Post a reply

Stephen Hendry 1985-2012

Postby Alex0paul

STEPHEN HENDRY RETIRES
Stephen Hendry’s 2012 World Championship started with a maximum and ended with a 13-2 drubbing to Stephen Maguire and his retirement from tournament snooker.

This was a typically newsworthy tournament for Hendry, who at 43 has taken the decision to put away his cue for good.

He is still better than most players on the circuit but not good enough by his own imperious standards.

All the plaudits and accolades coming his way tonight are heartfelt and well deserved but Hendry doesn’t need them. He has his unparalleled record of success to reflect on.

It was a surprise, spur of the moment Christmas present from his parents in 1982 which set the ball rolling for a remarkable career.

You don’t need me to recount the wins and the moments which have defined an entire snooker era.

Suffice to say that Hendry can walk away from his playing career with his head held high as the player whose achievements all others are still aiming for.

He was a truly driven individual who never allowed himself to get comfortable. Once he won a tournament he targeted the next one.

He once won five ranking events in succession. He was a relentless scoring machine who pioneered the modern, attacking era in which we now live.

As a man he has always been something of an enigma. It wasn’t only on the table where he kept his emotions hidden.

I’ve seen him rendered speechless by defeat but in his dealings with the media and in his role as a snooker legend he has been a great ambassador for the sport.

Like Steve Davis before him he has made the sacrifices necessary to be the best. Unlike Davis, though, he isn’t in love with playing but winning.

He has decided that he can no longer consistently produce a standard with which he is happy. His retirement is therefore understandable if regrettable. In many ways it is admirable. He is a realist. He has accepted his fate.

Ask any snooker player of the last 20 years and they will have nothing but respect for Hendry. His achievements will stand in time.

Good luck to him in the future. He will be working in China, will doubtless do BBC commentary and undertake exhibitions.

But there’s nothing like the visceral thrill of playing. And Stephen Hendry has thrilled many of us over the years with his talent, his guts, his uncompromising game.

He has chosen not to rage against the dying of the light by slogging around qualifiers but to make a typically dignified, unfussy exit from the stage he once owned.

This is surely the final triumph of the game’s greatest champion.

World Championship Wins; 7
1990 18-12 v Jimmy White
1992 18-14 v Jimmy White
1993 18-5 v Jimmy White
1994 18-17 v Jimmy White
1995 18-9 v Nigel Bond
1996 18-12 v Peter Ebdon
1999 18-11 v Mark J Williams

Masters Wins; 6
1989 9-6 v John Parrott
1990 9-4 v John Parrott
1991 9-8 v Mike Hallett
1992 9-4 v John Parrott
1993 9-5 v James Wattana
1996 10-5 v Ronnie O'Sullivan

UK Championship Wins; 5
1989 16-12 v Steve Davis
1990 16-15 v Steve Davis
1994 10-5 v Ken Doherty
1995 10-3 v Peter Ebdon
1996 10-9 v John Higgins

Ranking Event Wins; 24
1987 Grand Prix 10-7 v Dennis Taylor
1988 British Open 13-2 v Mike Hallett
1989 Asian Open 9-2 v James Wattana
1989 Dubai Classic 9-2 v Doug Mountjoy
1990 Grand Prix 10-5 v Nigel Bond
1990 Asian Open 9-3 v Dennis Taylor
1990 Dubai Classic 9-1 v Steve Davis
1991 British Open 9-8 v Gary Wilkinson
1991 Grand Prix 10-6 v Steve Davis
1992 Welsh Open 9-3 v Darren Morgan
1993 International Open 10-6 v Steve Davis
1993 Dubai Classic 9-3 v Steve Davis
1993 European Open 9-5 v Ronnie O'Sullivan
1994 European Open 9-3 v John Parrott
1995 Grand Prix 9-5 v John Higgins
1997 Welsh Open 9-2 v Mark King
1997 International Open 9-1 v Tony Drago
1998 Thailand Masters 9-6 v John Parrott
1999 Scottish Open 9-1 v Graeme Dott
1999 British Open 9-1 v Peter Ebdon
2001 European Open 9-2 v Joe Perry
2003 Welsh Open 9-5 v Mark J Williams
2003 British Open 9-6 v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2005 Malta Cup 9-7 v Graeme Dott

147s; 11
1992 Matchroom League v Willie Thorne
1995 World Championship v Jimmy White
1995 UK Championship v Gary Wilkinson
1997 Charity Challenge v Ronnie O'Sullivan
1998 Premier League v Ken Doherty
1999 British Open v Peter Ebdon
1999 UK Championship v Paul Wykes
2001 Malta Grand Prix v Mark J Williams
2009 World Championship v Shaun Murphy
2011 Welsh Open v Stephen Maguire
2012 World Championship v Stuart Bingham

World Number 1; 9 years 1990-1998, 2006-2007

Career Prize Money; £8,970,000

Career Centuries; 775

Neil Robertson wrote:A sad day for snooker as our greatest champion Stephen Hendry retires. Wish him all the best

Matthew Stevens wrote:Will miss Hendry being on tour, what a legend

Michaela Tabb wrote:Best wishes to Stephen Hendry after announcing his retirement from snooker tonight, a REAL legend forever!!!!!

Dennis Taylor wrote:Stephen Hendry won his first major against me in 1987 . Great memory for me to cherish. Your the man Stephen!!

Shaun Murphy wrote:When Jack Nicklaus retired, the RBS gave him his own commemorative bank note. Hope they do the same for Stephen Hendry

John Virgo wrote:The record books will tell you what Stephen Hendry was
Last edited by Alex0paul on 02 May 2012, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Hendry Retires

Postby PLtheRef

Confirmed. Sad to see, that's why he was enjoying it in the arena so much. He knew it was final time as a player there.

Postby Casey

GOAT of the game.

He gave his fans one last cheer with the 147 - remarkable sportsman, fantastic career. No finer player to pick up a cue, can't play him a bigger compliment than that.

Postby Skullman

Suddenly explains why he had playing so well recently. I think he wanted to go out with a bang, and excluding today's match, he has.

Postby Alex0paul

Makes seeing that 147 all the little bit more special

Hendry Retires

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Sorry to see him go but tbh he's not been a serious contender for years now. A man like Hendry would never play on like that. Ok humped in his last match but nice 147 to leave on a high :)

Postby Casey

Well he seems so content with his decision - makes me as a fan happier that he is in a good place. He didn't seem that bothered about the hammering by Maguire and focused on what went well in the event.

Well done Stephen, good luck in your future endeavours. :hatoff:

Postby Alex0paul

Wonder if he will enter the Pre-Qualifying rounds next year a la Parrott

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:hes away to China to prostitute himself cos he needs the cash

No hes accepted his best days behind him and hes Moving on unlike some that sees Playing in cubicles as some sort of career getting beat to any tom sausage or harry that will never reach the standard they played at naming no names but one talks bull on the BBC and the other thinks getting a testimonial was worth mentioning at the masters.

Stephen Hendry would never stoop that low he was and still is retiring as a Player not some sort of freak show for others to knock them down time after time for years.

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:I feel like ...............................fantastic :D

with respect mate no matter how many celebrations you make about him retiring he still gave Jimmy White a right pasting and defined his career as rubbish more than anyone else <ok>

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:I feel like ...............................fantastic :D

with respect mate no matter how many celebrations you make about him retiring he still gave Jimmy White a right pasting and defined his career as rubbish more than anyone else <ok>

the memories Jimmy has and the WAY he played and the fans he gained by the WAY he played prove it many times over, JImmy loved the game you love - hard pill to swallow but Jimmy played with more style and more passion. get over it :D

Sir James Brown won their 1st ever match at the Crucible and their last ever match at the Crucible

thats good enough for me :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Casey

This thread is about Stephen, not Jimmy or anybody else. Keep it clean.

Postby gallantrabbit

Hendry is juswing a little more of the immense bottle he had as a player. It takes a lot of bottle to accept your best days are behind you and you don`t want to play at a lower level. IMO he could knucle down, practise, change his game a little and still compete in the quarter final stages more. But he has other things going on in his life and he`s achieved so much in the game he doesn`t need it anymore. It`s no coincidence how Hendry`and Davis`s careers have followed similar patterns till now. ie winning very little a short time after absolute domination. For these guys it`s no good playing at 85%. 100% or nothing. The Legends will be happy for his permanent inclusion. Still think you could have let Jimmy have one you greedy git...

Postby Skullman

But Davis can accept less than 100%. He's been less than 100% for well over a decade and still he continues.

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:But Davis can accept less than 100%. He's been less than 100% for well over a decade and still he continues.

Hendry was less than 100% for over a decade and he continued so its total BS for anyone (Wild :emb: ) to suggest Hendry isnt lowering himself to the likes of Davis and playing on past his peak etc.

Re: Stephen Hendry 1985-2012

Postby Roland

Good article thanks Alex. Numerous posts deleted. Show some respect to the greatest snooker player who has ever lived.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Skullman wrote:But Davis can accept less than 100%. He's been less than 100% for well over a decade and still he continues.

Hendry was less than 100% for over a decade and he continued so its total BS for anyone (Wild :emb: ) to suggest Hendry isnt lowering himself to the likes of Davis and playing on past his peak etc.

Hendry is still top 32 Jimmy and Davis strugling for top 48 and Jimmy almost fell off tour you imbocile.

im not saying he was not past his best for over a decade however Jimmy and Davis aproaching 2 decades.

i always maintained that Hendry would give it one season in the qualifiers see how things went then if things was not improving to his liking he would go whitch what has happened..

He wont buck about losing to players not fit to lick his boots and yes i count Maguire in that.

Postby Alpha

Well said Alex, nice tribute to the game's greatest player. Stephen Hendry :bowdown:

Postby N_Castle07

Great topic Alex...all the best to the greatest of all time. Great memories.

Postby SnookerFan

He looked to be enjoying himself this year, even in the 10-2 loss. One of the greats of the game. I've watched him live several times, but sadly they were all in the latter stages of his career. Would've loved to been in the crowd for one of his games in his pomp.

It's just a shame I didn't have any beer at home for which to toast him yesterday, which I am sure I will make up for in the next few days.

Hopefully, he does some exhibitions near me soon. :hatoff:

Postby kriss

Im a massive Hendry fan, and while Im sad to see him hang up his cue, I have a massive amount of respect for the way in which he did it.

He gave the qualifiers a go, managed to make it to the worlds and he knocked in his 11th Max. The Higgins & Maguire games aside, the max alone is just an incredible achievement. I think it epitomises the problem Hendry has in the modern game. The odd miss is forgivable, everyone has them, but its been his long potting and safety that have strangled his game. Amidst the pink and black he is worthy of a top 4 ranking- his recent 147s prove that.

The harsh reality is that a 147, a century or even a 70-break for that matter, only win you 1 frame. The odd flash of brilliance, that bit of vintage Hendry, just isnt enough to win matches anymore.

Hendry is a class act. He gets a mixed review because people perceive him to be arrogant, and his desire to win unsporting. I would suggest that its solely that mentality that would otherwise transform Ronnie, Williams, Robertson & Maguire into similar animals.

Will the game ever witness another Hendry? Only if someone can match his hunger and determination.

Postby daraghj82

i would have liked to have seen stephen continue on for a few more seasons. the reality is that it is unlikely he would have won a ranking title or being a serious contender for a WC or any of the other majors. it was a brave, tough decision but i think in the end the right one. id rather see him announce his retirement at the crucible rather than after being beaten in one of the qualifiers.

he will leave the sport as arguably one of the greatest of all time , leaving behind some great memories especially the 147 in r1 in this years WC. good luck to him and im sure we he will go on to be a very good snooker commentator/analyst .

good luck stephen in your retirement and he gave me and snooker some great memories. i always remember the uk final of 88 when i first started watching snooker.

Postby daraghj82

Alex0paul wrote:Wonder if he will enter the Pre-Qualifying rounds next year a la Parrott

he could weel do or stephen could win the world seniors WC and be in the PL :-)

Postby daraghj82

kriss wrote:Im a massive Hendry fan, and while Im sad to see him hang up his cue, I have a massive amount of respect for the way in which he did it.

He gave the qualifiers a go, managed to make it to the worlds and he knocked in his 11th Max. The Higgins & Maguire games aside, the max alone is just an incredible achievement. I think it epitomises the problem Hendry has in the modern game. The odd miss is forgivable, everyone has them, but its been his long potting and safety that have strangled his game. Amidst the pink and black he is worthy of a top 4 ranking- his recent 147s prove that.

The harsh reality is that a 147, a century or even a 70-break for that matter, only win you 1 frame. The odd flash of brilliance, that bit of vintage Hendry, just isnt enough to win matches anymore.

Hendry is a class act. He gets a mixed review because people perceive him to be arrogant, and his desire to win unsporting. I would suggest that its solely that mentality that would otherwise transform Ronnie, Williams, Robertson & Maguire into similar animals.

Will the game ever witness another Hendry? Only if someone can match his hunger and determination.

Well said kriss, it was a bit painful watching stephen struggle against maguire last night, however mags did play really well. in fairness i think his retirement was probably iminent even if he carried for a few seasons anyway. i doubt as you say that there will be a player who could match stephens dominance of the game and sheer winning mentality

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I never saw Stephen Hendry in his prime. I never saw him win a title. But nonetheless he made an impact on me.

Many people disliked him, a lot of people loved him. I was somewhere in between. He wasn't one of my favourite players but I always enjoyed seeing him play. His breakbuilding was brilliant and he had an very special aura surrounding him. He walked
around the table like the world belonged to him. He was a classy player through and through with a lot of pride for his game.

Who would have thought in 2005 that the Malta Cup would be his last ever professional title? And that his 2006 UK final would be his last ever final? And that he wouldn't win the UK after 1996 or the Worlds after 1999?

But he can't complain he won more ranking titles than anyone else in the history of the game and I think it's safe to say that
his record of 36 ranking titles will never ever be beaten. He won 7 world titles, another record that I can't see anyone ever
surpassing.

The 2012 World Championship will always be remembered for Stephen Hendry's retirement. It's sad because he's still a quality player, not a top 16 player anymore but better than most top 32 players and he always added something to a tournament.

It was an honour to watch him play and he played one heck of a last tournament. Hendry couldn't have gone out with a much
bigger bang than this year: 147 in the first round, hammering the defending World Champion in the next round and finally
going out in a sad but also a very fitting way - by losing with a session to spare. He hammered players left and right in his
prime now it happened to him in his very last match and also it reminded us all why he wanted to retire in the first place.

What is there left to say?

Thank you and goodbye Stephen Hendry!

Postby Casey

His video piece on the retirement with the BBC shows he is at peace with this decision. It looks like he will have a new career in China and a new project to be creative on.

Interesting to hear Terry G say Hendry should have retired a couple of years of is strange - he is made 2 max's in the last 14 months, but there you go.

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:His video piece on the retirement with the BBC shows he is at peace with this decision. It looks like he will have a new career in China and a new project to be creative on.

Interesting to hear Terry G say Hendry should have retired a couple of years of is strange - he is made 2 max's in the last 14 months, but there you go.

Griffiths was talking some rubbish the other day when I was listening to him as well. About snooker changing it's formats just like rugby and football had. :anyone:

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:His video piece on the retirement with the BBC shows he is at peace with this decision. It looks like he will have a new career in China and a new project to be creative on.

for what its worth i agree with Terry.

Stephen Hendry was all about Titles and Dominating Players not playing a bit part. it was almost like Laurence Olivier Being a Extra on Eastenders.

Snooker Moves on Stephen is at an End i wont be shedding any tear because what i always wanted not seeing crap beating him now that was depressing when you know how good he was.