Topic locked

Re: Mark Allen: Why can't he keep his mouth shut.

Postby Skullman

Didn't see it, but why didn't he tell the ref then when it happened?

Also why is he accusing Marco Fu and Liang Wenbo. Hell, Wenbo admitted to a push shot yesterday in a decider at the Crucible. I don't think they're dishonest.

Postby JIMO96

Skullman wrote:Didn't see it, but why didn't he tell the ref then when it happened?

Also why is he accusing Marco Fu and Liang Wenbo. Hell, Wenbo admitted to a push shot yesterday in a decider at the Crucible. I don't think they're dishonest.

Sour grapes from a sourfaced player who blatantly underestimated his opponent.

I think he's referring to Fu grazing a ball with the rest against Maguire (2006?), which TV cameras and millions of viewers noticed, but crucially the referee, Maguire and a very focussed and in the zone Fu, didn't.

He's also talking about the Liang-Swail match from 2008(?) when Liang was partially snookered on the yellow, played an escape, and the ref called miss and reset them. Liang then fired the yellow clean in on his next shot. But both players gave the ref the nod once the balls were repositioned, and before Liang potted it, so there is no question of cheating.

Plus, both players have owned up to fouls many times since, last night being a prime example.

Re: Mark Allen: Why can't he keep his mouth shut?

Postby NedB-H

Didn't see the one today, guessing Wenbo refers to the Swail incident, and I vaguely remember Fu touching a ball with his sleeve when leaning over and not calling it a few years ago. Even so you can't say things like that. I supported Allen when he took on Hearn before, but hope Barry goes to town on him here

Postby Skullman

JIMO96 wrote:
Skullman wrote:Didn't see it, but why didn't he tell the ref then when it happened?

I think he's referring to Fu grazing a ball with the rest against Maguire (2006?), which TV cameras and millions of viewers noticed, but crucially the referee, Maguire and a very focussed and in the zone Fu, didn't.

He's also talking about the Liang-Swail match from 2008(?) when Liang was partially snookered on the yellow, played an escape, and the ref called miss and reset them. Liang then fired the yellow clean in on his next shot. But both players gave the ref the nod once the balls were repositioned, and before Liang potted it, so there is no question of cheating.

Plus, both players have owned up to fouls many times since, last night being a prime example.

To be honest, after these comments here and the World Open, I think he could just be a racist.

Postby Rocket_ron

Skullman wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:

To be honest, after these comments here and the World Open, I think he could just be a racist.

An Irish racist :chin:

Postby Casey

I think the Fu incident he is talking about was when Mark played him in the SF of the Masters. Marco was alleged to have made contact with the final green when it looked like he missed it.

Postby Odrl

JIMO96 wrote:He's also talking about the Liang-Swail match from 2008(?) when Liang was partially snookered on the yellow, played an escape, and the ref called miss and reset them. Liang then fired the yellow clean in on his next shot. But both players gave the ref the nod once the balls were repositioned, and before Liang potted it, so there is no question of cheating.

Liang didn't play the pot on that occasion, he just played the yellow directly, rather than going off the cushion again. ;-)

Postby JIMO96

My memory's not what it used to be Odrl lol.

Allen is in deep trouble for this I feel. He saw no need to highlight any similar incidents involving European/UK players in his sweeping generalisation of the Chinese, and that's blatant racism.

They should throw the book at him.

Postby randam05

I think it makes the game more exciting having someone like Allen. There has always been Higgins then Ronnie, now Allen looks to be taking over.

Fun fun! Gets people talking and love his 'dont give a rubbish about what they think' attitude. Okay some of what he says is wrong, but it makes it interesting!

Postby Sickpotter

Rocket_ron wrote:
Monique wrote:All I will say is that the Chinese media are very upset.

I should think so, a fine coming mark allens way i should hope

If he's lucky it'll be a fine, could easily see a suspension. What a moron opening his yap while Hearn is working to have more Chinese events. <doh>

Postby JIMO96

randam05 wrote:I think it makes the game more exciting having someone like Allen. There has always been Higgins then Ronnie, now Allen looks to be taking over.

Fun fun! Gets people talking and love his 'dont give a rubbish about what they think' attitude. Okay some of what he says is wrong, but it makes it interesting!

Seriously? I thought he'd grow up once he won a tournament, having made headlines for the RIGHT reasons. He can't be mentioned in the same breath as O'Sullivan or Higgins, and until he grows up, never will. China are throwing money at the sport and this is the thanks they get.

In 10 years time, when we have a money rich Chinese snooker tour, and a pitiful rival UK circuit of journeymen on the pathetic BBC, snooker historians will look back on Allens press conference today as the first step towards a divided circuit.

Postby randam05

JIMO96 wrote:
randam05 wrote:I think it makes the game more exciting having someone like Allen. There has always been Higgins then Ronnie, now Allen looks to be taking over.

Seriously? I thought he'd grow up once he won a tournament, having made headlines for the RIGHT reasons. He can't be mentioned in the same breath as O'Sullivan or Higgins, and until he grows up, never will. China are throwing money at the sport and this is the thanks they get.

In 10 years time, when we have a money rich Chinese snooker tour, and a pitiful rival UK circuit of journeymen on the pathetic BBC, snooker historians will look back on Allens press conference today as the first step towards a divided circuit.

The day the tour is all chinese and hosted in china is the day I will stop watching. Nothing against them, great they put the money into it all and have great interest. But I find the chinese tournaments a little dull and other than Wenbo and a few others, their style of play doesnt excite me. Personal taste, I can see most of you love it.

I think it will be a long long time before this happens. I think European mainland has a big target and interest aswell as China.

I just think in general it will become a widespread global sport with maybe a completely different set up.

Postby Skullman

Well Alex Higgins and Ronie had talent. Plus all the talk will be how much of a banker Allen is. Plus people outside the sport may just think it's full stupid closet racists like him, which isn't good.

Postby JIMO96

Randam05.....7 of the main ranking events are in the Eastern hemisphere next season. Yet WSA still insist that Ding, Robbo, Wattana, Liang, Fu etc all have to qualify for them in Sheffield. I suppose you're all for that set up too?

I hope there's 2 Asians in the final of this, then the Chinese authorities tell WSA to shove it and start their own cash-laden circuit.

Of course, invitations should be extended to the British players.....so long as they come to Asia to qualify.

Postby Skullman

JIMO96 wrote:Randam05.....7 of the main ranking events are in the Eastern hemisphere next season. Yet WSA still insist that Ding, Robbo, Wattana, Liang, Fu etc all have to qualify for them in Sheffield. I suppose you're all for that set up too?

I hope there's 2 Asians in the final of this, then the Chinese authorities tell WSA to shove it and start their own cash-laden circuit.

Of course, invitations should be extended to the British players.....so long as they come to Asia to qualify.

I'm fine with that. At the moment there are more British players qualifying. If/when there are more Chinese players than British, I'd be fine with qualifying in China.

Postby NedB-H

The thing is that if the players, fans, authorities etc are welcoming of the wave of Asian players, and happy to set up as many tournaments as they can over there and support the game in China and the rest of Asia, then they might be able to keep a good chunk of the professional game in Europe. But if mugs like Allen start spouting off borderline racist stuff about all Chinese players, chances are they'll just up sticks and take the whole thing over there.

Postby jojo

live and let live is what i say let him say what the buck he wants

it does create excitement as randam says

why should snooker be library silence ? in a way it a shame he gone out as he wont be coming out with any more controverial comments

and the fact that he one ugly looking bastard just make it more appealing i genuinely think mark allen is good for the game of snooker

he may not be in the alex higgins ronnie o sullivan mould of having talent but only a few are in the history of the game

Postby JIMO96

Skullman wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:Randam05.....7 of the main ranking events are in the Eastern hemisphere next season. Yet WSA still insist that Ding, Robbo, Wattana, Liang, Fu etc all have to qualify for them in Sheffield. I suppose you're all for that set up too?

I'm fine with that. At the moment there are more British players qualifying. If/when there are more Chinese players than British, I'd be fine with qualifying in China.

OK Skully, so keep the qualifiers here until a day comes when the Asians overcome the massive handicap, and actually outnumber their British counterparts through the Sheffield qualifiers? Yeah, THATS fair! :shrug:

Postby Skullman

JIMO96 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

OK Skully, so keep the qualifiers here until a day comes when the Asians overcome the massive handicap, and actually outnumber their British counterparts through the Sheffield qualifiers? Yeah, THATS fair! :shrug:

Well what's the alternative? I'm strictly against splitting the qualifiers up so British players qualify in Britain, and Chinese ones in Asia.

Postby Sickpotter

jojo wrote:live and let live is what i say let him say what the buck he wants

it does create excitement as randam says

why should snooker be library silence ? in a way it a shame he gone out as he wont be coming out with any more controverial comments

and the fact that he one ugly looking bastard just make it more appealing i genuinely think mark allen is good for the game of snooker

he may not be in the alex higgins ronnie o sullivan mould of having talent but only a few are in the history of the game

<doh>

Spouting off blantantly racist crap kills snooker marketability period, end of story. No network will air it, no sponsor wants to be associated with it.

Snooker isn't the "library of silience" but it's governing body can't allow its to be a pulpit for small minded losers.

Postby JIMO96

Its not difficult. Hold the qualifiers in the same city (same country would be a start!) as the final stages. If WSA expect Cao to travel to Sheffield to qualify for the Crucible, then they should have no issues with Holt, Dale, Higginson, Campbell etc travelling to Haikou to qualify for the World Open.