Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Mon 7th of May) Final Disscusion !

Postby jojo

this hasnt been the most spectacular final of all time but that been down to carter who playing to his strengths you cant blame him because he have a job to do and it just about been working in this match and it been working for him this tournament so he wont feel the need to change

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:I reckon Ronnie will win the next session 5-3 or 6-2 and take a big lead into the evening session.

Should Ronnie win the next session it's virtually game over.

To be honest if it's 4-4 it's virtually game over.

Postby jojo

well ronnie has won both sessions so far although both sessions carter been limiting the damage to 5-3 and 5-4 you just feel ronnie is due one of his purple patch moments where he wins three or four really quick frames

although carter been stopping that from happening he is still three frames behind and ronnie wont care if he shares the rest of the frames it up to carter to make up the deficit and not just try to limit ronnie

Postby gallantrabbit

Carter can only do what he`s been doing but just do it better. His hands are tied. If he tries a shootout he`ll lose for sure.
So he has to restrict Ronnie`s chances even more and make more of his own chances. I`d like to see Carter win, but would only put your money on that outcome.

Postby PLtheRef

Skullman wrote:No on this day feature? :sad:

Anyway, c'mon Captain Carter, make a match of it! :D

On this day in 2001, Ronnie O'Sullivan converted a 10-6 overnight lead to defeat John Higgins 18-14 to win the first of currently three world titles.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17976745

:bowdown:

Given how the balls were when he began his break, that is one of the best I've ever seen... simply genious at work

Ronnie seems to like those challenge frames... when pink and black are out of commission and he has to play the blue or baulk colours all the time... in those types of breaks, for me he is the best ever :D :D :D

Postby PLtheRef

Going to be an interesting conclusion to the final, that's for certain. It would appear that predictions around the 18-12 mark are likely to be accurate. I think that 15-10 tomorrow afternoon for an 18-12 finish is a decent shout. If Ronnie wins tomorrow afternoon 6-2 then from 16-9 I reckon he can polish the two off and finish the match 18-9.

That said, if Ronnie wins the session 8-0 then I get to see him lift the trophy an 18-7 winner ;)

Today Ali has won the frames he needs to keep in touch, namely the frames to go 7-5, 9-6 and 10-7. That's admirable on his part and shows the determination he has. The problem is that there will be more of these frames the closer Ronnie gets to the winning line.

If the session is shared then from 14-11 you would still give Ali some sort of remote chance but you would think he would have to get back to 15-14 going into the final final session.

Postby vodkadiet

That was a great clearance by O'Sullivan, but I find the dead part of frames irrelevant(when the frame is already won), and would class a difficult clearance to win a frame on pink on black better than that showboating.

I prefer substance snooker to that of style.

That break to me sums up why O'Sullivan is overrated. Everyone focuses on that 5 minutes of brilliance rather than the overall standard of his play for the day.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:That was a great clearance by O'Sullivan, but I find the dead part of frames irrelevant(when the frame is already won), and would class a difficult clearance to win a frame on pink on black better than that showboating.

I prefer substance snooker to that of style.

That break to me sums up why O'Sullivan is overrated. Everyone focuses on that 5 minutes of brilliance rather than the overall standard of his play for the day.

And you seem to discredit Ronnie everytime just because you dont like him.. not many players in the World could have pulled that clearance off... and, following your logic, if substance is the only thing that matters, rather than style, then there wouldnt be any century breaks in the World..once a player reaches 80 for instance, following your stupid logic, then they might as well do a Mark Williams and miss on purpose.. because what counts is the frame being won (substance) rather than a stylish century right?

<doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby Andre147

And Ronnie does indeed play some wonderful canons when he is constructing his breaks... 2nd on the all time list of century makers tells you something? you don't make a century or indeed a big 80 odd break with only stylish play, but you seem to be too ignorant to even understand that <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby Andre147

And of course Ronnie didnt play brilliant snooker in all frames... but his matchplay snooker was superb and that was putting Carter under pressure because he knows if he misses, Ronnie will come straight back and clear up.

Some of his safety was just wonderful... Mind you, Carter's safety was also very good.. but he made far too many elementary mistakes when in amongst the balls.... two missed black off its spot in the 2nd session... but for me is worst department so far has been his cue ball control..... it has been all over the place... and that is why he is missing pots.. because he cant control the cue ball, and therefore starts missing difficult pots because of that. When you can't control the cue ball, you can't control the game, simple as that.

Re: World Championship (Mon 7th of May) Final Discussion !

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Carter can only do what he`s been doing but just do it better.

yes nothing at all wrong in his tactics hes just been rubbish at exploiting the chances hes been given.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Carter can only do what he`s been doing but just do it better.

yes nothing at all wrong in his tactics hes just been rubbish at exploiting the chances hes been given.

That's a Ronnie vs Ali Carter match for you.

Postby Casey

Carter has done well to stay with Ronnie - However I don't think he can win 3 or 4 frames on the spin with these tactics.

Ronnie knows how to win this match, ride out the long frames because he will get enough chances to win the match.

Postby Smart

Andre147 wrote:
Sonny wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17976745

:bowdown:

Given how the balls were when he began his break, that is one of the best I've ever seen... simply genious at work

Ronnie seems to like those challenge frames... when pink and black are out of commission and he has to play the blue or baulk colours all the time... in those types of breaks, for me he is the best ever :D :D :D

couple of browns in that break :bowdown:

Postby Skullman

PLtheRef wrote:
Skullman wrote:No on this day feature? :sad:

Anyway, c'mon Captain Carter, make a match of it! :D

On this day in 2001, Ronnie O'Sullivan converted a 10-6 overnight lead to defeat John Higgins 18-14 to win the first of currently three world titles.

Do you and Wild just remember these dates or do you get from somewhere?

Postby mantorok

The match last night was a lot better than people were making out, both players weren't giving an inch, there were safety battles in nearly every frame and a result of that is that balls go awkward so you are not going to get free-flowing snooker.

Unfortunatley for Carter it looks like Ronnie will go to any lengths to win this, he completely embraced the tactical side of the game last night and matched Carter shot for shot, and if they carry on as they have done then Ronnie will reach 18 first - simple.

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:I reckon Ronnie will win the next session 5-3 or 6-2 and take a big lead into the evening session.

Should Ronnie win the next session it's virtually game over.

To be honest if it's 4-4 it's virtually game over.

Precisely, Ronnie just needs to keep sharing frames and he's won, the chances of Carter winning a session are going to become more and more slim as they reach the finish line, he didn't show that much bottle last night, just good safety play.