Topic locked

World Championship (Thurs 26th of April) Rnd 1&2 Disscusion!

Postby Wildey

Saturday 21st of April- Monday 7th of May at the Crucible Theatre,Sheffield

Thursday 26th of April

1pm

Ali Carter v Mark Davis to a finish
Dave Gilbert v Neil Robertson

7pm

Joe Perry v Stephen Maguire
Mark Williams v Liu Chuang to a finish

on this date in 1989 Stephen Hendry reached the First of his 12 Crucible Semi finals

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: World Championship (Thurs 26th of April) Rnd 1&2 Disscus

Postby PLtheRef

One of the days I look forward to, the three session matches are always interesting because of how matches can swing. You cannot lose a match in an opening session and 6-2 leads have been overcome many times before. The aim for Robertson I think tomorrow will be a 5-3, ideally 6-2 advantage.

Postby Skullman

PLtheRef wrote:One of the days I look forward to, the three session matches are always interesting because of how matches can swing. You cannot lose a match in an opening session and 6-2 leads have been overcome many times before. The aim for Robertson I think tomorrow will be a 5-3, ideally 6-2 advantage.

I think he needs to be 2-6 and 5-11 and then he has the championship in the bag ;-)

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:One of the days I look forward to, the three session matches are always interesting because of how matches can swing. You cannot lose a match in an opening session and 6-2 leads have been overcome many times before. The aim for Robertson I think tomorrow will be a 5-3, ideally 6-2 advantage.

I think he needs to be 2-6 and 5-11 and then he has the championship in the bag ;-)

His opponent just beat the player that that happened to. Is that a sign?

Re: World Championship (Wed 25th of April) Round 1 Disscussi

Postby snooky147

Obviously. Gutted for graeme. Made all the more puzzling that i attended 2 of his practice sessions in which he literally never missed a ball. I had rarely seen him hit the ball better. Just goes to show what a strange game of the mind that snooker is.
Sighs.

Postby Wildey

i think John will have to play his best match of the season to win that match and we know how capable he is to turn it on and playing Stephen at the crucible might bring it on.

Postby Wildey

looking at the draw The Winner of Robbo v Ronnie section will be odds on to win from here the likes of Judd and Higgins has tougher players to come through

Postby Wildey

dont know about anyone else but im looking forward to see the matches involving Jamie Jones and Cao Yupeng with a genuine chance of reaching the Quarter Finals of the Biggest tournament.

Postby daraghj82

does anything think ali might have a rethink on his retirement plans, i know he has had problems with health but could he reconsider like stephen did last year

Postby Wildey

daraghj82 wrote:does anything think ali might have a rethink on his retirement plans, i know he has had problems with health but could he reconsider like stephen did last year

yea he wont retire but i do think he will be playing it by week and will not enter a few events.

Postby Roland

I'm there for session 1 of Perry v Maguire tonight, should be good. Then tomorrow think I've got Robbo/Gilbert, I know I'm missing Hendry/Higgins that's for certain unless I can spot a free seat once I'm in there.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:dont know about anyone else but im looking forward to see the matches involving Jamie Jones and Cao Yupeng with a genuine chance of reaching the Quarter Finals of the Biggest tournament.

I saw Jamie Jones against Smurphy, and might watch his game with Higginson. I thought Murphy played like a mug, and Jones got stronger towards the end due to this. Higginson played well though, and it might prove an interesting match.

Postby daraghj82

Wild wrote:
daraghj82 wrote:does anything think ali might have a rethink on his retirement plans, i know he has had problems with health but could he reconsider like stephen did last year

yea he wont retire but i do think he will be playing it by week and will not enter a few events.
#

I'd say so wild which would be good, ali on form is very good to watch

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I'm there for session 1 of Perry v Maguire tonight, should be good. Then tomorrow think I've got Robbo/Gilbert, I know I'm missing Hendry/Higgins that's for certain unless I can spot a free seat once I'm in there.

Mate, I properly enjoed my time in Sheffield this year. I enjoy it every year, of course. But this year was more disappointed to come back than usual. I think the epic Higgins vs Wenbo match, and the 147 did it.

Postby freakmoomin

cant wait for hendo - higgins! how many frames are in the first session? ive got a wedding to go to.....but need to stall as long as poss to AT LEAST get the first sess in!

ive absolutly love it for hendo to go on a proper run here! if he plays like he did first sess in first round then i see no reason why he cant......although he will prob revert back to hendry of last few years :(

Postby Wildey

freakmoomin wrote:cant wait for hendo - higgins! how many frames are in the first session? ive got a wedding to go to.....but need to stall as long as poss to AT LEAST get the first sess in!

ive absolutly love it for hendo to go on a proper run here! if he plays like he did first sess in first round then i see no reason why he cant......although he will prob revert back to hendry of last few years :(

8 frames 1st sessions

Postby freakmoomin

I dont think Hendry can afford to go behind any more than 2 frames at any point in the game against john.....he needs to get out the blocks as fast as he's ever done and put pressure on from frame 1. I think he needs a 5-3 lead after first sess to give him confidence for the rest of match....

comon Hendo!

Sorry im off topic and ignoring the games today but just cant wait till tomorrow!

Postby SnookerFan

freakmoomin wrote:I dont think Hendry can afford to go behind any more than 2 frames at any point in the game against john.....he needs to get out the blocks as fast as he's ever done and put pressure on from frame 1. I think he needs a 5-3 lead after first sess to give him confidence for the rest of match....

comon Hendo!

Sorry im off topic and ignoring the games today but just cant wait till tomorrow!

Higgins could well have lost against Liang. Liang was up for it, and ran him extremely close. John wasn't playing his best, but as all great players do found a way to win.

If Hendry plays in the first session vs Higgins the way he did vs Bingham, this could be very interesting.

I like both players, so won't be disappointed to see either win. But wouldn't it be an amazing story if Hendry can do what Davis did a couple of years back? And have a run at The Crucible and beat Higgins, the World Champion.

Postby Wildey

freakmoomin wrote:

its a tournament discussion thread so any day can be discussed it just happens to be thursday 26th of April hence this thread is open lol

Postby freakmoomin

I think Hendry is a bit of a victim of his own success aswell to be honest. Although we all know hes been crap for about 10 years, hes still a massive name and scalp for a lot of players, so everybody is always up for playing him, he rarely gets underestimated.

but in saying that....if he just played half decent and didnt leave his opponents bang in the balls every 2nd frame he would win a lot more matches :)

Postby Wildey

freakmoomin wrote:I think Hendry is a bit of a victim of his own success aswell to be honest. Although we all know hes been crap for about 10 years, hes still a massive name and scalp for a lot of players, so everybody is always up for playing him, he rarely gets underestimated.

yup Hendry is a massive scalp without the Form to Justify it.

at his best he could have withstood it these days hes been callapsing under the weight on his shoulders.