THU - 3 sessions
FRI - 3 sessions
------------------------

SAT (rest day before final)
---------------------------------

Final 35 frames (8/8/9/10) 4 sessions x 1 match = 4 sessions

SUN - 2 sessions
MON - 2 sessions

================================================================================

ADVANTAGES

- Event starts with a bang on a Friday night instead of with a whimper on a Saturday morning

- Each round completed before the next one starts

- Each new round starts on a new day

- Draw will be staggered from top of draw to bottom of draw so everyone has a similar schedule in effect, albeit at different
times

- Every round is a different length, gradually increasing. This gives each round a different identity as well as the increase signifying the ever growing importance

- Other than the 2nd Wednesday morning for table purposes, there will be no wasted sessions like the Thursday morning and Sunday mornings we usually get under the present format.

- Rest day before the final so both players are fully recovered

- Rest day before the final so one player doesnt have an advantage over a tired player

Re: FUTURE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS - a revised format

Postby Skullman

It really isn't that effective to have Saturday, a day where most people don't have work/school/whatever, off with no snooker. And why are the quarter finals 8/9/10? Why not 9/9/9?

Although I do like the Friday night start. Don't they normally have a couple of morings off to recover the tables though?

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:It really isn't that effective to have Saturday, a day where most people don't have work/school/whatever, off with no snooker. And why are the quarter finals 8/9/10? Why not 9/9/9?

Although I do like the Friday night start. Don't they normally have a couple of morings off to recover the tables though?

the only other option then is to stagger the final over 3 days but then theres no rest day,

if the final is still to end on the bank holiday Monday then if its 2 days then the Sat is always gonna have to be the rest day.

Could do 9 frames on Saturday at say 4pm start so someone potentially playing late on the Fri night has had time to recover.

9 frames on Sunday afternoon at 2.30pm

then 9 and 10 frames on Mon afternoon and evening?

re: the table fitters, they can do that during the night surely <ok>

Postby Wildey

i like it witz shock horror however what id do with the same format is make the rest day Wednesday after the Quarter Final then Give Table Fitters all day to re Jig the venue but as skullman says no Snooker on the saturday is shooting yourself in the foot.

Its Stamina event and ive never known such bullocks regarding players wanting rest days TBH but i like the Friday night Idea.

Parrott was trying to tell us Carter had nothing left to give in the final Hendry hit back no hes just being out played and thats the truth of it..

Postby Skullman

Wild WC wrote:i like it witz shock horror however what id do with the same format is make the rest day Wednesday after the Quarter Final then Give Table Fitters all day to re Jig the venue but as skullman says no Snooker on the saturday is shooting yourself in the foot.

Its Stamina event and ive never known such bullocks regarding players wanting rest days TBH but i like the Friday night Idea.

Parrott was trying to tell us Carter had nothing left to give in the final Hendry hit back no hes just being out played and thats the truth of it..

I personally think it was both, but :shrug: past now.

Stamina has to come into sometime, which is why Carter or Lee are never going win regardless of who he faces. Lee can do well in the short events, but gets battered in longer matches. He's only won only match that bo11+. While Carter's Crohn's and new style of play mean he'll be burnt out at some point in the seventeen days.

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:i like it witz shock horror however what id do with the same format is make the rest day Wednesday after the Quarter Final then Give Table Fitters all day to re Jig the venue but as skullman says no Snooker on the saturday is shooting yourself in the foot.

i had toyed with having the rest day after the quarters cos i know not having the semis conclusion or any snooker on a Saturday isnt ideal.

for me the World Championships as the showpiece event and the one that casual once a year veiwer tunes into watch, should be a showcase of great snooker, not misses galore and players dead on their feet.

the argument for a rest day is as much to improve the latter stages as a spectacle than to give the players a rest day <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

i had toyed with having the rest day after the quarters cos i know not having the semis conclusion or any snooker on a Saturday isnt ideal.

for me the World Championships as the showpiece event and the one that casual once a year veiwer tunes into watch, should be a showcase of great snooker, not misses galore and players dead on their feet.

the argument for a rest day is as much to improve the latter stages as a spectacle than to give the players a rest day <ok>

i can see your point but its playing snooker not a 10 hour shift down the mines sorry but if players wanting rest days to perform they arent good enough players its as simple as that.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:Wild mate, your talking nonsense. Everyone needs a rest now and then. To judge that as lacking ability is ridiculous.

no mate its absolutely ridiculous hearing people shoving balls about for about 6 hour max a day wanting a break...

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:Wild mate, your talking nonsense. Everyone needs a rest now and then. To judge that as lacking ability is ridiculous.

i know if i play a best a best of 19 on a Sat that goes the distance, then im literally dead on my feet by the end and am still toiling the next day partially cos iev had a crap sleep cos of the adrenalin etc

So with all the added pressure these guys have plus far greater intensity and mental effort they put in, its no surprise that fatigue sets in after many successive days on the baize.

Postby The Cueist

Witz78 wrote:

i know if i play a best a best of 19 on a Sat that goes the distance, then im literally dead on my feet by the end and am still toiling the next day partially cos iev had a crap sleep cos of the adrenalin etc

So with all the added pressure these guys have plus far greater intensity and mental effort they put in, its no surprise that fatigue sets in after many successive days on the baize.

Witz :-) I like it mate,A fatigue free final :hatoff:

Why not let the players have the day off and prepare their plan of attack and organise a one frame seniors tournament for charity to fill the day at the crucible.

Postby snooky147

I used to play in the pro ams in glasgow on sunday, monday and Wednesday's, gave me something to do while graeme was playing. It does take it out of you,not physically but mentally its draining.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:I used to play in the pro ams in glasgow on sunday, monday and Wednesday's, gave me something to do while graeme was playing. It does take it out of you,not physically but mentally its draining.

where did these take place, all over the various usual clubs i take it?

any players of note you played?

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:
snooky147 wrote:I used to play in the pro ams in glasgow on sunday, monday and Wednesday's, gave me something to do while graeme was playing. It does take it out of you,not physically but mentally its draining.

where did these take place, all over the various usual clubs i take it?

any players of note you played?

Played them all mate apart from hendry. Annoyingly i was drawn against McManus 5 times consecutively and even with 35 start he beat me 2-1 each time. Biggest scalp was Alfie burden ,again getting 35. Beat him 3-2 from 2 nil down. rofl rofl

Postby PLtheRef

I think what Witz is suggesting is a great format, though I think 9,9,9 would be better for the quarter-finals or play the ten frame sessions in the evening, this obviously means QF1 and QF3 would play 8,10,9 in am, eve and am sessions with the other two playing pm, pm and eve sessions.

I don't think there would be any problem with a best of 19 or best of 21 third place match. They used to play one over the best of 13 frames over the first two days of the three day finals. Personally I think if you play a best of 19 frame match where the pressure is off in terms of reaching the final the chance is you can get yourself a great spectacle.

I think it should be played from Fridays and finishing on the Sundays too currently.

Postby Wildey

im not saying that its not draining but thats the whole point of the World Championship and last year after 2 classic semis we had a classic final.

they dont need a break they just need to perform.

Postby jojo

wild snooker can take it out of you mentally it would be good to have a day off before the final but again it depend on certain factors if the break is necessary for example ronnie only had to play one match to get to the final whereas carter had some really tough draining matches

i like the format but im certain nothing will be changed

Postby vodkadiet

The Thursdays at The Crucible are boring.

The last 16 line up should be complete at the end of the first Wednesday, and 2nd round action should start on 2 tables on Thursday afternoon (4 second round matches should start on the Thursday).

There should be no second round action on the morning of the second Sunday to allow fans to go out and get hammered on the middle Saturday night without missing any snooker.

The semis are too long. I would have them best of 29 frames, played over 3 sessions(9,9,11). Too often the final session is an anti climax, and that shouldn't be the case. I also think by lessening the semis to 3 sessions it means there will be more interest in the first session, and will reduce the chance of fatigue for the advancing player in the final.

The final should remain as it is. It is the right length, and should be the only match to have 4 sessions. It will be the only snooker match all season to have 4 sessions, that will make it unique.

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:dont know why they made the semi finals best of thirty three it silly really it should be best of thirty one i know it only one frame extra but even so it should be first to sixteen

the BBC Wanted 8 frame sessions instead of some being 7 frames.

Postby jojo

the bbc being silly because the only session that can have seven frames is the final one if players go into that 12-12 ie 4-4 then 8-8 then 12-12 they dont want a best of seven final session instead they want a best of nine

they silly really because rarely do semi finals go into deciding frames how often have there been deciders in the last ten or twenty years ? even then playing the one frame less ir first to sixteen instead of seventeen can make a lot of difference in terms of the player being fatigued for the final especially if it go late into the night