Topic locked

Hearn responds to Ronnie's "blackmail" comments

Postby Roland

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... tions.html

“Blackmail?” Hearn said on Tuesday. “Guilty as charged, your honour.”

O’Sullivan marked his fourth title on Monday night with a prolonged public assault on Hearn’s organisation, claiming it was forcing players to compete in minor competitions to accumulate sufficient ranking points to qualify for the major tournaments.

“You sense there’s always the pressure of World Snooker squeezing you at every opportunity,” said an emotional champion moments after taking possession of the £250,000 winner’s cheque at the Sheffield Crucible. “What’s the best word? Blackmail? OK yeah, it’s blackmail.”

O’Sullivan said he had been so exhausted at times during the past season fulfilling contractual demands imposed on him by the board he had once almost crashed his car when he fell asleep at the wheel returning from an engagement. He added he was going to take a six-month break from the circuit to recoup and consider his next move.

“I love Ronnie to bits,” said Hearn, who was one of the first at the Crucible to congratulate the new champion. “But will I sit down and talk to him about this? Well, let’s just say Ronnie is renowned for many things, but logic isn’t one of them.”

Hearn insisted that far from requiring leading players to turn out for more tournaments, the new contract he has introduced to cover an expanded network of competition leaves the decision up to them.

“I have a duty to the game as a whole, my task was to fill up the schedule with tournaments every week and I’ve done that,” he said. “Nothing in the contract says you’ve got to play in all of them, however. Tiger Woods picks and chooses which golf tournaments he plays in. I think Ronnie should do the same. What we don’t want is players entering then pulling out. And if people pull out they will be fined. But I don’t have a problem if they say they won’t come and they don’t. I’d love Ronnie in every event, course I would, just like PGA would want Tiger. But if he’s not there, hey we get on with it.”

Hearn also admitted surprise at O’Sullivan’s suggestion that he was exhausted by the new schedule.

“Last season he played 60 days of snooker, most people who go to work would recognise that as a pretty low-key year,” he said. “But that’s his choice. My choice is to work 365 days a year.”

And while Hearn said he was always willing to talk to players about issues within the game, he wondered how much point there was discussing the matter with the man who is now unquestionably the game’s biggest box-office draw.

“Sometimes there’s very little logic with Ronnie,” he said. “He’s been telling everyone he’s about to retire since the UK Championships when he was 18. That means he’s been threatening it for 18 years. I don’t think even Frank Sinatra retired that many times. What I say to Ronnie is this: embrace life, play in what you want. We’ll welcome you with open arms.”

Re: Hearn responds to Ronnie's "blackmail" comments

Postby Roland

Absolutely. In the post match presser I thought on the whole Ronnie was very mature but as soon as he mentioned blackmail and then attempted to hold the governing body to ransom it reminded me of the Alex Higgins comment "Can snooker live without me?". I knew what the response would be from Hearn and good on him.

As I've said before, Ronnie and all players should be allowed to pick and choose what they play in. What they shouldn't be allowed to do is enter, and then at the last minute pull out or not turn up without expecting some sort of fine and docking of ranking points. And that's exactly what Hearn has said here.

Postby Wildey

i will have to respond to this

But I don’t have a problem if they say they won’t come and they don’t. I’d love Ronnie in every event, course I would, just like PGA would want Tiger. But if he’s not there, hey we get on with it.”

when players decided not to go to Brazil he did have a problem with it so that could be seeing as a bit contradicting.

but apart from that Barry has done what he set out to do create tournaments for players to play in they cant have it both ways the events is there then play or dont but dont moan about it.

Postby Dougal

I think that Hearn's response here is spot on and shows excellent man-management skills. He knows that coming down hard on Ronnie and having a verbal spat with him won't help. So he's given Ronnie some clear messages whilst recognising Ronnie's current importance. Hearn knows that selling snooker to sponsors is easier with O'Sullivan around AT THE MOMENT because of the press he generates.

Note how he manages Mark Allen completely differently- he knows that Allen is sturdy/stubborn enough to handle a very straight talking approach.

They're basically arguing from the same point of view though, aren't they? What Ronnie has suggested he'll do is what Hearn is also suggesting he should do- pick and choose his events.

Postby SnookerFan

Dougal wrote:I think that Hearn's response here is spot on and shows excellent man-management skills. He knows that coming down hard on Ronnie and having a verbal spat with him won't help. So he's given Ronnie some clear messages whilst recognising Ronnie's current importance. Hearn knows that selling snooker to sponsors is easier with O'Sullivan around AT THE MOMENT because of the press he generates.

Note how he manages Mark Allen completely differently- he knows that Allen is sturdy/stubborn enough to handle a very straight talking approach.

They're basically arguing from the same point of view though, aren't they? What Ronnie has suggested he'll do is what Hearn is also suggesting he should do- pick and choose his events.

In my experience, this is true of a lot of arguments.

Postby Dougal

SnookerFan wrote:
Dougal wrote:I think that Hearn's response here is spot on and shows excellent man-management skills. He knows that coming down hard on Ronnie and having a verbal spat with him won't help. So he's given Ronnie some clear messages whilst recognising Ronnie's current importance. Hearn knows that selling snooker to sponsors is easier with O'Sullivan around AT THE MOMENT because of the press he generates.

Mine too. It's because people don't actually listen to each other at all. What's that quote 'before you seek to judge, seek to understand.' If only.

Postby Wildey

Dougal wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Mine too. It's because people don't actually listen to each other at all. What's that quote 'before you seek to judge, seek to understand.' If only.

not really the same point of view.

Ronnie wants to pick and chose events and not cost him ranking points where as Barry Hearn says pick and choose at all cost to your career.

however where Ronnie dont get is this bullocks crappy marmite of prize money rankings will give him the secure he desires without working his balls off IF he wins a major Event.

Postby gallantrabbit

Ronnie should know better than to offer Hearn outside. He was just taking advantage of his World Champion moment and of course reporters never help. They're always looking for the obtuse angle, just like after the Trump Carter match when I don't think either of them would have knocked the other if it hadn't been for "well he said...".
The prize money rankings do of course help Ronnie. 5 times in China will be tough, but that's where the game is truly growing and where the money is. Hopefully in a year or two prize money for those events will greatly increase. That should be Hearn's aim.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:Ronnie should know better than to offer Hearn outside. He was just taking advantage of his World Champion moment and of course reporters never help. They're always looking for the obtuse angle, just like after the Trump Carter match when I don't think either of them would have knocked the other if it hadn't been for "well he said...".
The prize money rankings do of course help Ronnie. 5 times in China will be tough, but that's where the game is truly growing and where the money is. Hopefully in a year or two prize money for those events will greatly increase. That should be Hearn's aim.

ive for a long time slated the prize funds in China as being paltry given the supposed level of interest in the sport over the Far East, but it seems theyve got the finger out next season with some serious money, finally on offer. <ok>

Postby Monique

No, for what we have been told at the Crucible the "big one" in China has exactly the same format as all the others, wildcards included. Just more points and money. All of the bloggers who attended were disappointed.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:ah rite Mon, i coulda sworn i read an article somewhere around a month or so ago saying the format i mentioned

That's entirely possible. A lot of things are written around without checking properly how accurate they are and if it's provisional or confirmed stuff.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:No, for what we have been told at the Crucible the "big one" in China has exactly the same format as all the others, wildcards included. Just more points and money. All of the bloggers who attended were disappointed.

well thats that then samey samey samey

Load of rubbish..

variety yeah right Barry <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Word was the new one has 2 session semis and a longer final

yep, knew id def heard it too so good to see someone else thinking the same

but facts remain its

4 tables
2 session
8 wild cards

Last 32 best of 9
Last 16 best of 9
Q F best of 9
S F best of 11
FINAL best of 19

its the same event played 5 times in different region of china

Postby Skullman

Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Word was the new one has 2 session semis and a longer final

yep, knew id def heard it too so good to see someone else thinking the same

but facts remain its

4 tables
2 session
8 wild cards

Last 32 best of 9
Last 16 best of 9
Q F best of 9
S F best of 11
FINAL best of 19

its the same event played 5 times in different region of china

But the International has bo17 semis, and potentially b021 final. Admittedly it's not much, but it's a start.

Postby snooky147

So, theres 5 china ranking events. The wsa want the players out there early for the opening ceremony. Why not have a ptc event before the ranker. Most are out there in time for one. Would help with the jetlag and the boredom.

Postby Monique

snooky147 wrote:So, theres 5 china ranking events. The wsa want the players out there early for the opening ceremony. Why not have a ptc event before the ranker. Most are out there in time for one. Would help with the jetlag and the boredom.

The first APTC finishes a couple of days before the Wuxi. The two others are just after the Shanghai Masters and the International Cup.
Regarding the second one though, it's not played in Shanghai but in some place about an hour driving from the city. I don't know about the others. Also the "Shanghai" one starts on the day of the "main event" final. And anyway who will want to stay for it if they get beat in early rounds?

Regarding the International cup, from what we have heard at the Crucible, the points will be the same as the UK, but the format will not be different from the other Chinese events.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
snooky147 wrote:So, theres 5 china ranking events. The wsa want the players out there early for the opening ceremony. Why not have a ptc event before the ranker. Most are out there in time for one. Would help with the jetlag and the boredom.

The first APTC finishes a couple of days before the Wuxi. The two others are just after the Shanghai Masters and the International Cup.
Regarding the second one though, it's not played in Shanghai but in some place about an hour driving from the city. I don't know about the others. Also the "Shanghai" one starts on the day of the "main event" final. And anyway who will want to stay for it if they get beat in early rounds?

Regarding the International cup, from what we have heard at the Crucible, the points will be the same as the UK, but the format will not be different from the other Chinese events.

well i know id sooner "hang around" for nearly a week in a lovely city and sample the local culture then get another shot at playing my chosen profession and earn some cash, than rush home with my tail between my legs just to sit twiddling my thumbs

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:

well i know id sooner "hang around" for nearly a week in a lovely city and sample the local culture then get another shot at playing my chosen profession and earn some cash, than rush home with my tail between my legs just to sit twiddling my thumbs

Dont you get tired of telling people to enjoy the local culture. They have been there and done that. The family men want home to their wives and kids. I wont speak for graeme but i do have the photos of when he was sampling the culture. How many time do you need to do that, especially with the schedule as it is now. They want to get home and spend as much time as they can between tournaments. Its okay for the young single guys like Trump etc, they will love it but it should not be seen as a weakness or lack of commitment for those with families to want to spend time with them.
Sorry if any errors. Typing on a tablet.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:

Dont you get tired of telling people to enjoy the local culture. They have been there and done that. The family men want home to their wives and kids. I wont speak for graeme but i do have the photos of when he was sampling the culture. How many time do you need to do that, especially with the schedule as it is now. They want to get home and spend as much time as they can between tournaments. Its okay for the young single guys like Trump etc, they will love it but it should not be seen as a weakness or lack of commitment for those with families to want to spend time with them.

ive no family so i cant sympathise with their position, im devoid of emotion, id even go months without speaking to my mum and dad if they didnt ring me probably.

well its up to each player to decide what he wants, the way i see it going snookers gonna become a young mans game in the next few years, if they old guard (and i include Graeme) in that want to remain among the top players, then theyll either have to step it up at the events they enter, or be forced to enter the smaller ones reluctantly to boost their prospects.

the spelling looks ok to me, maybe you should lend Wild that tablet <laugh>

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:

ive no family so i cant sympathise with their position, im devoid of emotion, id even go months without speaking to my mum and dad if they didnt ring me probably.

well its up to each player to decide what he wants, the way i see it going snookers gonna become a young mans game in the next few years, if they old guard (and i include Graeme) in that want to remain among the top players, then theyll either have to step it up at the events they enter, or be forced to enter the smaller ones reluctantly to boost their prospects.

the spelling looks ok to me, maybe you should lend Wild that tablet <laugh>

cant sympathise ??? :irk:

If someone has 1 arm or no legs or is blind cant you sympathise either, when does the sympathy kick in. Missing your kids is something to be considered for sure.

Whilst I agree snooker growing is great - it must be horrible travelling so far to play possibly in front of a poor crowd for possibly not great money and having to fund the travel / hotel and by the way you got young kids who are missing you and you are missing them.

Sorry but I do see that angle of it as well.

So I do sympathise. <ok>

Postby Lucky

Hearn will face a backlash....watching that documentary about him, he comes across as a power mad dictator, most of us work, and have bosses, but you expect respect, not an arshole on TV shouting its my way or they can F off! He's doing ok with the sport, but he's gotta listen to the players too, they are the sport and not some easily replaceable commodity!

Postby Smart

Lucky wrote:Hearn will face a backlash....watching that documentary about him, he comes across as a power mad dictator, most of us work, and have bosses, but you expect respect, not an arshole on TV shouting its my way or they can F off! He's doing ok with the sport, but he's gotta listen to the players too, they are the sport and not some easily replaceable commodity!

yes he comes across super arrogant, not sure how much of that is for show and how much is 100% him. Maloney was saying that he was good for his word but not that he totally trusted him - that was my take of it <ok>

Postby Casey

Lucky wrote:Hearn will face a backlash....watching that documentary about him, he comes across as a power mad dictator, most of us work, and have bosses, but you expect respect, not an arshole on TV shouting its my way or they can F off! He's doing ok with the sport, but he's gotta listen to the players too, they are the sport and not some easily replaceable commodity!

Can't argue with that - but what will the players do? he has the power and the money - the players will follow the money.

If my boss was a sausage and made my life overly difficult I would look for the same job with another Company, players can't do that.