Topic locked

My World Championship preview: part four

Postby Tubberlad

In the final part of my World Championship preview, we look at arguably the toughest quarter of the draw.

John Higgins vs Barry Hawkins
Mark King vs Steve Davis
Neil Robertson vs Fergal O'Brien
Marco Fu vs Martin Gould
Ali Carter vs Jamie Cope
Joe Perry vs Michael Holt
Ding Junhui vs Stuart Pettman
Shaun Murphy vs Gerard Greene
Ryan Day vs Mark Davis
Mark Selby vs Ken Doherty
Stephen Hendry vs Anda Zhang
Mark J Williams vs Marcus Campbell
Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Liang Wenbo

Mark Selby
The Englishman will be one of the most feared contenders for the title. Runner-up to John Higgins in 2007, Selby's second Masters win this year highlighted just how good a player he can be.

The win was thoroughly deserved, he outplayed O'Sullivan for much of the match, and in the end fought back admirably to take the last four frames. It was one of the matches of the season, and a loss that stung O'Sullivan badly.

The Rocket said that Selby doesn't have what it takes to win the World Title, but I don't agree with that for a second. Selby has a fine safety game, great shotmaking and terrific bottle. It may not happen this year, although it wouldn't surprise me a bit, but Selby should win this title at some stage.

One to look out for.
Verdict: Quarter-finals

---
Ken Doherty
A 10-1 winner over Joe Swail in qualifying, the 1997 World Champion has recoved well from a miserable couple of seasons that saw him plummet down the rankings.

In the opening round, he faces off against Mark Selby, with whom he has had some very tight encounters in the past. At the Masters in 2008, Doherty was unlucky to lose a decider, but at the 2009 Grand Prix sealed revenge in the odd frame.

I think Doherty will put up a heroic battle, but will drop short.
Verdict: First round

---
Stephen Hendry
A man who needs no introduction.

A seven-time winner, Hendry dominated the game during the 90's, but will look back on the last ten years with disappointment. In 2002, he probably feels he let a glorious chance slip.

He faces off against a relatively unknown quantity Anda Zhang. I know precious little about the Chinese player, so it's a dangerous one to predict, but surely Hendry will overcome the first hurdle.

He probably won't get too far, but write him off at your peril.
Verdict: Second round

---
Anda Zhang
I could tell you I know a lot about Anda Zhang, but I'd be lying through my teeth.

One thing is for sure though; his qualifying result looks impressive to say the least. He accounted for 1991 winner John Parrott's career, former Welsh Open finalist Andrew Higginson and one of the most feared qualifiers Ricky Walden.

That run alone is enough to tell you he's no mug, and Hendry must give him full respect if he's to avoid a slip-up.
Verdcit: First round

---
Mark Williams
He's still not quite the player of old, but Mark Williams has put down his best season in a very long time.

He was terribly unlucky to lose out to O'Sullivan in their Masters semi-final, but he played very well, and their is much cause for optimism.

I don't think he'll have too much trouble with Marcus Campbell, but he probably faces a tough second round tie. I'd fancy him to beat Liang Wenbo, but his recent record against O'Sullivan is worrying.

If he can get past round two, he could very well win the tournament. A dark horse.
Verdict: Second round

---
Marcus Campbell
He qualified thanks to a deciding frame victory over Matthew Stevens, but in truth the Welshman is a shadow of his former self.

Campbell takes on an improving Mark Williams in round one, and it would be the shock of round one if he was to win. He should exit early, but then again, who thought he'd beat Hendry 9-0?

---
Ronnie O'Sullivan
It's make or break I feel for the most controversial player of the 32. Ridiculously talented, it's a testament to his natural gift that most will agree he's an underachiever despite winning this event three times.

For me, this will be O'Sullivan's last serious crack at a fourth World Title. He hasn't looked quite as sharp this year, but still has the game to win the tournament. For now.

Yes, a quarter containing Mark Selby, Liang Wenbo, Mark Williams, Ken Doherty & Stephen Hendry is going to be extrememly tough to overcome. But I must ask the question... which of those players is actually better than O'Sullivan?

Of the lot Selby looks the most threatening, but in spite of a few impressive wins over the Rocket, Ronnie has beaten Selby, and at the UK Championship he did it quite comfortably. Should they meet over 25 frames, I think O'Sullivan will have the measure of him.

It's not a prediction I make in huge confidence, but it's one I'll stand by. O'Sullivan for number four.
Verdict: Champion

---
Liang Wenbo
If O'Sullivan has felt stitched up by his draws in recent years, he must have cried when he was paired with this man.

He's the toughest qualifier, no question. A smashing little player, full of character, who seems to hold no fear of anyone. He has represented himself well at the Crucible, and has improved dramatically.

His game is eccentrically attacking, and he'll cause some problems for O'Sullivan. His record against the Rocket is poor though, and his lack of defensive nous may let him down again.

Re: My World Championship preview: part four

Postby Wildey

by far the strongest section with 80 Ranking Titles 12 World Titles and 14 masters between them.

hard to say how this section will find a semi finalist but one thing for sure 1 of them will play in a best of 33 frame semi final.

Postby Bourne

Can't disagree with wild, this section is effectively a lottery, no single R1 result one can be sure is a nailed-on certainty, though if the seeds bring their best games to the fore they should win and how good would that be to see the likes of Selby, Hendry, Williams and O'Sullivan all playing at their best in the same section !

Postby SnookerFan

I feel Ronnie had a relatively easy draw the last time he won the title. This may seem to some a ridiculous claim for some, being that he beat Mark Williams, Liang Wenbo and Stephen Hendry along the way, but with god as my witness I turned to my friend when I picked up the programme at that year's Crucible and said; "Ronnie is going to win this." That was before any ball had been potted.

He played an unranked teenager in his first match, a gimme as much as a gimme is possible. Then he played a Mark Williams far past his best, and playing nowhere near as good as he is now. At the time Mark Williams was dropping out of the top 16. Liang Wenbo was greener than grass at the time, and was totally unheard of when this tournament came around. Sure he played well, and made a bit of a name for himself, but can anybody here say they expected him to beat Ronnie in that tournament? I didn't then. But it may be different now. (Though I predict Ronnie to take it.) Stephen Hendry in the semi for me, was the first player who had a chance to beat him. But even then, I considered that a relatively long shot, as Hendry is far past his best. And good player though Ali Carter is, did anybody predict him getting to the final that year? Neither him nor Joe Perry (who lost the semi) would've started favourite against Ronnie at The Crucible final. It didn't help that Ali Carter was complete knackered by the final, and couldn't do justice to himself. But even in form, I didn't think he'd beat Ronnie. He never has either.

This year however, looks a lot harder for Ronnie. He plays a Liang who is much improved from the aforementioned World Championships. As is Williams. I still feel Hendry wouldn't beat him, or Ken Doherty. Not at these stages in their careers. But there are plenty of good matches there. But despite there being many of the same people in the draw this year, as the last time he won, I feel a lot more of them are on better form then they were at the time, or in Liang's case have more match experience.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:I feel Ronnie had a relatively easy draw the last time he won the title. This may seem to some a ridiculous claim for some, being that he beat Mark Williams, Liang Wenbo and Stephen Hendry along the way, but with god as my witness I turned to my friend when I picked up the programme at that year's Crucible and said; "Ronnie is going to win this." That was before any ball had been potted.

He played an unranked teenager in his first match, a gimme as much as a gimme is possible. Then he played a Mark Williams far past his best, and playing nowhere near as good as he is now. At the time Mark Williams was dropping out of the top 16. Liang Wenbo was greener than grass at the time, and was totally unheard of when this tournament came around. Sure he played well, and made a bit of a name for himself, but can anybody here say they expected him to beat Ronnie in that tournament? I didn't then. But it may be different now. (Though I predict Ronnie to take it.) Stephen Hendry in the semi for me, was the first player who had a chance to beat him. But even then, I considered that a relatively long shot, as Hendry is far past his best. And good player though Ali Carter is, did anybody predict him getting to the final that year? Neither him nor Joe Perry (who lost the semi) would've started favourite against Ronnie at The Crucible final. It didn't help that Ali Carter was complete knackered by the final, and couldn't do justice to himself. But even in form, I didn't think he'd beat Ronnie. He never has either.

This year however, looks a lot harder for Ronnie. He plays a Liang who is much improved from the aforementioned World Championships. As is Williams. I still feel Hendry wouldn't beat him, or Ken Doherty. Not at these stages in their careers. But there are plenty of good matches there. But despite there being many of the same people in the draw this year, as the last time he won, I feel a lot more of them are on better form then they were at the time, or in Liang's case have more match experience.

Well I find it odd that you could say that as soon as you picked the program.
I certainly did not expect Carter to emerge from that half, with Murphy, Maguire, Robertson, Selby and Ebdon in that mix.
I also didn't expect Hendry in the semis, him being in same quarter as Higgins and Ding. Both Liu Chuang and Liang Wenbo had gone all the way from stage one of the qualifs which does ask for some quality. Mark Williams certainly wasn't the player he was in 2003 but him dropping out of the top 16 was mainly due to a very poor 2006/07 season. He was actually showing clear signs of a return to form; he actually made it to the last 16 of 3 ranking events and the quarters both in UK and China that season. Over a long format he was never to be a gimme.

Postby Wildey

i did not say that however it was one of the easiest draws he could have had that year. 2 debutants 2 players woefully out of form and to cap it off his bunny in the final.

but having said that the players he met had put others out or put the players that beat the other challengers out.

Wenbo today is seen as a challenger however in 2008 he was a rank outsider that should have lost to swail and was never going to worry Ronnie.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:i did not say that however it was one of the easiest draws he could have had that year. 2 debutants 2 players woefully out of form and to cap it off his bunny in the final.

but having said that the players he met had put others out or put the players that beat the other challengers out.

Wenbo today is seen as a challenger however in 2008 he was a rank outsider that should have lost to swail and was never going to worry Ronnie.

Hendry was certainly not woefully out of form. Nobody does the WC semis when woefully out of form. Hendry had beaten Ding and Day, who himself had beaten Higgins. Williams was not woefully out of form neither. I suggest you watch those matches again....
I'm not saying this was the toughest draw Ronnie could have had, surely not. But it wasn't that easy neither.

Postby Wildey

Monique

the closest Ronnie got to a match was williams.

Hendry played Better last year than he did in 2008 Ding was a challanger last year in 2008 Ding was like a Rabit in headlights he had Nothing to worry Hendry and as for Day he played well against Higgins came up against Hendry and had nothing in the Tank and as for Allen Round 1 Hendry was pathetic in that match it was a miracle he won it.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:Monique

Hendry played Better last year than he did in 2008 Ding was a challanger last year in 2008 Ding was like a Rabit in headlights he had Nothing to worry Hendry and as for Day he played well against Higgins came up against Hendry and had nothing in the Tank and as for Allen Round 1 Hendry was pathetic in that match it was a miracle he won it.

Wild, Hendry lead Ronnie 4-1 in that match, remember? He even made a 140 in the very first frame of that match. The first session was very close. After that and in particular in the second session Ronnie did play really outstanding stuff, something Hendry himself branded "the best anyone had ever played against him". Watch it again. It wasn't Hendry being bad, it was Ronnie at his best.
Last edited by Monique on 24 Mar 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

yes but i defy anyone even at 4-1 to think in a best of 33 that hendry was gonna win it.

in a best of 25 you might think it but never in a best of 33 playing like he was that tournament very inconsistent.

Postby Tubberlad

Ronnie mauled Hendry. It's as simple as that. Not a single person, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Mark Selby, Neil Robertson, or even the Hendry of the 90's was going to beat him that day. It was as close to orgasmic snooker as I've ever witnessed. <ok>

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:Monique

Wild, Hendry lead Ronnie 4-1 in that match, remember? He even made a 140 in the very first frame of that match. The first session was very close. After that and in particular in the second session Ronnie did play really outstanding stuff, something Hendry himself branded "the best anyone had ever played against him". Watch it again. It wasn't Hendry being bad, it was Ronnie at his best.

4-1 up and in the balls, flying until he snookered himself on a red. The whole match turned there and Ronnie came out like a new man after getting out 4-4.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Ronnie mauled Hendry. It's as simple as that. Not a single person, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Mark Selby, Neil Robertson, or even the Hendry of the 90's was going to beat him that day. It was as close to orgasmic snooker as I've ever witnessed. <ok>

with respect i disagree Hendry had chances he failed to take them and then it was like a steam train. hendry of the 90s would have taken them put Ronnie under pressure and the story would be different very different even in that 8-0 session hendry could have and should have won 3 of the first 4 frames that whole session has been defined by the second 4 frames where Ronnie was flying. then at 12-4 up going in to session no 3 Ronnie was in free fall under no pressure and hendry demoralized.

but point was from my point of view when hendry was leading 4-1 i wished it was a best of 11 or 17 frame semi because i knew having seen Hendry throughout his career he was nowhere near good enough at that time to beat Ronnie over 33 frames.

Postby Roland

I have to agree somewhat with wild on this. At 4-1 Hendry was doing what he always used to do and had the clocks been put back 10 years I would've fancied a 17-3 victory or win of that magnitude.

However in session 2 the Hendry of old would've still got wasted because O'Sullivan was awesome. Hendry shouldn't have had 3 of the first 4 frames, that's nonsense! Maybe one but how can you say he should have won it when he missed pots early in the frame which lead to a clearance from O'Sullivan? A missed long red at start of frame does not equal "should have won the frame" in anybody's book.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I have to agree somewhat with wild on this. At 4-1 Hendry was doing what he always used to do and had the clocks been put back 10 years I would've fancied a 17-3 victory or win of that magnitude.

However in session 2 the Hendry of old would've still got wasted because O'Sullivan was awesome. Hendry shouldn't have had 3 of the first 4 frames, that's nonsense! Maybe one but how can you say he should have won it when he missed pots early in the frame which lead to a clearance from O'Sullivan? A missed long red at start of frame does not equal "should have won the frame" in anybody's book.

in the 90s it would not have been a 8-0 session like i said Hendry had enough chances to win 3 of thoes first 4 of that session and 2 fantastic chances if he had shared those 4 frames 2-2 at 6-6 it would be very different than 8-4 <ok> although the last 4 frames of that session hendry did not have a sniff.

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wc wrote:The truth is Hendo flet sorry for Ronnie and let him have that one...... <laugh>

what about the other mauling - was that another he let Ron have........ <laugh> rofl <laugh> rofl

No he forgot to cut the grass, his mrs was giving him grief and telling him to get home early <ok> .

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:BTW which mauling was your favourite....... I'm undecided :wave: :jugs:

Has to be 08, at that stage it was an achievement reaching the SF's also he took defeat very well <ok>

Postby Smart

case_master wc wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:BTW which mauling was your favourite....... I'm undecided :wave: :jugs:

Has to be 08, at that stage it was an achievement reaching the SF's also he took defeat very well <ok>

Hendo was very sporting at the end, and it was not lost on ROS who seemed to appreciate the comments <ok>

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wc wrote:

Hendo was very sporting at the end, and it was not lost on ROS who seemed to appreciate the comments <ok>

Yes I think the comments meant a lot to Ronnie, a nice moment from both players at the end of that.

Postby Monique

case_master wc wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wc wrote:

Yes I think the comments meant a lot to Ronnie, a nice moment from both players at the end of that.

I did mean a lot to Ronnie. Ronnie has the uttermost respect for Hendry and even if they had their disagreements, both are well over that now. And even then, professional respect was always there. What some don't seem to get is that I'm not trying to belittle Hendry, quite the contrary. It's a myth that Hendry never missed one when at his peak. He did. He's only human. Hendry in 2008, aged 39, made a wonderfull display of himself in the Crucible. Not a perfect display, but a wonderfull one. His fight against Allen was the epitome of willing power. His victories over Ding and Day, pure testimony of his class. Ronnie as rounds went by got stronger. Some of the snooker he played against Hendry in session 2 was of the best ever played and Hendry assesed it and, I'm sure, saw it for what it is: a tribute to the best ever player. Because Ronnie considers Hendry the best ever player and said so several times. Hendry's performance in that WC deserves better than being belittled. It wasn't Hendry at his peak, of course it wasn't. It was still a great Hendry.

Postby Casey

Still a great tournament for Hendry fans, I very much enjoyed his run at a time I didn’t think he would get back to the one table situation.

That was one of Ronnies peak performances and it would have taken Hendry to be at the top of his peak to cope with that display. I certainly think Ronnie played better in the 08 match than the 04 semi.

Postby Monique

case_master wc wrote:Still a great tournament for Hendry fans, I very much enjoyed his run at a time I didn’t think he would get back to the one table situation.

That was one of Ronnies peak performances and it would have taken Hendry to be at the top of his peak to cope with that display. I certainly think Ronnie played better in the 08 match than the 04 semi.

exactly Case. I re-watched both matches recently on footages. Oh yes, in 2004 Ronnie's long potting was better. But really that's the only department that was better. And Hendry in 2008 was also better than the Hendry of 2004 who really went to a sulk and threw his cue at everything. Not that he hadn't the ability. He still had it, I'm sure, he did. Don't forget, he was still in the final in 2002, he made it to the quarters in 2003 losing to the eventual winner, he was still World number 1 in 2006. But he was challenged mentally, his confidence was shaken from the first session on and, on that occasion, he didn't cope. Just like on other occasions, Ronnie didn't cope. As I said they are only human.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
case_master wc wrote:Still a great tournament for Hendry fans, I very much enjoyed his run at a time I didn’t think he would get back to the one table situation.

exactly Case. I re-watched both matches recently on footages. Oh yes, in 2004 Ronnie's long potting was better. But really that's the only department that was better. And Hendry in 2008 was also better than the Hendry of 2004 who really went to a sulk and threw his cue at everything. Not that he hadn't the ability. He still had it, I'm sure, he did. Don't forget, he was still in the final in 2002, he made it to the quarters in 2003 losing to the eventual winner, he was still World number 1 in 2006. But he was challenged mentally, his confidence was shaken from the first session on and, on that occasion, he didn't cope. Just like on other occasions, Ronnie didn't cope. As I said they are only human.

Sulky in 04 certainly, big change in attitude 08 which was nice to see from both sets of fans I am sure.

As I said in another thread that if Ronnie gets to the SF best of 33 he is a cert for the final imo. At the minute I think only John Higgins and Selby could trouble him over 4 sessions

Postby Casey

I should also add that I thought Hendry applied himself far more in 08. When in difficult positions he genuinely looked for ways out of trouble, even when far behind (although I am not sure about the final black, don’t think he wanted to come back)

In 04 he was throwing his cue at everything.

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:I should also add that I thought Hendry applied himself far more in 08. When in difficult positions he genuinely looked for ways out of trouble, even when far behind (although I am not sure about the final black, don’t think he wanted to come back)

i agree with that.

Postby Smart

case_master wc wrote:I should also add that I thought Hendry applied himself far more in 08. When in difficult positions he genuinely looked for ways out of trouble, even when far behind (although I am not sure about the final black, don’t think he wanted to come back)

the final black was a cut back from memory and it looked like a concession attempt <ok>