Post a reply

From Mark Selby's blog...

Postby Monique

http://www.markselby.info/blog.html?#item12957-24787
Tue, 23 Mar 2010
At least it's not a slow boat to China

I fly out to China on Thursday for my second visit there in the space of a couple of weeks. I was there a fortnight ago to sign a two-year sponsorship deal with the Rising Dragon Group, who are also known as Old World. Now I’m heading back for the China Open in Beijing, with my opening-round match next Wednesday. Never mind being a jet-setter, more like jet-lagger!
I spent a week out there last time. As part of the deal, I played in some exhibitions and did some promotional work. I also played a few young Chinese players in best-of-nine matches which were live on TV. About 10 different channels showed the matches, so I’d love to know what the viewing figures were. Hopefully I’ll find out in the next couple of days, because I’m sure there would have been a fair few watching. They love their snooker in China and the crowds at tournaments are always very well supported.
The sponsorship is a welcome boost. You don’t want to be thinking about the financial side of things all the time, you just want to get your head down and play snooker. But this season we’ve only had six tournaments and there isn’t as much prize money around, so any extra bit of income helps take off the pressure.
I don’t know as yet who I will be playing in my first-round match next week. It’s either Rod Lawler or Supoj Saenla, who meet each other in the wildcard round.
Supoj is an unknown quantity. I don’t know anything about him, other than he spent a season on the main tour a couple of years ago before falling off. Lawler has been around for a long time and must be playing well to have qualified, especially as he beat Ricky Walden in his last qualifying match.
Either player will be tough, all matches are these days. But I’ve been preparing well and putting in all the hours I can on the practice table, and I will go to China feeling very confident. Hopefully I can go all the way, and that would be the perfect build-up to the Word Championships.
There has been some talk lately that the World Championships are too long. Some views are that 17 days could be reduced to 12, or that some matches should have fewer frames. I don’t agree, it’s been working very well for so many years now and is the absolute pinnacle of our sport. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
There is nothing wrong with the format as it is, it’s the World Championships and matches have to be played over the longer distances, otherwise it would be more of a lottery if they were played over fewer frames. It has to be a true test. The first to seven would be too short. You get some great matches over the best of 19, and no-one is guaranteed to win. There are still plenty of shocks over the longer matches.
The one area I would look at would be the start times, especially the final. The last few years have seen some very late finishes, so bringing the start time of each session forward an hour or so would be a great help. It can’t all be about the viewing figures – it’s about the players as well, it’s our livelihood and so much is at stake.
I was interested to hear recently that our new chairman, Barry Hearn, has called some players lazy and that he wants us to work hard for our living. I couldn’t agree more and look forward to his promise that there are going to be plenty more tournaments for us to play.
I for one will want to play in them all. The prize money won’t be extravagant, but if there are a further 20 tournaments held over weekends, all you’ve got to do is win two or three of them and that will be a few quid more than we would earn sitting around doing nothing! And failing that, it will be good practice and will help keep you match-sharp.
The future looks good under Hearn. You only have to see what he has done to darts. A few years ago, I would never have said that darts would be more popular than snooker, but the way he has transformed it has been fantastic. If he can do the same to snooker, then we could be on to a real winner. He has already attracted sponsors for the last couple of tournaments, which was a major bonus. I can’t fault him so far, he is delivering the goods.
*There are some pictures from my trip to China in the Personal section of the Gallery. I also have some video footage which I will try to upload. Keep your eyes peeled!

Re: From Mark Selby's blog...

Postby Bourne

I remember he was in the CL final last year so had less time to prepare and didn't play so well there, might do better this time with more preparation.

Postby Casey

Cheers Monique <ok>

Mark seems really up for this tournament, no doubt he will be desperate to finish the season inside the top 8. We have seen we Robbo how difficult thing can be if you fail to do it

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:I remember he was in the CL final last year so had less time to prepare and didn't play so well there, might do better this time with more preparation.

I don't think it was the CL per se that was a problem. The CL is actually good paid practice. But Mark is one of those persons who don't cope well with jet-lag and probably he couldn't get there as early as he would have wanted and needed to.

Postby Bourne

Monique wrote:
Bourne wrote:I remember he was in the CL final last year so had less time to prepare and didn't play so well there, might do better this time with more preparation.

I don't think it was the CL per se that was a problem. The CL is actually good paid practice. But Mark is one of those persons who don't cope well with jet-lag and probably he couldn't get there as early as he would have wanted and needed to.

That's what I said, he had less time to prepare.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Nice to read that he is going out there to win, plenty of time in between his flight & his first match (Thursday-Wednesday) too.

I might check what price he is in the bookies & have a punt. <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Nice to read that he is going out there to win, plenty of time in between his flight & his first match (Thursday-Wednesday) too.

The same year Dott won in China he was out there a few weeks earlier doing exhibitions in Mongolia and China so maybe Selby can do the same and acclimatise.

Postby Bourne

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Nice to read that he is going out there to win, plenty of time in between his flight & his first match (Thursday-Wednesday) too.

Meets Ding in R2 and then Robbo in QF I believe ... tricky !

Bourne wrote:

Interesting. I hope that is reflected in the price he'll be.

Postby Casey

Its 12 years since someone won the event before the WC and the WC in the same season. Will this year be any different?

On this note would it not be better to have the penultimate event closer to Sheffield? i.e mainland Europe or the UK? It might make it a bit easier on the players.

Postby Smart

case_master wc wrote:Its 12 years since someone won the event before the WC and the WC in the same season. Will this year be any different?

On this note would it not be better to have the penultimate event closer to Sheffield? i.e mainland Europe or the UK? It might make it a bit easier on the players.

perhaps play it in Rochdale <laugh>

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wc wrote:Its 12 years since someone won the event before the WC and the WC in the same season. Will this year be any different?

<laugh>

Tickets only available on ebay

Postby Bourne

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Bourne wrote:

Bookies can never really work out who to make 3rd fave these days, but he has that role this time.

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:

<laugh>

Postby Roland

"There is nothing wrong with the format as it is, it’s the World Championships and matches have to be played over the longer distances, otherwise it would be more of a lottery if they were played over fewer frames. It has to be a true test. The first to seven would be too short. You get some great matches over the best of 19, and no-one is guaranteed to win. There are still plenty of shocks over the longer matches.
The one area I would look at would be the start times, especially the final. "

That's almost word for word what I've been saying.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:"There is nothing wrong with the format as it is, it’s the World Championships and matches have to be played over the longer distances, otherwise it would be more of a lottery if they were played over fewer frames. It has to be a true test. The first to seven would be too short. You get some great matches over the best of 19, and no-one is guaranteed to win. There are still plenty of shocks over the longer matches.

I think Sonny and Selby are the same person....... <ok>

Bourne wrote:
Bourne wrote:

Bookies can never really work out who to make 3rd fave these days, but he has that role this time.

After ROS & John Higgins then I take it. Probably looking at 6 or 7/1 then. :chin:

Postby Bourne

Bourne wrote:
Bourne wrote:

After ROS & John Higgins then I take it. Probably looking at 6 or 7/1 then. :chin:

15/2 at one firm ... don' know if you're a betfair user but there's 9.6 available there at the mo. <ok>

Bourne wrote:15/2 at one firm ... don' know if you're a betfair user but there's 9.6 available there at the mo. <ok>

Top Man. <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
Sonny wrote:"There is nothing wrong with the format as it is, it’s the World Championships and matches have to be played over the longer distances, otherwise it would be more of a lottery if they were played over fewer frames. It has to be a true test. The first to seven would be too short. You get some great matches over the best of 19, and no-one is guaranteed to win. There are still plenty of shocks over the longer matches.

I think Sonny and Selby are the same person....... <ok>

naaaa selby doesn't look at pictures of mark williams as a kid <laugh>

Bourne wrote:15/2 at one firm ... don' know if you're a betfair user but there's 9.6 available there at the mo. <ok>

Top Man. <ok>

Just took the 9.6 <ok>

Postby Bourne

Top Man. <ok>

Just took the 9.6 <ok>

£17 ?

Bourne wrote:

Top Man. <ok>

Just took the 9.6 <ok>

£17 ?

How do you mean, what I put on? If so, I had €9.40 left in my account & put that on.

Postby Bourne

Bourne wrote:

Top Man. <ok>

Just took the 9.6 <ok>

£17 ?

How do you mean, what I put on? If so, I had €9.40 left in my account & put that on.

Ah okay <ok>