Topic locked

Please win Ronnie

Postby Casey

Some might not have expected me to route for Ronnie to win the final, but I can put my own thoughts to one side for the sake of this tournament.

Ronnie must beat Carter for the integrity of the tournament – enough said.

Re: Please win Ronnie

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:Some might not have expected me to route for Ronnie to win the final, but I can put my own thoughts to one side for the sake of this tournament.

EBDON HATER :grrr:

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:Some might not have expected me to route for Ronnie to win the final, but I can put my own thoughts to one side for the sake of this tournament.

<doh>

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

<doh>

and i presume we can expect that youll be lending your support to that fellow CDL then <doh>

Postby jojo

case you know i got no gripe with you pal but you support higgins and then bring in integrity something not right here

as for the final i been saying since february march ronnie will win this title but if carter win then i give him respect he will deserve it

higgins doesnt win pretty most of the time his style of play and demeanour is dull but effective and carter ok at a much lower level than higgins he been doing the same

carter not in the same league as higgins but carter been playing like a mini higgins when higgins not playing well ie like last year to win the tournament

anyway ronnie will win something like 18-12 carter will get a few more frames than in 2008 as he better equipped but ronnie will be comfortable throughout the match never being in danger

Postby Skullman

What's wrong with Carter winning? If he beats Ronnie he deserves it.

Postby Roland

It's true and he is a very good player. I think his refusal to take on certain pots hasn't won him round to a lot of snooker fans, and to be honest his grumbling and scowling generally and in particular during the match against Judd rubbed people up the wrong way including me. I won't be happy if he wins but if he does then he deserves it like all World Champions do. I'll be cheering for Ronnie though.

Postby Skullman

Sonny wrote:It's true and he is a very good player. I think his refusal to take on certain pots hasn't won him round to a lot of snooker fans, and to be honest his grumbling and scowling generally and in particular during the match against Judd rubbed people up the wrong way including me. I won't be happy if he wins but if he does then he deserves it like all World Champions do. I'll be cheering for Ronnie though.

It's not like Selby's never turned down a pot he thought he couldn't get. Mags pushed the boat too much this match and look where it got him. Although the scowling isn't great. At least with Maguire he's angry at himself, while Carter seems to be angry at everyone but himself.

Postby Roland

Carter's always been like that. He reminds me of Joe Swail who was the same. It fires them up to win because they always feel hard done by which is why they win, but it doesn't warm them to the public. Unless they've had an illness like Chrone's or are partially deaf then the public will love them. Oh...hang on

Postby jojo

im not criticising carter for his style of play because it his choice and other players been using the same style to good effect in the past however the point im making is he not producing it to anywhere near the standard other players have done and once he come up against a decent tactical player he will be found out almost straight away

carter is not some kind of matchplay magician like he seem to be making out especially the way he talk after beating judd

i see so many times when the table was open yet carter could only make twenty or thirty before having to play safe he was needing three or four clear scoring visits whereas most other players would need one

that isnt top quality match play it just a player who cant score heavy

yes he play some safety shots at the start and middle of frames but he been playing judd who goes for everything as carter was quick to point out likewise maguire also go for everything and jones is still raw in the sense that this is his first taste in the big time and tactical play is the last side of the game you learn it come with experience

so dont give me this carters great matchplay bullocks he will be found out against a higgins selby robertson williams o sullivan

oh hold on he playing o sullivan tomorrow

count the number of times one where o sullivan wins the safety battle at the start and middle of frames and two the number of times carter breaks down with the table open along with the blue pink and black available

one thing is for sure i will lose count on both

Postby nice_shoes_ken

I think Carter has been very clever with his matchplay this year, he has sometimes played boring but it has always paid off.

And when there is a good chance for him to get in, he takes it and makes a good break.

Ebdon has given him various tactics probably and most of which are probably too slow the opponent down. Which Carter has done very well, some people will never take to his gameplay, some people go beyond extremes and call him all different names under the sun, my mate being one who used the C word to describe Ali.

If he wins he will throughly deserve it, unexpected but would be deserved. Just thinking what Witz would do if he did win though...ummmm

Postby Roland

From what I've seen Carter can mop up the points when they are all there but when it gets a bit tough or when the heat is on he messes up and runs for cover. I agree with you jojo, I think Jones should've had him but took on one too many at 12-11 and left an easy table for Carter when he is most efficient. I think Maguire didn't get the run in the first session and was trying to make things happen and Carter mopped up when he went for that one shot too many. I think Trump should've had him certainly from 12-9, and he'll probably still be wondering how he managed to lose. I think any comparison between Selby and Carter is completely inaccurate, Selby is a born match-player where Carter seems to be a manufactured one. I do remember Carter playing very well to beat Selby in the Shanghai semi-final so he does have the game to win the big one, but he wasn't playing this negative "refuse everything unless you have a back up plan for cover" policy which he's only developed in this tournament.

Postby jojo

another thing about carters so called matchplay is how often has he actually played a telling safety shot this tournament ? the like which really give you the upper hand over your opponent leaving them in all sorts of trouble

dont remember seeing many of these at all from carter to be honest he just playing decent safety and his opponent going for pots or not being able to come back with a matching safety purely because it not their strong point ie jamie jones

the likes of maguire and judd push the boat out and that was carters gameplan and it work so he cant be criticised for that but as long as ronnie doesnt get frustrated he will comfortably deal with carters so called matchplay without breaking sweat

Postby Roland

That's the spirit, he's gotta have someone shouting for him. What better reason than the county he comes from? :redneck:

Hang on, isn't Ronnie an Essex lad too?

Postby jojo

nothing to do with people hating carter so no need to buck anyone

he just wont be a very good matchplayer against the big boys who know how to mix it up that will be proved when he come up against them and one of them is ronnie tomorrow

no need to be shoofting anyone just because they not being complimentary about your favourite player

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:From what I've seen Carter can mop up the points when they are all there but when it gets a bit tough or when the heat is on he messes up and runs for cover. I agree with you jojo, I think Jones should've had him but took on one too many at 12-11 and left an easy table for Carter when he is most efficient. I think Maguire didn't get the run in the first session and was trying to make things happen and Carter mopped up when he went for that one shot too many. I think Trump should've had him certainly from 12-9, and he'll probably still be wondering how he managed to lose. I think any comparison between Selby and Carter is completely inaccurate, Selby is a born match-player where Carter seems to be a manufactured one. I do remember Carter playing very well to beat Selby in the Shanghai semi-final so he does have the game to win the big one, but he wasn't playing this negative "refuse everything unless you have a back up plan for cover" policy which he's only developed in this tournament.

you used the word "manufactured" in your post. I hold the trademark over that word.......expect a call from my solicitors on Tuesday morning. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:It's true and he is a very good player. I think his refusal to take on certain pots hasn't won him round to a lot of snooker fans, and to be honest his grumbling and scowling generally and in particular during the match against Judd rubbed people up the wrong way including me. I won't be happy if he wins but if he does then he deserves it like all World Champions do. I'll be cheering for Ronnie though.

He hasn't won over the fans because he's got the charisma of a dead fish. At least Ronnie, though I hate him I have more of an opinion on him on Carter. Whether I want Carter to win or lose depends on who he's playing, not on anything he does.

Though, I would like to see a new name on the trophy this year, so there is that.

Postby Smart

I think any notion that Carter is playing super matchplay is ridiculous, all he has done is play a conservative brand of snooker - and mopped up when has had to. He has not been breathtaking in safety exchanges, lets not kid ourselves here. I think he will do marginally better than his 18-8 loss last time round but he aint in ROS class for safety or breakbuilding or pressure clearances. :no:

Postby simplysnooker

Erm... I think so Sonny :D

I don't understand the rubbish Carter is getting, whoever wins the tournament I would still say he has had the best tournament, who would have said he'd be in the final after the season that he's had?

Postby randam05

Sonny wrote:Carter's always been like that. He reminds me of Joe Swail who was the same. It fires them up to win because they always feel hard done by which is why they win, but it doesn't warm them to the public. Unless they've had an illness like Chrone's or are partially deaf then the public will love them. Oh...hang on

Speaking of Joe swail.

Hes been one of my favourite players since I began watching, and to see him drop of the tour was sad, so I casually posted on his facebook wall about whether he would make a return and stuff.

He then sent me a very nice long private message :-)

:hatoff: Legend

Postby randam05

Ive enjoyed watching Carter for a change this year. Dont know why...

Postby Alex0paul

randam05 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Carter's always been like that. He reminds me of Joe Swail who was the same. It fires them up to win because they always feel hard done by which is why they win, but it doesn't warm them to the public. Unless they've had an illness like Chrone's or are partially deaf then the public will love them. Oh...hang on

Speaking of Joe swail.

Hes been one of my favourite players since I began watching, and to see him drop of the tour was sad, so I casually posted on his facebook wall about whether he would make a return and stuff.

Absolute legend. Did he say why he wasn't going to enter Q School?

Postby vodkadiet

These are probably the 2 players I dislike most in snooker so it is hard for me to have a care who wins.

Logic says Rigsby will win, but if Carter has a good run of the ball, and can believe in himself more than ever before against the arrogant one, then he could win.

Postby randam05

Alex0paul wrote:
randam05 wrote:

Speaking of Joe swail.

Absolute legend. Did he say why he wasn't going to enter Q School?

Glad someone agrees! Such a shame to see him have such a bad season. This is what he said regards to Q school...

''hi jake,many thanks for your message,as regards to your question i didnt enter the q school as i needed some time away from the game,thank you for your continued support and hope to be back playing in the not too distant future.Joe x''

Postby Alex0paul

What a guy. He was my favourite player when I first started watching snooker, even pulled sickies from school just to watch him play lol.

Postby randam05

Alex0paul wrote:What a guy. He was my favourite player when I first started watching snooker, even pulled sickies from school just to watch him play lol.

Serious? <laugh>

I would have loved to seen him in his prime when he was a top 16er and playing at every venue.

My best memories of him were him vs Liang, and his good little spell at the german masters last year.

He is brilliant

Postby Alex0paul

randam05 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:What a guy. He was my favourite player when I first started watching snooker, even pulled sickies from school just to watch him play lol.

Serious? <laugh>

I would have loved to seen him in his prime when he was a top 16er and playing at every venue.

My best memories of him were him vs Liang, and his good little spell at the german masters last year.

He is brilliant

Yep but they always showed the other match as it was the days before the red button.