Topic locked

World Championship (Sat 5th of May) S Final Disscusion !

Postby Wildey

Saturday 21st of April- Monday 7th of May at the Crucible Theatre,Sheffield

Wednesday 2nd of May

10am

Ronnie O'Sullivan 11-5 Matthew Stevens

2.30pm

Stephen Maguire 10-14 Ali Carter to a finish

7pm

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Matthew Stevens to a finish

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: World Championship (Sat 5th of May) S Final Disscusion !

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:ON THIS DAY IN 2011

Wild swore 2.478 times

Snookerfan ate 5 kebabs and a 24 inch pizza

Smart did a teapot with his wrist

Was Snookerfan on a diet this time last year?!!

:gag:
Last edited by vodkadiet on 04 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

jojo wrote:ronnie may even finish off the job in the morning he need six more frames it possible and i think hell have that in mind

Maybe jojo... but I think that session might finish 5-3 to Ronnie again... and wouldnt be that bad.. he would have to come for the evening one yes, but at 16-8 would only require one more, and could even win the first one in 10 min....

Think Matt will still try to put up a fight, but I'm afraid it's too late for that... may win 3 or 4 frames in the morning, because Ronnie isnt a particular fan of morning sessions either...

Not as bad as Williams is though :john:

Postby jojo

well before the match i thought it was going to be 16-8 ronnie going into the final session so it not too bad

if ronnie win the first two frames tomorrow it will finish before the evening session as ronnie wouldnt want to come back to finish off the job in the evening

Postby Witz78

Muppet147 wrote:It was good to see Ronnie on the top of his game today. I thought it would be a lot closer when Stevens made that excellent 63 clearance to win on the black in the second frame. But that didn't faze Ronnie at all and he just got stronger and stronger.

PHASE :wave:

Postby jojo

the sad thing is if it did go close there was still only going to be one winner because stevens would have started to make more and more mistakes close to the winning line

it 12-4 in head to head and im sure his head to head against carter is something like 12-0 carter never beaten him

as for maguire again it very one sided something like 15-5 or similar

it safe to say ronnie will have his fourth world title on monday

Postby The Cueist

Muppet147 wrote:It was good to see Ronnie on the top of his game today. I thought it would be a lot closer when Stevens made that excellent 63 clearance to win on the black in the second frame. But that didn't faze Ronnie at all and he just got stronger and stronger.

Exactly ,Playing to a high standard and not letting any B/S get in the way,Harder minded and sharper eyed than i haves seen him in a long old time.

As a fan i am very happy to see him in this mode. <ok>

Postby Muppet147

Witz78 wrote:

You're a half-wit.

Postby Muppet147

The Cueist wrote:

Exactly ,Playing to a high standard and not letting any B/S get in the way,Harder minded and sharper eyed than i haves seen him in a long old time.

Me too. I can't see anyone beating him. Even when he's not cueing well, he seems willing to really apply himself as he did on Thursday night.

Postby Alex0paul

Witz78 wrote:

:no:

Faze - to disconcert; worry; disturb

Phase - A distinct stage of development

Postby The Cueist

Muppet147 wrote:
The Cueist wrote:

Me too. I can't see anyone beating him. Even when he's not cueing well, he seems willing to really apply himself as he did on Thursday night.

Spot on with your observations mate,Applying himself,What a difference that makes. ;-)

Postby gallantrabbit

Ronnie has been superb throughout the tourney and it`s hard to see past him for the title. I always thought Stevens would get little from this match and was surprised it was 5-3 yestarday from 4-0.
Carter has had a great tourney but I think Maguire might just sleep easier than him tonight. From 14-7 he`ll hate being only 4 up over night. Maguire is due a real scoring spree and if he can win the first two tomorrow Ali will be under the cosh.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

well done witz trying to correct a spelling that was already correct :clap: :clap: <doh> <doh>

Postby jojo

of the two players maguire is stronger and im not ruling out a decider

however who win in the decider is anyones guess as i cant see either player winning without having at least three scoring chances

both have a history of struggling to fall over the line and it going to be like this tomorrow which will be good for the tournament having a close finish because the other semi and final will not be anywhere near close

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

well done witz trying to correct a spelling that was already correct :clap: :clap: <doh> <doh>

egg on yer face yet again mate unlike Milliband thanks to that idiots bad aim <doh>

i wasnt trying to correct the spelling <doh>

Postby DavieMac

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Maguire kept the match alive and gave Carter something to think about. Ali still big favourite of course but if Stephen can win the first two he will put Carter under huge pressure.

Dont see it but hopefully. He was far too naive in the 1st 2 sessions taking on too many gung-ho shots and that played into Carter's plan... also he has only been half decent in his matches so far. I reckon he could've done with a tough close match to get him tuned in. Alas, he never.

I dont often support Ronnie but if its Carter then I hope Ronnie destroys him. Which he will.

Postby Andre147

The Cueist wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
The Cueist wrote:

Spot on with your observations mate,Applying himself,What a difference that makes. ;-)

Yeah agree, he doesnt let his head down if things arent going his way, and just waits for a better opportunity... his safety game is as good as I've ever seen from him... probably as good as when he won here in 2008, when he was also leaving opponents always tight on baulk cushion... and his scoring and breakbuilding has been supreme too... :-D :-D

I will be very unhappy and upset if Ronnie doesnt win this title from here.. it's definately his to lose...

He is likely to face Carter, and if he does I reckon it will be a harder match for him than the 2008 one, because Ali has a better all round game (courtsey of Ebdon maybe) and will try to slow the pace down if he sees Ronnie starting to run away with it. But I fully expect Ronnie to win nevertheless.

Postby PLtheRef

The result of tomorrow morning will shape the afternoon. Personally I don't think Ronnie won't do any worse now than 17 - 8 though a 17 - 5, 17 - 6, or 17 - 7 is most definitely possible. With that in mind, Ali would no doubt be keen on winning it 17 - 10, however that could almost be what holds him back - if Matthew makes a recovery which makes Ronnie have to work his way over the line, e.g. Matthew closes the gap to 14 - 10 then it may relax Carter.

Maguire doesn't have any real scars against Ronnie barring the UK 10 - 2 hiding. I would certainly anticpate a much closer final this year regardless.

Postby Andre147

DavieMac wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Maguire kept the match alive and gave Carter something to think about. Ali still big favourite of course but if Stephen can win the first two he will put Carter under huge pressure.

Dont see it but hopefully. He was far too naive in the 1st 2 sessions taking on too many gung-ho shots and that played into Carter's plan... also he has only been half decent in his matches so far. I reckon he could've done with a tough close match to get him tuned in. Alas, he never.

I dont often support Ronnie but if its Carter then I hope Ronnie destroys him. Which he will.

A bit of revenge in there if Carter beats your favourite player? :john: :john: :john: But, if somehow Mags comes through that match and faces Ronnie in that kind of form, Ronnie will also steamroll past him :-D I reckon Mags will only have a chance against Ronnie if he plays snooker like German Masters final 1st session. And even that might not be good enough, as Ronnie proved there with his comeback capabilities.

Postby DavieMac

Andre147 wrote:
DavieMac wrote:

A bit of revenge in there if Carter beats your favourite player? :john: :john: :john: But, if somehow Mags comes through that match and faces Ronnie in that kind of form, Ronnie will also steamroll past him :-D I reckon Mags will only have a chance against Ronnie if he plays snooker like German Masters final 1st session. And even that might not be good enough, as Ronnie proved there with his comeback capabilities.

You catch on quick :spot on:

Carter has been ultra negative throughout and thats the main reason. A shot has never astonished me as much as Carter playing into the back of the pack when he was well clear of the cushion and could clearly see the edge of the pack and played into the back of the pack.

Plus Ronnie is too good not to have at least 4 WC's.