Topic locked

2012 - The opportunity for the qualifiers?

Postby PLtheRef

I was racking my brains and thinking about the upcoming qualifiers for the World Championships - I think the first ones in years to 'back on' to the Championships.

Does anyone think that given that the qualifiers back onto the tournament proper that it a) gives the seeded players less chance to prepare for their first round matches (given the usual five weeks between the draw and opening Saturday) and b) the chance for a qualifier who has shown good form in qualifying to use that 'played into' form during the championship proper?

Re: 2012 - The opportunity for the qualifiers?

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:I was racking my brains and thinking about the upcoming qualifiers for the World Championships - I think the first ones in years to 'back on' to the Championships.

Does anyone think that given that the qualifiers back onto the tournament proper that it a) gives the seeded players less chance to prepare for their first round matches (given the usual five weeks between the draw and opening Saturday) and b) the chance for a qualifier who has shown good form in qualifying to use that 'played into' form during the championship proper?

most important thing for me it feels like a Month Long Championship without any distractions from other events....

CHINA OPEN OVER its time for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

all we need now is seeding based on rankings after the china open which would mean Carter having to qualify.

Postby Smart

There is a knack to playing 2 session best of 19 matches. Its proper hard match play snooker. For anyone who wins thru 2 or 3 qualifying rounds and assuming they are not frozen in the headlamps of the crucible, then they have a nice little confidence and a much better chance than if there was a longer break between the last round of the qualifying and the tournament proper.

Someone like Wenbo, for instance, could play himself into form by the time the tournament proper comes along and would be a tough draw for anyone. <ok>

Postby Skullman

Think the qualifiers being so close has helped. If you look at the UK which is the other longer tournament (but not by much now), 14 seeds went through, and that's when the qualifiers were a bit further away and the seeds were sharpened by the PTCs. With the China Open being a while ago now, the seeds' level has dropepd slightly, but the qualifiers are looking very sharp.

Postby Wildey

This Thread deserves another Bump BUT

We hear all the time how players been building up to the Championship and try and prepare for it etc

then we hear how players are burnt out to much snooker and Barry Hearn Gives seeds 2 Weeks Vacation similar to the avarage man on the street gets to re charge the Batteries and then thats Wrong.

Neil Robertson has Played most Matches this season and somehow he managed to keep Focus,Prepared and Fresh to turn in the Best Consistant performance this week.

if Seeds are not prepared it has nothing to do with Qualifiers being so close they just have 1)Pressure to perform or b)complacent or c)just rubbish