who was at his peak around then and no mug

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:
R1 Jimmy White
R2 Alex Higgins

Yeah that was a monster draw looking back and taking into account the players standings at that time. Mountjoy had scored a 145 break in that tournament too, then the highest break in the Worlds. All of those players would've been capable of reaching the quarters or later in this day and age in their early 80s form.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
R1 Jimmy White
R2 Alex Higgins

Yeah that was a monster draw looking back and taking into account the players standings at that time. Mountjoy had scored a 145 break in that tournament too, then the highest break in the Worlds. All of those players would've been capable of reaching the quarters or later in this day and age in their early 80s form.

that was an awesome tournament on paper (wikipedia)

wish id been a bit older to remember that one

Mountjoys run to the final wasnt actually much easier tbh

Thorne
Charlton
Taylor
Reardon

Postby Roland

The funniest thing is his biggest hero worshipping fanboy thinks this year Ronnie had the hardest route to a world title ever and has elevated all the players Ronnie faced this year above their station to make Ronnie's win seem even more unlikely, in particular Matthew Stevens who played like a god in the semi-final with an 85% pot success rate. And I've been quoted in his signature, how flattering <laugh>

http://www.rocketronnie.net/viewtopic.p ... 991#p69991

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:The funniest thing is his biggest hero worshipping fanboy thinks this year Ronnie had the hardest route to a world title ever and has elevated all the players Ronnie faced this year above their station to make Ronnie's win seem even more unlikely, in particular Matthew Stevens who played like a god in the semi-final with an 85% pot success rate. And I've been quoted in his signature, how flattering <laugh>

Carters highest break after 21 frames was 58 :chuckle:

In fact none of Ronnies opponents this year had a pot success rate of 90% of above = rank.

Postby vodkadiet

Casey wrote:
Sonny wrote:The funniest thing is his biggest hero worshipping fanboy thinks this year Ronnie had the hardest route to a world title ever and has elevated all the players Ronnie faced this year above their station to make Ronnie's win seem even more unlikely, in particular Matthew Stevens who played like a god in the semi-final with an 85% pot success rate. And I've been quoted in his signature, how flattering <laugh>

Carters highest break after 21 frames was 58 :chuckle:

In fact none of Ronnies opponents this year had a pot success rate of 90% of above = rank.

Carter's 2nd highest break after 29 frames was 64. Rubbish.