Topic locked

World Championship (Mon 23rd of April) Round 1 Disscusion !!

Postby Wildey

Saturday 21st of April- Monday 7th of May at the Crucible Theatre,Sheffield

Monday 23rd of April

10am

Stephen Maguire 6-3 Luca Brecel to a finish
Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu

2.30pm

Shaun Murphy 5-4 Jamie Jones to a finish
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Peter Ebdon

7pm

Stephen Lee v Andrew Higginson
Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu to a finish

on this date in 2002 Quinten Hann overturned a 6-3 deficit to Beat Paul Hunter 10-9

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: World Championship (Mon 23rd of April) Round 1 Disscusio

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Tomorrow Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Peter Ebdon - what a match that will be.

I'm not worried that the infamous 2005 WC match might have an affect on Ronnie but more that Ebdon is playing really well at the moment. He beat Stevens, Higgins, Robbo, Ding and Maguire in China and should he reproduce the same form, Ronnie will have his work cut out.

Postby randam05

Skullman wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Damn Sixth-Form! When I get in I'll catch up and watch Maguire/Brecel and Ronnie/Ebdon.

Seconded <ok>

Thirded...

Ill have it all on record all week, but luckily tues i finish at 11, thursday at 1 and friday at 1 :D

Postby Andre147

I see the media are now asking everybody about their opinion on the Allen's quotes from his post-match conference..

Both Robertson and Hendry sitting on the fence, saying they haven's seen any kind of parakeeting or wathatever from the chinese players...

I think Allen is just being childlish for having lost.. maybe it was indeed a push shot, but he has no right to mention other names like Fu and Wenbo who weren't even his opponents in this match...

I quite like Allen, but off the table he is beggining to look like Ronnie, and even fellow irishman legend Alex Higgins

:baby:

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:In China Peter dictated the pace against all his opponents. That mustn't happen tomorrow. Ronnie has to play good safeties and keep him under constant pressure to force mistakes.

I agree... if this match turns out to be anything similar to the one Ronnie had against Selby in this season's Welsh open semi, then I think the advantage will be on peter..

Ronnie has to get in front early, and above all things, has to dictate the pace of the match, and not get bogged down by Peter's slow play and tactics...

I just think it will be a great match, so nice to watch very different styles of play go head to head... :-D :-D :-D

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I would have loved to see Ebdon advance further in the tournament but unfortunatly he was drawn against Ronnie so hard luck Peter.

Yes me too.. against any other opponent and I wouldn't have mind Peter to win, but against Ronnie... sory but no :john:

As I said earlier, expect a really close match, and a good one indeed, as both players have rediscovered their form this season and are two ranking event winner's this same season, so should be a cracker, and a really contrast of styles

Postby NedB-H

randam05 wrote:
Skullman wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Damn Sixth-Form! When I get in I'll catch up and watch Maguire/Brecel and Ronnie/Ebdon.

Seconded <ok>

Thirded...

What's with all the teenagers on here? Makes me feel old! Good sign that we have so many young snooker fans though :-)

Postby randam05

NedB-H wrote:
randam05 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Seconded <ok>

Thirded...

What's with all the teenagers on here? Makes me feel old! Good sign that we have so many young snooker fans though :-)

I was suprised when I seen these two were fellow sixth formers. I thought I was the only young hard core snooker fan! <cool>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I would have loved to see Ebdon advance further in the tournament but unfortunatly he was drawn against Ronnie so hard luck Peter.

Yes me too.. against any other opponent and I wouldn't have mind Peter to win, but against Ronnie... sory but no :john:

As I said earlier, expect a really close match, and a good one indeed, as both players have rediscovered their form this season and are two ranking event winner's this same season, so should be a cracker, and a really contrast of styles

I expect Ronnie to play well, he usually does in the first round at the Crucible. Peter on the other hand hasn't won a Crucible match since 2008 and he nearly went out that year in the first round beating Jamie Cope 10-9.

Postby NedB-H

randam05 wrote:
NedB-H wrote:
randam05 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Seconded <ok>

Thirded...

I was suprised when I seen these two were fellow sixth formers. I thought I was the only young hard core snooker fan! <cool>

I feel ancient at 21 lol :gramp:

Marco hammering Stevens will clearly be the highlight of tomorrow <cool>

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I expect Ronnie to play well, he usually does in the first round at the Crucible. Peter on the other hand hasn't won a Crucible match since 2008 and he nearly went out that year in the first round beating Jamie Cope 10-9.

He's in better form now, and has just won the China Open. And unlike last time, he didn't lose his next match. Ronnie hasn't been playing as well as he did in Germany, and in China let Marcus Campbell get a lead he shouldn't have. I don't think Peter will give up a lead if Ronnie lets him have one.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

He's in better form now, and has just won the China Open. And unlike last time, he didn't lose his next match. Ronnie hasn't been playing as well as he did in Germany, and in China let Marcus Campbell get a lead he shouldn't have. I don't think Peter will give up a lead if Ronnie lets him have one.

Should Ronnie play like he did against Campbell, Peter will hammer him. Ronnie played kamikaze snooker for most of the match and only started playing proper snooker after it went 3-2. This is the Crucible. Ronnie won't play anything like that, this is a big tournament, a tournament he badly wants to win. He will try as hard as he possibly can to win every frame, there's no doubt about that.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Had a great day in Sheffield today, now for a rest day tomorrow in front of the tv.

Some very good matches tomorrow, hoping for more quality Snooker.

Good luck, Ronnie and Machew, and hopefully Mags v Luca and Murphy v Jones are decent quality again, watching Murphy v Jones live today was decent stuff, had slow frames but two quality centuries to finish off was good to watch.