Topic locked

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan 2012 World Champion

Postby Witz78

I doubted it myself prior to the German Masters but then after that i knew he was at peace with himself and deep down i fancied his chances of winning this, but didnt want to go public on them incase i ended up with egg on my face.

4 World Titles the minimum Ronnie deserves to end up on, certainly should be on a par with Higgins at worst IMO and also having twice as many as Williams and Alex Higgins is right.

I feel Ronnie being on a par with Davis 6 titles would be apt

Postby Alpha

If O'Sullivan had applied himself throughout his career like Davis or Hendry did, he would have 8 world titles by now. He is THAT good.

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:After Ronnie lost 6-2 to Judd Trump at the Masters, Dave Hendon tweeted: "Torch passed" and the BBC made a tribute in the final because they thought he would drop out of the top 16 for good.

Look at him now: Champion of the World.

classic Hendon

the voice of snooker my ass <doh>

Postby Witz78

Alpha wrote:If O'Sullivan had applied himself throughout his career like Davis or Hendry did, he would have 8 world titles by now. He is THAT good.

yeh if only hed met this doctor when he was 20, not when he was mid 30s

Postby Roland

His performance in the German Masters was awesome. If he played like that all the time he'd win most events and he carried some of that form through to the biggest stage.

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:After Ronnie lost 6-2 to Judd Trump at the Masters, Dave Hendon tweeted: "Torch passed" and the BBC made a tribute in the final because they thought he would drop out of the top 16 for good.

Anyone with a brain knew the top 16 situation was his own doing for last season not playing in anything and he would be back in soon as those events ceased to count.

Postby jojo

the rankings arent truly accurate anyway

dont think ronnie will ever get inside the top ten again purely because he will be skipping around thirty to forty percent of ranking tournaments but he will always do enough to stay in for the next ten years at least and pick up on average one or two ranking events every season like i been saying since during the german open

well already he pick up two ranking events this season hell probably be playing in six ranking events next season and i can see him winning one or two of these

Postby Andre147

Alpha wrote:If O'Sullivan had applied himself throughout his career like Davis or Hendry did, he would have 8 world titles by now. He is THAT good.

Yeah got to agree with that... but maybe it wouldn't have been the same Ronnie we all know... but, still, if he carries on like this, with this kind of will and determination, he could still at least tie Davis's 6 World Titles...

Dont think it'll happen... but, like Witz said, 4 World Titles is pretty good.. the least he could have given his ability

Postby Andre147

jojo wrote:the rankings arent truly accurate anyway

dont think ronnie will ever get inside the top ten again purely because he will be skipping around thirty to forty percent of ranking tournaments but he will always do enough to stay in for the next ten years at least and pick up on average one or two ranking events every season like i been saying since during the german open

well already he pick up two ranking events this season hell probably be playing in six ranking events next season and i can see him winning one or two of these

The problem is jojo the less tournaments Ronnie enters, the less match practice and competing with top players he will get. Even though he doesnt admit it, the ptcs this season definetely helped his game to sharpen up.. he has said in an interview that he thinks the ptcs didnt benefit his game, but if it wasnt for the majority of them he wouldnt have got some of the results he's had.

Just look at that horrible season he had, last season in fact.. he played in almost no event and subsequently got beat first round in almost every tourney... he may think that next season he can only start to play come September or October or whatever, but by then most top players will have played lots of matches and Ronnie will not be able to cope with that...

I know he isnt like most players who need to play in every tournament, but he has said that next season he will manage his calendar better... Personally, if that meant that he could still win tournaments regardless of how many matches he plays, then that would be fine... but the thing is that means he has more chances of being knocked out early in a tourney because of match sharpness... Thank god next season he has almost no points to defend after the World Open...

Postby Alpha

Witz78 wrote:

yeh if only hed met this doctor when he was 20, not when he was mid 30s

He'd been looking for someone like that doctor since his mid 20s, tried everyone and everything and unfortunately nothing worked until last year

Postby Alpha

Andre147 wrote:

Yeah got to agree with that... but maybe it wouldn't have been the same Ronnie we all know... but, still, if he carries on like this, with this kind of will and determination, he could still at least tie Davis's 6 World Titles...

Dont think it'll happen... but, like Witz said, 4 World Titles is pretty good.. the least he could have given his ability

Honestly, its like John Parrott says, if he wants to win 6 or 7 World crowns, he will. Problem is he doesn't want to stick around long enough to do it.

Postby Andre147

Alpha wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Honestly, its like John Parrott says, if he wants to win 6 or 7 World crowns, he will. Problem is he doesn't want to stick around long enough to do it.

The problem is Alpha by now he should have had more than 4 World Titles... to reach 7, with his age and all, its a bit too late for that....

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

The problem is Alpha by now he should have had more than 4 World Titles... to reach 7, with his age and all, its a bit too late for that....

What should or could have been doesn't matter. Ronnie is World Champion, that's good enough for me <cool> :-)

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

What should or could have been doesn't matter. Ronnie is World Champion, that's good enough for me <cool> :-)

Yeah absolutely, was just trying to answer to Alpha... But yeah, the only thing that matters is Ronnie being World Champion, and, also, prove many doubters wrong.... that for me is also very satisfying :D :D :D :D :D :-D :-D :-D :-D :happy: :happy:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

The day of truth for Ronnie really was the last Wednesday. He trailed 5-3 against the tournament favourite and I didn't know how he would react. What he played in that 2. session was superb. He played 3 flawless frames, Robbo looked shocked and was put under immense pressure that made him miss a lot of long pots. And the way he responed in the evening session after Robbo made it 9-8 was outstanding. That was vintage snooker under pressure, the best I have ever seen Ronnie play.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Yeah absolutely, was just trying to answer to Alpha... But yeah, the only thing that matters is Ronnie being World Champion, and, also, prove many doubters wrong.... that for me is also very satisfying :D :D :D :D :D :-D :-D :-D :-D :happy: :happy:

Maybe it's even better that Ronnie hasn't won so many World titles because so we can enjoy it even more every time he wins one.

Or do you think Hendry enjoyed his 4. title as much as Ronnie his 4. title?

If you win it every year it's nothing special :-D

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:The day of truth for Ronnie really was the last Wednesday. He trailed 5-3 against the tournament favourite and I didn't know how he would react. What he played in that 2. session was superb. He played 3 flawless frames, Robbo looked shocked and was put under immense pressure that made him miss a lot of long pots. And the way he responed in the evening session after Robbo made it 9-8 was outstanding. That was vintage snooker under pressure, the best I have ever seen Ronnie play.

That match was painful for me as a fan... I honestly thought I would, yet again, see a repeat of those last 2 quarters finals he had... but, like you said, Ronnie responded pretty well.. played flawless snooker.... I was so pleased :D :D :D

And when he won that match, I had a strong feeling he would win the title... he just had to come through that match, and I'm very happy he did and went on to won the whole thing...

Ronnie :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :-D :-D :-D :happy: :happy: :happy:

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Maybe it's even better that Ronnie hasn't won so many World titles because so we can enjoy it even more every time he wins one.

Or do you think Hendry enjoyed his 4. title as much as Ronnie his 4. title?

If you win it every year it's nothing special :-D

LOL... now that you mention his 4th World Title, which came in 1994... when the match ended.. if you didnt know who had won it... you would say it was White because he was smiling (annoyed in fact by Hendry beating him every year) and Hendry seemed to feel sory for Jimmy there, especially as it was Jimmy's birthday...

Postby jojo

every time ronnie needed to step up a gear he did the robertson example is a good one from 3-5 down and when robertson close to 9-8 again ronnie responded with flawless snooker

he won the key frames against carter to stop any carter fightback he just put his foot on the peddle when he need to it a special quality only the champions have williams had it higgins has it hendry had it davis had it these days to an extent robertson has it

ronnie can win ten world titles he can compete at the very highest level for a minimum of another ten years that isnt an exageration it more of an observation from what i see

hendry said yesterday ronnie can beat his record but it depend on if he want it because if he want it he can and i agree if ronnie stick around for another ten years he good enough to average one world title every two to three years which mean in ten years hell be on seven or eight world titles

he is a unique player his cue action is still the same now he a better player with all his experience know how and mental hold over other players his shot selection these last few months has been exemplary and his safety has been as good or better than a peak davis and higgins and i cant pay him a bigger compliment

his long pot isnt as consistent as it was and he not quite as quick as he was even though only by a fraction but those the only two negatives

Postby vodkadiet

This doctor is getting too much credit. The reality is if anyone had palyed half decent against O'Sullivan, he would have been struggling.

It is simply absurd to suggest O'Sullivan can win 8 world titles. If he was 26, and not 36, he would have a chance.

If you had never watched snooker and just heard Parrott and Davis talking you would be forgiven for thinking that O'Sullivan had just won his 20th world crown.

It certainly isn't the case, that if O'Sullivan wants it, he will break Hendry's record. He has wanted it for 20 years, and is only just half way to reaching that milestone of 8 world titles.

I wouldn't mind being a bookmaker taking bets on O'Sullivan winning 8! More chance of Armageddon happening by the end of the year!

I would say the standard of match play snooker is at an all time low at the moment.

Postby daraghj82

well done to ronnie. he was a joy to watch throughout the WC , similar to the 08WC . it was never in doubt. so many wrote him off but he proved once again once his head is right , then the snooker ability, class, talent etc. which he has will make up for the rest. carter fought well but it wasnt' going to be enough. its great that he is getting the help now which if he didnt' then he would not be wc now for a 4th time.

Postby freakmoomin

Congrats Ronnie!

Crap Tournament and crap final, but you deserve to have 4 alongside Higgins.

I think the 6 months off will do him the world of good to be honest, ronnie doesnt need the match practice, he needs a fresh head.

For the people who usually say that Hendry only won 7 because of a weak era....... if ROS or Higgins were to win another one or two worlds......would that suddenly mean that they played in a weak era?

anyway well deserved ronnie and done in 3rd gear!

Postby Andy Spark

Hendon at his best. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

that doesent meen torch has not been past ...

Ronnie is a Great Champion and he had another day in the Sun yesterday but time moves on younger players has to step up to the plate at some point.

Postby Roland

I don't see anything wrong with that comment either. It's what everyone was thinking at the time. Judd had Ronnie by the short and curlies early to mid-season.