Post a reply

Re: John Higgins interview...

Postby Monique

StalinESQ wrote:why the obsession with everythin being condensed / shorter / quicker......... :grrr:

It's a good question isn't it? And this is coming from John Higgins, the reigning World Champion and a man who himself has tried to set up a tour... Maybe it would be good to ask him the question and listen to his answer with an open mind.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:why the obsession with everythin being condensed / shorter / quicker......... :grrr:

It's a good question isn't it? And this is coming from John Higgins, the reigning World Champion and a man who himself has tried to set up a tour... Maybe it would be good to ask him the question and listen to his answer with an open mind.

monique with respect his tour failed its defuncting itself badly and if this is his brain work working id prefere if he shut up before he does the same thing to the World Championship...

1 day World final is he taking the snake hiss or what ?

Postby Monique

Personally I also prefer the longer formats however I had the curiosity to look at the results of the Crucible Finals over the last 20 years, results after 2 sessions and final result.
In 17 cases out of 20, the guy who was ahead after 2 sessions won it.
The three exceptions are 1994, 2000 and 2005. One Hendry vs White final and BOTH finals involving Matthew Stevens... bet he backs Higgins ideas? :rolleyes:
Now seriously that does say something about Matthew ...

Postby Monique

StalinESQ wrote:I think if anyones opinion is to be asked it should not be Higgo. <ok>

I'll ask the question (genuine question) once again: why?

Postby Smart

Monique wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I think if anyones opinion is to be asked it should not be Higgo. <ok>

Because he this is the guy who had a WORLD series with events in Jersey <laugh> , Poland <laugh> ....... come on its a standing joke, now he is either taking the snake hiss or he is more stupid than Blackadders assistant here with a one day final, what next scrap the real world champs and just have a 6 red version lasting one weekend. Sorry not impressed with Higgo one bit - FACTOSMARTO. <ok> :grrr: <ok> :grrr:

Postby Monique

StalinESQ wrote:
Monique wrote:

Because he this is the guy who had a WORLD series with events in Jersey <laugh> , Poland <laugh> ....... come on its a standing joke, now he is either taking the pass water or he is more stupid than Blackadders assistant here with a one day final, what next scrap the real world champs and just have a 6 red version lasting one weekend. Sorry not impressed with Higgo one bit - FACTOSMARTO. <ok> :grrr: <ok> :grrr:

lol yes... snooker events. A sport where the WORLD champioship involves 3 chinese + 1 guy from Hong Kong, 1 Australian and 27 blokes from the British Islands ... ah well they are English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish <doh> silly me! This IS the World.

Postby Wildey

monique

im a snooker fan i want to see snooker if the WC Final is played over one day Realisticly it cant be more than a 19 Frame Final unless its a 3 session best of 25 final starting 10am right through.

so if the Final is best of 19 other rounds cant be best of 33 or best of 25 can they meaning the whole tournament being reduced and with it credibility.

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

im a snooker fan i want to see snooker if the WC Final is played over one day Realisticly it cant be more than a 19 Frame Final unless its a 3 session best of 25 final starting 10am right through.

so if the Final is best of 19 other rounds cant be best of 33 or best of 25 can they meaning the whole tournament being reduced and with it credibility.

thats the important thing - the reason the worlds is loved so much is the duration of matches - which means the better players win thru - I'm staggered that this shortening proposal or even shortening being mentioned gets ANY support....

totally staggered <ok>

Postby Monique

Wild, I'm not asking for the format being shortened myself, I like it as it is, although I would love the WC to end on the Sunday (and start on the Friday if needed). But before jumping at Higgins and calling him all sorts of names I would be interested to listen to his reasons for wanting that change, that's all, and I think that's only fair.

Postby Monique

StalinESQ wrote:

thats the important thing - the reason the worlds is loved so much is the duration of matches - which means the better players win thru - I'm staggered that this shortening proposal or even shortening being mentioned gets ANY support....

totally staggered <ok>

If you read one of my posts above you will see that after 2 sessions the eventual winner was already ahead in 17 cases out of 20 since 1990. And as 2 of the 3 exceptions involve Matthew Stevens ... I think it's fair to say that it would not change a thing when it comes to who wins it. Matthew would have faltered under pressure in a shorter format just as well. He did in other competitions.

Postby Monique

StalinESQ wrote:Mon

You are speaking as a mainland European with the Sunday finish in mind. <laugh>

Yes I am. We are a few millions out there, you know, who work on that Monday ... after all this is the WORLD Championship innit?

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:

totally staggered <ok>

im flabbergasted snooker fans wants less snooker so they can watch coronation street and eastenders on the monday <doh>

john higgins goes on about wanting more work and he wanting less of it.....make up your mind for christ sake.

monique lets get one thing straight before we go on im not having a go at you but from what ive seen over on TSF there are some that desperately wants shorter matches which im almost speechless about if im honest <ok>
Last edited by Wildey on 20 Mar 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:Bank Holiday Monday and snooker go hand in hand - like fish and chips. :wave:

lets have 15 days of best of 19,25,33 frames and a 1 frame final.

it does seem some people aren't interested in the sport at all and wants it over with so they can bull on forums.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

totally staggered <ok>

im flabbergasted snooker fans wants less snooker so they can watch coronation street and eastenders on the monday <doh>

john higgins goes on about wanting more work and he wanting less of it.....make up your mind for christ sake.

monique lets get one thing straight before we go on im not having a go at you but from what ive seen over on TSF there are some that desperately wants shorter matches which im almost speechless about if im honest <ok>

Yes Wild they do. And seing that you should maybe question some of your certainties about people tuning better to longer matches and all... Once again I'm not advocating for shorter formats myself but at least I acknowledge the fact that there is a demand for them from at least a part of the snooker fans and I'd like to hear John's reasons for this. When I have listened to them, and only then, I'll be able to make a judgement.

Postby Wildey

monique

more people will be turned off than the few that might be turned on so the sport can do without these non snooker fans <ok>

Postby Monique

more people will be turned off than the few that might be turned on so the sport can do without these non snooker fans <ok>

You don't know that. Nobody knows if that would be the case or not without actually trying. It's just your opinion based on what you like.

Postby Smart

Monique wrote:

You don't know that. Nobody knows if that would be the case or not without actually trying. It's just your opinion based on what you like.

I think perhaps a poll is required ..... but I made it clear that if there were only 2 PROPER tournies then that is what I would watch.

I would also make the annual trip to the EISS, but short stuff does not float my boat. <ok>

Postby Wildey

monique

no i dont know it and over my dead body we will ever find it out either.

i just dont get it do people sit down watch Davis and Parrott bullshitting then the break off and in quarter of an hour look at the clock hoping it finishes soon.

snooker is a epic are we breading people that cant sit down and watch gone with the wind or old classics anymore.

Postby Wildey

anyway ive made my point still friends mon ?

Postby Roland

I've not seen the interview but any suggestion of having the final over one day is complete bull as far as I'm concerned!

What's he scared of? Is he thinking of the time Selby came back at him in 2007? It's a stupid idea full stop. Someone should point him in the direction of historic world finals, first to 18 is short compared to how it used to be. You want the best person to be world champion surely? Shorter formats = more likely to get freak winners

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:I've not seen the interview but any suggestion of having the final over one day is complete bull as far as I'm concerned!

What's he scared of? Is he thinking of the time Selby came back at him in 2007? It's a stupid idea full stop. Someone should point him in the direction of historic world finals, first to 18 is short compared to how it used to be. You want the best person to be world champion surely? Shorter formats = more likely to get freak winners

Spot bucking on <ok>
I don't think anyone who wins a World Championship over a one-day final can be truly recognised as a World Champion.

They screwed up the UK already, they don't want to do the same to a tournament that is absolutely perfect in every way.

People are entitled to opinions, but some people (8-year-old girls )will tell you that JLS are a greater band than the Beatles. How valuable is their opinion?

Postby Monique

thetubberlad wrote:
Sonny wrote:I've not seen the interview but any suggestion of having the final over one day is complete rubbish as far as I'm concerned!

Spot intercoursing on <ok>
I don't think anyone who wins a World Championship over a one-day final can be truly recognised as a World Champion.

They intercoursed up the UK already, they don't want to do the same to a tournament that is absolutely perfect in every way.

People are entitled to opinions, but some people (8-year-old girls )will tell you that JLS are a greater band than the Beatles. How valuable is their opinion?

OK but as I said FACT is that 17 times out of 20 the guy ahead after 2 sessions won it. And 2 times out of 3, when it did not happen ... it was Matthew Stevens ;) What do you make of that?